1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car does your Prius replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Feb 2, 2006.

?
  1. Large SUV or Truck (Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, etc.)

11.5%
  2. Mid-size SUV or Truck (Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc.)

14.9%
  3. Small-SUV or Truck (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc.)

7.3%
  4. Minivan

6.5%
  5. Large Sedan / Coupe

6.4%
  6. Medium Sedan / Coupe

18.5%
  7. Small Sedan / Coupe

13.4%
  8. Sports Car

7.9%
  9. Wagon

5.9%
  10. Other

3.1%
  11. Not replacing anything - Prius is my first car or additional car

4.6%
  1. SalsaMike

SalsaMike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    05 Prius Option 6 replaced 1987 Acura Legend Coupe LS with ~250,000 miles on it. Legend was the best car I ever owned but as much as I loved my Legend I love my Prius even more!

2. husve

husve New Member

06 Prius pkg#2 replaced 92 corolla with 10K miles.
    The repair cost and rust push me to consider Prius.

3. gippah

gippah New Member

'96 Geo Metro

4. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius will (in about 2 weeks) directly replace a 1997 Rav4 and indirectly replace a 1991 Cherokee.
    Let me explain: a little over two years ago I first looked at getting a Prius to replace my Cherokee. The
    Jeep was getting to that age where stuff just wears out or breaks regularly and I have a long commute
    (100 miles round trip) so reliability is important to me. And better gas mileage wouldn't hurt either. The
    problem was the lead time. I couldn't wait that long so my wife got a new vehicle and I got her Rav4.
    Last November we decided to try again for a Prius as we were no longer under any time constraint.
    The goal being to get a better mileage commuter and to sell off the Rav while it still has some commercial
    value (and before it gets to that age where stuff just wears out or breaks regularly)

5. gsipos

gsipos New Member

I sold my 1998 Mercedes E-320. It was a great car and a great ride, but I am much happier now with my Prius.

Sending less of my hard earned cash to the middle east while spewing out fewing emissions makes me feel better.

6. highroute

highroute New Member

My 2006 Prius replaced a 1990 Honda Civic Si hatchback. It was a great car for 16+ years, but getting a bit long in the tooth.

7. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

Replaced a sick '91 Honda Accord. It was eating oil, and the engine had ran dry on oil twice, so it was time for a new car. Was getting ~30mpg, now 50+...am very happy.

8. faastguy

faastguy Junior Member

A 1991 Ford Aerostar 4x4. Wonderful soccer-mom car for an early 90s model!! Great "snow-beater" car also!!

Have since retired, and am moving out of snow country to the coast. No more kids (that I'd admit to, anyway). No cities nearby, just twisty roads. Yeehaw!!

9. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

The car that I actually turned in to the dealership was a 2004 Ford Expedition XLT with 18,000 miles on it. The car that this is actually "replacing" as my daily commuter is a 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320.

The problem now is that the Benz is holding on to gas a lot longer than the Prius but not because it has better mileage but because I find myself actually preferring to take the Prius out on the weekends.

10. kickingtv

kickingtv New Member

I traded in a 2004 Audi A4 - So far, the only thing I really miss is the stereo. The Audi had one of the best sounding stereos I've ever heard in a car.

I'm sure I'll miss the performance once the newness of the Prius wears off (had it for less than a week) and the Quattro when it's snowing, but I don't miss the premium gas and low-mid 20's mpg...

I have to say, I'm having a lot of fun in the Prius so far. :)

11. eugenelin

eugenelin New Member

Replaced a 2001 Lexus GS 300 w/ 60k miles. She was a wonderfully, wonderfully quiet car that spent most of her time idling in traffic burning fuel and emitting exhaust.

-Euge

12. mmmdowning

mmmdowning Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2005 Solara SLE loaded, I will miss the car, 112 miles a day i had to change.

13. roguenode

roguenode New Member

Although I don't have a prius yet (will be placing order on magnetic gray #7 very soon), it will be replacing my Lexus GS400 sedan. The Prius is a lot slower/less responsive, but is well worth it to be polluting less and getting far better gas mileage. The GS currently gets 15MPG. I'll save over $100 a month on gas alone. :eek:

I'll be leaving behind some of the Lexus comforts, but it's not too much of a change and I get to stay with Toyota build quality. :)

14. Smug

Smug New Member

I rented a Camry once. Turned me against Toyotas until I slipped into a Prius (except for the seats of course).

15. volkl

volkl Junior Member

I am waiting on a 2006 #7 Prius to replace my 1998 Lexus GS300, which is the best car I ever owned --- it was unfortunately totaled by a kid driving carelessly. It was the most expensive car I ever bought new and I intended to drive it forever.

i loved that car, and hope that i will like the prius.

(enjoy this website.)

16. roguenode

roguenode New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(volkl @ Apr 12 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]238884[/snapback]</div>
    With #7 package you should have better nav than the 98 GS (if you had nav option) somewhat equivelant stereo (gain mp3 player input, lose sub I believe), trading leather for cloth interior, even worse vague steering, less comfort, etc..... BUT, we probably both agree the gains are greater, or we wouldn't be here would we? :D

I don't necessarily expect the Prius to match the quality of my GS. It should not be expected to, it costs half as much. But, when I compared the Prius interior materials, noise levels, panel gaps, and other fit/finish details, including techie tidbits, I think it outclassed all of it's competitors, including those within the Toyota family.

I took three seperate test drives to make sure I'd be happy with the switch, and I'm satisfied I'll be happy, especially if I can get my preferred color/option package.

17. TransplantInTN

TransplantInTN New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Feb 2 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]202988[/snapback]</div>
    My husband is a musician in Nashville and plays upright & electric bass. Once we discovered his upright and his amps would all fit in the Prius, we sold his mid-size '92 Dodge Dakota pickup truck and got our "red rocket." (Package #4, 2006). We LOVE IT!

18. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I got my Prius 2 weeks ago, I retired my '89 4Runner (one of the last of the two-doors) that I drove for 17 years to dirt road/camping use only.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

98.5 SVT Contour. I'm trying really really hard not to sell it. Awesome highway milage for such a big engine.

20. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Feb 2 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]202988[/snapback]</div>

I replaced a 2001 Mazda Tribute that had 168,000 miles, a slipping transmission, two broken fog lights, and engine mounts going bad. Oh, the windshield also had about 5 cracks. Except for the mediocre 17.5 mpg, I loved my Tribute. Altho it was near falling apart at the end, I never had to make any major repairs before I traded it in. I loved my Tribute, tho. It got us out of town in the middle of the night when Hurricane Katrina was just offshore.

I considered many other models before I bot my 2006 Prius three weeks ago. Including: Matrix, Mazda 3 hatchback, Mazda 6 hatchback, Dodge Caliber, Sonata, Spectra 5, Rio 5, the 2007 Camry, and the 2007 RAV4. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Thus, I needed a vehicle with a large cargo area when the rear seats are folded down so I can evacuate them with me if another hurricane comes our way. The Prius is perfect. The only thing that held me off for a while was concern over the replacement cost of the battery. I drive 140 miles per day. Thus, the 8 year, 150,000 warranty on the battery will only last about 4 years for me.

But the mpgs and the cargo space won me over. I will save about $288 on gas each month compared to my Tribute, and my note on my Prius is $323. Thus, the gas savings will almost cover the note.

Gary