1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. gotroot801

gotroot801 Junior Member

My Prius replaced a 1998 Dodge Stratus that I was very happy with it, but I was offered a deal.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Feb 2 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]202988[/snapback]</div>
    I took my time answering this thread. It wouldn't let me select two different buttons, so I indicated the larger car. A 1990 Taurus wagon. It also replaced a 1990 Geo Metro. In its prime, the Metro got even better highway mileage than the Prius, but it's so puny compared to the Prius it can't be compared. Come to think of it, the 55 mpg I got with the Geo may have been at a time when the speed limit was still 55 mph. I've hauled as big loads in the Prius as I have in the wagon.

Both cars had over 200,000 miles on them. I'd be really disappointed if the Prius didn't do better than that. Hey, it replaces two cars. It should go 400,000 miles.

Dave M.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Feb 26 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]396914[/snapback]</div>
    Well the Prius cab here is nearly there. It's at 500,000 kms.

4. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

My Mom said she wanted to buy the big bad red convertible, a 2001 Sebring, so I went out there and got a Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 26 2007, 07:56 PM) [snapback]396929[/snapback]</div>

5. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(razzledazzlebee @ Feb 26 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]396569[/snapback]</div>
    Technical glitch? Fat fingers? Thanks for pointing it out, since I hadn't noticed. Fixed it now.
    I really wish I had a 2007 Package 9 :)

6. elzire

elzire New Member

2004 Mini Cooper S.... signed and numbered '64 Monte Carlo race edition... still have it, selling it though... :(

Attached Files:

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine replaced a 1995 Camry wagon with a blown head gasket, and 2 blown cylinders. It did pretty well for 195,000 miles, and the shop that bought it from me on the cheap took on the expense of repairing the engine. They sold it, and it's still serving someone else very well. I don't want to sound like a cheesy ad, but that's Toyota reliability for ya. I had no hesitation buying another Toyota.

The wagon had lots of space, but I haven't missed any of it yet. The Prius is big enough for most things I need to cart around.

8. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1994 Isuzu Trooper. It was at the stage where it was costing $200- $600 a month so a new car payment was eary to rationalize. I feel stupid for waiting so long though.

9. operatic

operatic New Member

Once it gets here, the Prius will replace my 1999 Honda CR-V (which is finally showing its age at 286,000 miles).

10. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR edition.

11. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My (our) acquisition was like one of those multi team player trades you hear about occasionlly. My wifes sister had a Carolla with about 3 billion miles on it and they were ready for a change. They had also mentioned that they really liked the RAV4 we had. (A side note, my wifes folks take care of our big debts even though we still pay them a microscopic interest rate.) my wife was also ready for something new and was willing to make a deal.

Meanwhile, I had an interest in the Highlander Hybrid which was new at the time. The car salesman, who had known the family for many years, told me that they were very limited in availibility just like the Prius was. He then told me about an interesting development with a Prius they had on the lot that had been on the now famous waiting lists. He said five out of six people rejected it because they did not like the configuration. Color, package, what have you. He was also certain that the sixth person would also reject it for the same reason. Low and behold, he was right. So then we scrambled to make a deposit and make it look like that we were also initially on the list. We saw it, loved it, got it, and the rest as they say, is history.

Been loving it ever since, and I honestly can't say we'd get something else even if we'd hit a multi million dollar lottery.

12. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Prius is replacing a '91 Camry (my first car - bought used in 2000).

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine replaced a black 2002 Accord coupe. I miss the manual transmission and sporty good looks, I don't miss all the times I needed to carry a simple carboard box greater than 14" to a side and realized there was no way to do it. I also don't miss an engine that idles at stop lights, working my butt off to break 40mpg, and wishing I had a Prius!

14. sebapisa

sebapisa Junior Member

I got got rid of my '01 325i. That ultimate driving piece of junk had 19 trips to the shop in just over 2 years.

15. gpb5200

gpb5200 New Member

I bought my 2007 Prius in February 2007. I had been driving a 1999 Subaru Outback since November 1998. While it certainly achieved better MPG than an SUV, I still could not get better than 25 from it. I had been considering my options for about 6 months, expecting to buy something new no earlier than Summer/Fall 2007. I was not crazy about hybrids, since the extra initial cost would barely pay for itself in gas savings, given my annual mileage vs. current gasoline prices. I certainly never would have considered the Prius; being fooled by its smallish exterior, I assumed it had the space of a Corolla inside. WRONG!
    In December, 2006, my wife and I went out with friends we hadn't seen in three years. They arrived at our house with a Prius, I believe a 2006, with almost all the bells and whistles, including HID headlights. They ofered to drive and I was shocked at the room when we got in. On the return trip, they allowed me to drive it and I had changed my attitude towards it.
    In February 2007, my Subaru's body rot around the windshield sprung a leak. The dealership quoted me $1200 to fix, which included a new windshield. Plus my suspension system had never been replaced, (143k miles) and that would have been another $800. No Deal.
    I was initially disappointed in having get another car, when nothing on the market really excited me. I had been waiting for Honda to debut its Accord diesels, which I was hoping would achieve 50-60 mpg. I couldn't wait while my passenger side turned into a swimming hole every time it rained, so off I went to test drive cars. After discovering that the Toyota Camry hybrid was about the same price as the top of the line Camry, with better mileage I had begun to reconsider hybrids.
    I test drove a Nissan Altima Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and a Prius. Hands down, the Prius won me over. The comparable room to the former two, plus better MPG and the way cool MFD sold me. It's only beena a week and a half, but I am loving the challenge of using the MFD to maximize my MPG.
    The Prius excites me! And the possibilities with modifications (when the warranty expires) excite me further. But, hopefully by the time I am ready for a new vehicle, some of the modifications (solar/plug in capability) will become standard.

16. Audio

Audio New Member

Made a booking for a DriftWood Pearl 2006 Prius which will replace my 2002 Accord 2.3 which had 100,000 Km on it.

Been wanting to change my car a few months ago but seen nothing exciting except for the Prius and Civic Hybrid. Buying a Hybrid car in Singapore makes no economic sense but time is running out, our residual car value in Singapore drops significantly after 5 yaers.

Do some soul searching and finally decided to follow my heart instead.....

(Audio)

17. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Feb 2 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]202988[/snapback]</div>

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with 45,000 miles. Lifetime conbined city/highway mileage, 38.21 mpg.

Attached Files:

• hyb1.jpg
      hyb1.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
  18. ozerdem

ozerdem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Feb 2 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]202988[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a White 2006 Prius with all of the factory options to replace my 2005 black prius with no factory options. I found that I loved the car, but black was just too hard to take care of. ;)

19. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my 1998 Saturn SL2. That car got 29mpg which is pretty good, but I wanted to do better as well as get myself a college graduation present!

20. aapopper

aapopper New Member

Audi A4 Canvas beige, 6 speed, leather, moonroof, heated seats, etc., etc., etc.

Sold it on ebay to a soldier on active duty in Iraq. Met up with him, fresh in from Iraq, in Chicago, did the deal, and he drove off, on leave, to Minnesota.

End of story.