1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What color is the reverse light wire and ground wire

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by rock88, Aug 11, 2013.

1. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I am installing a back up camera, the camera has two wires which needs to be connected to the reverse wires. One is positive and one is black ground.And also the front monitor has to three rca cables ( white , red and yellow) , the yellow would be the input for the camera wire , the red would be the power and white i dont know if i need to connect anything at all.
    I want the monitor to turn on when engaged in reverse and off when disengaged. I have heard sometimes you just get a blue screen when disengaged but want the monitor off when not in reverse.

Thanks

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    well i dont know what camera you have, but when a monitor has 3 rca cables, they are just for audio and video. i havent heard of them using a rca cable to carry power. so you might want to check again what you got with the camera, because i believe you should have gotten a separate power cord.

3. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    yes , i do have a power cable with positive and negative, that is plugged in the red rca.
    any ideas where i can connect that to , so i can have the screen turn on when in reverse and off when disengaged.
    Thanks

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    im not sure where you can get the reverse signal in the front of the car, but to be quick and easy you can simply run the positive wire from the reverse light to the front of the car.

5. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    or i can run the monitor's positive wire from the front to the back of the positive reverse wire and then just ground the black wire , so if the is in reverse the camera will turn on and the monitor will turn on. then disengaged from reverse both shut off. Would that be a easier way . I heard if you hook this up wrong then the monitor can stay on and only show a picture when i reverese and when not in reverse the monitor will stay blue screen.
    what you think thanks

6. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    hope someone can answer that , i dont want to short anything thanks

7. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    does anyone also know if the reverese wires are black ground and red positive , so cars have dual colors thanks
    In a prius 2012 and 2013 should be the same i guess thanks

8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    the easy thing to do is just look at the tail light from the insde as if you wanted to replace the reverse light. the 2 wires are going to be the positive and negative. most likely the negative wire will be a black wire.

running a cable from the rear to the front is the same as running a cable from the front to the rear.

9. rock88

rock88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ya thats probaly what i need to do, i think the green wire from the monitor for the back up camera goes to the positive reverse wire ,thats what i have been told
    Does anyone know if thats right.

10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    what camera and monitor do you have? have a online link?