1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. akrca4

akrca4 Junior Member

Replaced 2001 Audi S4 Bi-Turbo...no carpool lane access for the 80mi daily commute.

but missing the power, handling, ride, torque......=(

2. FrankBrock

FrankBrock New Member

Replaced a 1997 Lexus LS400 with 175,000 miles. The Lexus was still running great, but with major service coming up (timing belt/water pump) it seemed like a good time to get something new. The Prius seats are more confortable that I would have guessed, though I could use a bit more leg room (I'm 6'3"). The stereo (JBL in package #6) is almost as good at the Lexus. The only thing I really miss is the ability to blast from 60 to 100 mph from time to time -- although I won't miss the speeding tickets.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I replaced a 1998 Volvo Cross Country. I miss the feeling of quality but the Prius does everything I need very competently. I was on the waiting list for a Lexus RX400h for a year but the low mileage was a turn off for me. "Hiro" does not disappoint in that way. I have never had a car perform so well on gasoline. That turns out to matter a lot to me.

4. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Hey, we have one of those! Only 68,000 miles and now it's our extra car. I couldn't sell it for the trade-in value I was getting.....would rather keep it. My son has got his eye on it too, he just needs to get a little better with standard transmission.

Anyway, the Prius replaced my 2005 Cadillac SRX. My husband bought a Lexus RX400h and is driving that instead of his Audi. After he got the SUV I no longer felt compelled to be driving the big family car since most of the time I run around and it's just ME. The gas consumption was about 16mpg on Caddy. So his car is our big car now....and tough luck when family comes to visit...we will take a second car instead of putting up the third row seating in my Caddy. 95% of the time all I need is the Prius and I am really enjoying it!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I replaced a 1996 Saturn Coupe.

It has less than 50,000 miles on it but was over 9 years old. It was also a stick and I've gotten to the point where I need to start driving an automatic. Also, I have two herniated discs and the seats were killing my back.

I figure I'm entitled to a new car every ten years. And I usually spend around $20,000 for a car.

I bought the Saturn because the EV1 was only for lease. Now that there is a viable and desirable hybrid...I bought the best one I could find. The Prius hit everything I was looking for including good looks. But what sold me was the HATCHBACK! After the Saturn's really stupid trunk I wanted to go back to a hatchback again.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine is a bit complicated too. I'm replacing a fully electric pickup and a full gasoline Honda Civic. I don't have the space for two cars, and although I use much less energy having my choice of gas or electric, the hybrid is the only realistic *available* replacement since I need it all in one car.

The Civic is getting 38mpg all around, and the pickup gets infinite miles per gallon. ;)

7. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

hey darell - shouldn't you be over on CPF?

8. MyPria

MyPria New Member

Replaced a 2003 BMW X5 with 16K (Inherited the car from my spouse and truly disliked it) for a 2005 Prius. Traded the 2005 Prius for a 2006. Should have kept both Prii, because now my spouse is taking over mine. <_<

9. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Traded in a Matrix for the Prius.

10. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    '97 VW Cabrio. Too small for the offspring. I'm upsizing to a Prius?!
    (Works great with both kids inside, by the way)

11. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2000 Corvette convertible.

12. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    98 Subaru Impreza wagon

(great car but 26MPG sucks)

13. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    99 Camry fully loaded with 83,000 miles. Selling it now.

14. joelparks

joelparks New Member

1995 Suzuki Sidekick 4-dr. Never got less than 25mpg. Got 32 on the highway for a year or two until the 55 mph speed limit disappeared.
    Hopefully I'll still be able to pull my Sunfish trailer behind the Prius, I haven't tried it yet. The pop-up camper was light but still too much for the Sidekick, so we use the 2002 Forester to pull that, I won't even try to pull it with the Prius.
    Anyway, the Sidekick was a great car and my mother's driving it now. The only reason I got on the waiting list at Acton Toyota was because there were strange things happening which could have been the transmission but only turned out to be the clutch. Tranny work ($3200) would have totalled the car but clutch ($1100) was worth doing. Has 105,000 and still going strong.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had and still have a 1999 Ford Explorer that replaced a 1990 Explorer. Both were a good car (truck) and gave me good service. I have been every where I have wanted to go. I have had 4 Boy scouts and their gear and the troupe gear in a trailer and on the roof. Been up and down logging roads and pulled a few non 4WD cars out of a slippery spot once or twice. I still have the car and it is doing it's job, going places and doing things that my Prius, Belle, can not. Beauty and the Beast. I am happy that I can afford to have both in my front drive. I drive the Prius day to day and the Explorer when I need it. I don't regret having the SUV. It did the work it was intended to do and took me and my son and the troupe into the woods, streams and shore. It transported a lot of gear, bikes, canoes, and everything else. I did feel bad that I had to drive it day to day, but now I have the option to have both. One for the commute and one to do the work, though I suspect that the Explorer will end up in my son's hands. BTW I never said that! He works for the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) in Montana and has a greater need for a SUV than I do. I am proud of his choice of work, I only hope that he might afford to use it. I have no complaints about either car.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1998 Sienna minivan, with 130,000 miles. My car is actually a Ford Explorer Sporttrac, which nets out at 17 MPG in mixed driving. But since my commute is 80 miles round trip every day, my wife now drives my truck and I was driving the minivan. The Sienna was getting 22 MPG in mixed driving.

The Sporttrac gets 17 MPG even pulling our boat. You have to buy a truck or SUV to be able to tow any weight at all, since all US sedans since something like 1995 do not have good towing capacity (possible exception: someone told me the Dodge Magnum and its Chrysler twin can tow above 2500 pounds). So I'm keeping the truck, but it only gets driven 8 miles per day (unless we're lucky enough to be going sailing!)

My first tank with the Prius I was getting 47 MPG, and the second tank (the current one I'm on) is getting just around 50 MPG. This is based on the MFD computer ... I will average the mileage every ten tankfuls to try and allow for the variable gas tank capacity that makes calculating the mileage on a tank-per-tank basis inaccurate (unlike others here, I actually trust the MFD more than a manual calculation because of the variable gas tank capacity).

17. cowboy

cowboy New Member

&quot;Mountain Empire&quot; region of southeastern
    By the end of next week I hope to replace my 04 Ford F-150 with a SPM#8. The truck is the best I've owned, but is hard on my wallet for the 94 mile daily commute. I'll keep my '96 Ram 1500 beater for runs to the dump, hauling trees and gravel, etc.

18. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

My 2006 Prius replaces a 2003 Lexus GX470 SUV.

19. Prius Ron

Prius Ron New Member

I may have the most radical substitution here - I'm getting rid of my 2005 Maserati GranSport for the Prius. The Maserati is an absolutely amazing performance car but I'm really having trouble stomaching 12 miles per gallon. It's the pollution of burning all that gas that bothers me more than anything.

It wasn't anything I really thought about until Hurricane Katrina hit and gas supply was severely disrupted in my hometown and I began to learn about Peak Oil (the world cannot produce any more oil and supplies will start to decline soon just as demand is increasing significantly). If a lifetime sports car enthusiast can see the wisdom of driving a fuel efficient car, just about anybody should at this point.

20. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Must have made your vote complicated!