1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow - you and the guy with the Vette are doing a serious change-out. I have owned several sports cars, but am coming out of an SUV, so the Prius handling is a major improvement. Hope it is not too much of a disappointment in your case!

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uh-oh. I've been discovered hanging out with the Prius crowd. No clue who you are, but I guess *I'm* pretty obvious!

3. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

When we decided to buy the Prius I had to give up my beloved 95 Corolla...jut hit 90K miles and hummed as it did the day I took it off the lot. Toyota dealer offered me book but knew it was worth more as it was truly cherry. I parked it on a main street with a For Sale sign for $1000 more and it was gone in 20 minutes.

I thought I would miss it terribly. I did until I drove the Prius for a day. Now when ask about it, I say "What Corolla!!?" I am delighted with the Prius.

The only thing that disturbs me about it is facts that are outlined in our site that may or may not be true...paint is thinner than other Toyotas, body brace needs to be replaced with larger one, cloth fabric wears and stains easily, antenna on roof is a bad idea, radio sounds tinny, should have come with door moldings, front and hood is unprotected, etc.

All in all, I say you get what you paid for and with it all I think we all got more than we paid for. Of course, the '07 will have all that we complain about now.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm. First I've heard of "thin paint." But then there's no way I've read EVERYTHING here in the short while I've been around.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

good for you! i'm starting to think this thing is catching on afterall.

6. soboy

soboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our '05 Prius replaced my wife's '96 Mercury Villager with 125,000 miles. Nothing really wrong with the Villager, but it was starting to show its age, little things that were more of an annoyance than anything else, and she was ready for a new car after almost 10 years. I never liked minivans, so I am happy she wanted a hybrid. We went from 17 mpg to 50 mpg, a really nice bonus. And we are using her Prius as the family car, which is working out quite well.

7. TidelandTravis

TidelandTravis New Member

Lease was up on my 2005 Mercedes S430 and my 2nd car Audi Allroad was all problems, so I dumped it for the Prius. I miss the benz, and with the 7 speed tranny it got good mpg on the highway... I wanted the Lexus RX400h, but the mileage was unimpressive. The prius is a great car... but I see myself going back to a benz when the novelty wears off (and the HOV stickers expire!)

8. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

I gave up a 92 Plymouth Acclaim. It only had 160,000 miles on it but the paint was peeling off, numerous dents, nearly caught fire in the steering column. Motor was starting to sound bad, shocks and strutts were bad. The car was falling apart. Trunk leaked like a faucet, head lights would fill up with water and then lamp would explode. Was afraid it wouldn't last till I got to the dealer. Got $100 for it and was happy with that. It was a piece of junk.
    Kathleen

9. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2005 Acura MDX

16MPG on Premium for the MDX vs 48 MPG on Regular for the Prius is saving me $235 a month on fuel with a $150 lower financing payment. Plus, I love owning/driving my Prius.

Why did I wait so long?

10. v8statesman

v8statesman New Member

I love that quote! My Holden Caprice takes the 90° corner at the end off the freeway near where I live at 90(km/h)!

11. kDB

kDB New Member

1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
    225,000+ miles, 19mpg
    sold for $700, could have got more. i loved that car, sad day when i let it go. i kept saying "your gonna do what to it!?!?"...

oh well, all for the better.

12. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 2005 Prius replaced a 1998 Chevy Malibu with 75,000 miles on it. My old car was a piece of junk. Constant start-up problems, squeaky brakes, faulty brake light, broken horn... the list goes on. I don't miss it and will NEVER buy anything from GM again.

My Prius does everything I expect a car to do. :)

13. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

traded 2004 Scion XA & 2005 Scion XB for 2005 Prius
    traded 2001 Honda Insight for 2002 Prius Gen 1

2005 is the family car
    2002 is the commuter

14. habel

habel New Member

I went from a Rover 75 with a 2,5L V6 to the 2006 Prius! :)

[attachmentid=2116]

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius will be replacing my 1996 Saturn SC2 (very small coupe). :)

16. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Please explain your post. I found it fascinating. You are referring to your Prius, aren't you?

18. cdavid

cdavid Member

2003 Honda Accord EX-V6

New owner took it away today, I'm feeling a little blue.

19. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

That exactly how i felt when that lucky guy drove my Corolla away. I really bonded with tht car. Drove the Prius a few days and while I still appreciate my little Corolla I'm delighted to have the Prius.

20. driveprius

driveprius New Member

My 2005 Prius sort of replaced my 1995 Honda Accord LX. I say sort of because I decided to hold on the Accord as a spare car for taking into the city once a week. I got my Prius in October and I drove with driving my Accord only once a week I managed to stretch it's tank for over 3 months! In general I don't like driving my Accord, except when I'm driving into a not so nice part of Philadelphia. Then I have peace of mind that my new Prius is not at risk of damage.

So here's the match up:

Honda Accord LX (with about 140,000 miles on it) restricted for traffic-free highway driving on weekends. No local driving to keep wear and tear down on car. Interior space is about the same as a 2005 Toyota Corolla. Total tank size about 13 gallons and 390.9 miles total. Average mileage 30.1 mpg for the tank. So this mileage is about as good as it's going to get.

Vs.

2005 Toyota Prius. More interior space, more trunk space and more comfortable than Accord. Tank capacity is about 9 gallons. Heavier car than Accord. Equivalent acceleration level. Much better brakes. Much quieter at all speeds than Accord. Driven in mix of local driving and some highway miles. Total miles during same time 2700 miles. Worst tank mileage 40 mpg. Best tank mileage 52.1 mpg. The best mileage is ahead of me as the weather will get warmer.