1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. limetime13

limetime13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced a 2007 Volvo Cross Country AWD Turbo station wagon. It was a very sweet ride with only 12,000 miles on it. Have two other Volvo wagons in the family - both handed down to children at this point - but always wanted the Cross Country version. WELL, I'm not sure what I was thinking, but (of course) the MPG was worse than the regular wagons.....duh! It was a lovely car, but I discovered that 19 mpg average just wasn't any fun and that the Prius was very useful with the hatchback and could carry my kayak on top, just the same as the Volvo.

Haven't looked back (bot do miss the heated seats......) ;)

2. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Replaced a 1999 F150. I have driven essentially the same truck for 15 years (had a 1992 until 2004). Short cab, short bed, 4wd, V6. Great "little" big truck but just couldn't justify 15 mpg when I only used it as a truck 20 days a year. Had a Prius as a rental car for a week and I was a complete convert...came home and bought one a week later.

3. mbarlow

mbarlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1998 Passat (B5 platform). This car has 180,000 mi and will be handed down to my 18 year old daughter as her college car. I still enjoy driving it and the 1.8t has been a workhorse of an engine. I will take off the sport springs, remove the Neuspeed chip and put the factory wheels back on for her.

4. PriusKH

PriusKH New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a highly modded 06 acura TL... took it into a concrete wall head on while driving (speeding is more like it, really really stupid) on a unfamiliar offramp, car caught on fire (no joke)we started running and it blew up like straight out of a movie... more importantly, thank god no one including my friend and I were hurt (not even scratched, quite a miracle in itself)... SOOOO a year ago i got a prius, i thought i would never say this or much less be on a prius chat forum, AWESOME AWESOME CAR! it gets better every year as i drive by laughing at everyone at the gas station! :thumb:

5. holy_crap

holy_crap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Replaced 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 for a Prius!

6. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    great loss of extra spcae...how you holding up?

7. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced an 05 Subaru Outback wagon with 88,000 miles. I love how the Subies drive, but I think there were some glitches in the 05 year for the Outback...was the first year they switched to a more upscale interior feel. Blew through 7 sets of headlights (Subaru said it was bad batch of bulbs at first...but 3 years later and they are still blowing?? Don't think so!), stereo volume would mysteriously go up and down on its own, 02 sensors acting wonky...and my 100,000 mile warranty would be ending soon. Seemed like the right time to move on.

Plus I drive 2 hours a day and the best I could get out of the Outback was 28 mpg (that was on a GOOD day). Idea of a reduced carbon footprint plus increased gas mileage was too good to pass up :)

8. lrwPrius

lrwPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2004 4Runner.
    The truck was great for winter and hauling "stuff" and 2 big dogs, but I couldn't deal with 20MPG anymore. Now I'm saving $100/mo on car payments and probably $200/mo on gas!!

Have had my Prius for 2 weeks, 3 days...haven't had to drive in a major snowstorm yet, but have hauled both stuff and dogs with success. Slight learning curve for all of us. Easter day we're all in the car going to relatives...German Shorthair Pointer in back and he still hadn't quite gotten the concept of the sloped rear hatch...sees squirrel...you can imagine the sound of blockhead hitting rear window (KLUNK!) :rofl: He's learning.

LOVE THE CAR...why didn't I do this sooner? :D

9. 05 Solar Prius

05 Solar Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I replaced a 1977 Volkwagen rabbit that i converted to pure electric back in 93. I have over 110,000 miles of pure electric on it combined with the original 143,000 it had when diesel. I drove it into the ground! When I retired it last month it was falling apart. The sixth battery pack was dying, the seats are torn. door handles were not working. the window cranks were hard to move, the radio went, head liner tore off, smashed fender, no horn, weak head lights, etc. RIP my old friend.:pray2:

Want my 05 to be more electric! Any ideas?

10. Blue Nimhrod

Blue Nimhrod New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My car was a 2000 Dodge Intepid

11. mrsims

mrsims Minister of Silly Walks

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced a Subaru WRX wagon (2002). Loved that car, but not filling it up with 93 Octane @ 26 MPG on a good tank...

Mike in Little Rock

12. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our Prius replaced a 1989 Nissan Maxima. (I know about time I bought a new car... Bla Bla Bla....
    Old gal just started to rot away, brake lines, exhaust, manifold had a crack in it. With over 140,000 miles on the clock I just couldn't put another dime into her, so off she went. (Of course this just after I put a new heater relay, stalk switch, master window switch. Car had a little electrical gremlin in it that would cause all kinds of mischief!)

13. jeromehoward

jeromehoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    '92 Taurus SHO...custom ordered from factory.
    For a Ford, it was a great car. Very fast "sleeper".

Finally, just too many yearly repairs.
    However, I'm still grieving.

14. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lease was up on this. 2004 Volvo S60R. AWD, 4 piston Brembos, 300hp, 6MT, and the best seats in the business.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^thats a total sleeper^

16. SpeedBump

SpeedBump New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Prius replaced a 2005 supercab Tundra that I enjoyed a great deal, but it only got 17 mpg. I'm a retired teacher in Texas, and I make several trips each month to the coast to fish. The Prius makes it possible to do that while using less gas. My gass bill is one-third what it was. I had forgotten how nice it is to be able to fit into anything vaguely resembling a parking spot. With the Tundra, it wasn't that easy sometimes.

17. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My beauty replaces a 2005 Infinity FX 35. Great car. Love the car, hate the gas mileage 18mpg. Simply did the math comparing operating costs and such, took a test drive in the beauty, and bought mine over the internet. I didn't think the Prius was for me until I test drove one. My friends gave me a lot of grieve over the Prius at first. Now three of them have bought one. Amazing car!

18. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Black 1995 Saab 900SE V6. Already in love with 5-door platform with that one, but definitely don't miss the worsening gas mileage or pricey and frequent repairs (surprised it lasted as long as it did). The ignition switch located behind the shifter on the middle console in the Saab was almost as cool as the "Power" button in the Prius. Still getting the same "you paid how much for a hatchback?" comments, sigh.

19. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It won't pass my SRT8 Jeep. :)

20. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Replaced my 99 Pontiac Grand Am V6. That was real fun to drive. Will miss it. But the stop and go traffic and congested parking lots of NJ prius makes more sense.