1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what caused my 2008 package 5 touchscreen to crack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by WWJD08, Sep 13, 2009.

1. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :( My wife told me that on the touchscreen when useing the climate display to adjust temp, the up and down arrows would not work, inside air flow and out side air would not work.
    I took it in to the dealership and they showed me the screen had a crack in it :eek: causing this problem. The car is 1 yr 2 months old and has 21k miles on it, so it still has a factory warranty.
    I was told that this is not covered under warranty:confused: I asked what would cause this to happen and was not given a reason . this costs $7600.00 to replace.
    Is there anyone else out there that has had this Problem?

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No Pun intended, was that $7,600.00 to replace??? That's close to 1/3 the cost of a vehicle!! Are they out of there mind??

I would check around. The only reason I could think it would crack is someone accidentally hit it, or did something. I have had touchscreens for years and "never" had a problem with any of them.

Something is not right for sure. Call your Rep.

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do a search on MFD Cracked. I see from other posts they were able to get a refurbished unit for less than 1,000.00. I did not find any reason for them to crack in the post, but it may be a cheaper alternative for you. I also saw that sometime they could be had on ebay.

Good luck and if you get any info on "How" they crack would be interesting.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it got hit with something you may want to check with your car insurance and see if its covered under your comprehensive coverage, but at $7600 it may be worth it to have a "thief" break in and steal it while you are out at the movies to get it covered.

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [/i]

YouTube - Car Rental

Your warranty question reminds me of a seinfeld episode. To paraphrase, you know how to take a warranty, you don't know how to honor your warranty, which is the most important part of the warranty.
    Perhaps call a toyota rep, the dealerships are owned independently.

1 person likes this.