1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With both kids gone, well one in college and the other back home for a bit, the need for the family Suburban just was not there. It was kinda difficult to convince the wife that she does NOT need a tank any more. But it is gone and eagerly awaiting our red (hopefully) Prius. Three times the mpg should be nice.

2. bryanlcar

bryanlcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced a 2007 MB C230. Nice car but not as fun as the Prius.

3. lindaparky

lindaparky New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my prius is replacing a 2005 Ford F250 four door very large truck, which uses alot of gas.............:mad:

4. realale

realale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ours actually replaced two cars - a '99 Passat Station Wagon and an '04 Toyota Sienna. We are now officially a one car family of four!

5. mycarhasadent

mycarhasadent New Member

2000 Audi A6... and still thrilled with it!

6. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Technically replaced a 1991 Toyota Camry with 110,000 miles. But that was really my wife's car that we shared for a year. My former car was a 1991 Nissan Sentra GXE with 175,000 miles. We finally got rid of both as they were starting to show their age and had no safety features (read no airbag)! She got a 2008 Chevy Aveo top package but she only drives about 5 miles a day so a Prius would not be worthwhile for her! I put over 140 miles a day so it makes sense!

If this was posted twice sorry!!

7. infogeek

infogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I replaced my 1998 Subaru Outback to use less gas, I'm spending less time in the wilderness, and it had clutch and head gasket problems.

8. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I traded in my Toyota Avensis T3X.. I miss the folding mirrors... but not the cost of running it!

9. van-island

van-island New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Replaced my beat up (rear ended, rolled, and rear ender) 1987 Honda Accord LX with 260,000 km on it with a Black 2009 base model Prius.

BC government gave me $2250 under the Scrap-it program and waived the sales tax too. :)

10. mrplease

mrplease New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my wife replaced her 2005 pearl white lincon aviator with a 2005 super white prius...

from this...
    [​IMG]

to this...
    [​IMG]

11. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It doesn't really matter what I traded for my 09 Prius. I bought one for a couple reasons:
    1. I admire.... no... drool over the technology
    2. Love what the thought Totyota put into the design and build of the car
    3. I've owned Toyota's before and bought a Prius for the reliability
    4. Bought it for the effeciency - read: mileage. Heck the thing gets better mileage than my 650cc motorcycle!

12. Road Fan

Road Fan One-Prius,one Audi,7-bike Family

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We have two. My wife's Prius replaced a Saab 9-5 station wagon, and my Prius replaced a BMW 328i sedan.

13. sstemann

sstemann New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    my total'd 2004 VW Golf...love the hatchback and size - ready for more room and more green

14. peSHIr

peSHIr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Will pick up new Prius on january 2nd 2009 (European Tech edition, probably fully loaded compared to your US packages, or at least close to it) to replace my current Skoda Fabia company car, one of the later Mark I types, with the square fog lights.

15. jayarek

jayarek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Purchased 2006 Prius in Jan 2006 to replace my 1991 Saturn SC. It was getting time. Had also recently sold my 1969 Lincoln Continental. Really liked those suicide doors. Thrilled with the Prius.

16. TedSallis

TedSallis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wife and I both had Saturns, mine was a 2003 and hers a 2004. Originally we got mine first then she liked it so much she got one too. Hers got killed when we got T-boned by an 18 yr old in his daddy's car who ran a red light and nailed us at 65mph. Car looked fine but the frame did it's job and took one for the team. We were shaken but fine. Car was totalled so she got the 2004 to replace it.
    We looked at the Prius in July but the salespeople were WAY too smug about not dealing and their waiting list so I urged that we wait until we could be in a better position as far as making a deal went. What a difference 6 months can make! Economy in the toilet and credit hard to come by+ $1.50 gas added up to 10+ units to choose from on the lots all over town. We just bought TWO 09 Prius' and made a nice deal actually managing to get money off sticker, great value on hour trade ins and made them throw in some nice extras (integrated Sirius on mine and security package on hers). The fact that we were buying two on the last day on the year didn't hurt out bargaining position any ;) We wanted them before gas was 4 bucks a gallon for environmental reasons and could not be more happy to have our dynamic duo in the driveway!
    Our main reason as stated was environmental and we felt genuine anger towards GM for their mishandling of the electric car in CA. They took a short view and it is costing them everything now, they could have been on top of the industry if they had not been so stupid so they deserve it. It stinks that the US taxpayers will have to help foot the bill for their idiocy. We're glad to be out of the Saturns and into the Prius!

17. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My previous car was an Acura RSX Type S.... 210 HP and great (for that much power) gas mileage: 28+ in town and 35+ on the road. Went to the Prius because of better gas mileage and more functionality for hauling things and fitting in more than two people. The RSX is basically a 2 seater with room for one child turned sideways in the backseat.:)

18. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2001 (MkI) Ford Focus Zetec, 1.6 litre. Bought in August 2002, replaced in April 2008.

My spreadsheet of fuel consumption shows I got an average of 39mpg (Imperial gallon) over the time I had the car. (It also shows that the last time petrol prices were this low was in July 2005!)

So far the Prius has been achieving over 50mpg. I haven't updated the spreadsheet from the record book in the car since September, when it was 58.8mpg. The car itself is showing 57.6mpg, having been reset a month or so after buying it.

The figures are more stark in fuel consumed per unit distance: in the metric units, the Prius used 4.9 L/100km, while the Focus used 7.2 L/100km. That's a reduction of 32%.

The Focus is the best-selling car in Britain, and has been for practically every month since it was first introduced. I believe the 1.6 petrol is the most common variant. It's almost frightening to think that we could reduce fuel consumption so much if everyone switched to hybrids.

19. czneko

czneko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just purchased a Prius on Dec 31, 2008. Replace a 2000 Ford Explorer. Wanted more MPG and green!!

20. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This might be the biggest change on this forum, but my new Prius replaced my 2005 BMW 645 Ci. Which is a 18 MPG 4.3 Liter,300+ HP monster.:eek: Great car, but I didn't feel great about driving it these days (bad conscious). I've always wanted the V8 testosterone experience and I've gotten it out of my system. It was also way overpriced (even used) and I lost so much on the trade in. But I love my Prius and driving a smart car suites me better!!:)