1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What color is your 2016 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Apr 15, 2016.

?
  1. Blizzard Pearl

20.3%
  2. Blue Crush Metallic

16.3%
  3. Classic Silver Metallic

13.0%
  4. Hypersonic Red

16.3%
  5. Magnetic Grey Metallic

14.6%
  6. Midnight Black Metallic

7.3%
  7. Sea Glass Metallic

12.2%
  1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Probably but I don't think it's a recent problem. My silver 2006 Prius seemed to show a lot of scratches and nicks really quickly, whereas the 2010 Winter Grey Metallic was still in pretty good shape after 112K miles. Maybe it was the color, but i didn't notice any scratches.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, it's not a recent problem. I'd say in the last 10 years or so, paint and interior materials really got "cheap" in Toyota's. Just my 5 cent opinion.

When the paint chips off, the color underneath is a darkish grey. (At least on my Camry it was.) So maybe the Winter Grey Matallic is the way to go! :) That, plus have one of those "clear bra" things put on.

Going back to my dealer tomorrow...

(But I sure hate to see Penelope cry. :cry:)

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't like the idea of the clear bra because I've heard that dirt can get trapped on the edges - but then I've never actually seen one that I know of. Winter Grey is a nice color and easy to maintain, but can be a little boring, unless it's pretending to be blue, or black, or even purple.

What are you getting from your dealer tomorrow?

4. bowerda47

bowerda47 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Same Exterior and Interior colors as mine. Gorgeous!
    Ok All. This is probably akin to Japanese Hari-Kari, but here goes. The person who complains about a problem but does nothing, Is part of the problem. What I am saying is, If you have an issue with your vehicle pursue it through the warranty, the dealer, or the manufacturer. If you do not communicate your issue, no one will know it is an issue. PriusRos said "What I find annoying is that within about a week my premium paint got a ding in it. A small scratch/chip on the nose (a few inches from the Toyota badge) that's all the way through to the dark plastic. The paint seems really thin in spite of the supposedly extra layers! They didn't have any blizzard pearl touch-up paint in stock. My sales rep said he'd send me some when it comes in - but it's been several weeks and still hasn't arrived." Okay PriusRos, first, if you insist on using touch-up paint, complain to sales rep. Why is it taking so long. But I would never use touch-up paint. Just my 35 years experience as a Senior Experimental Test Engineer. If you really think the paint is thin, tell them you think it is defective and demand a new bumper or whatever part it is. Coast Cruiser said "Auto companies have cheapened the paint, just like they've cheapened everything else. ( I think they actually buy it from an outside company.)" so Coast Cruiser, You think they cheapened the paint? Did you know the Vehicle OEM's can not use Lacquer paint anymore? Why? Because of the Government EPA requirements. So, they have to use water base paints to comply with the regulations. Oh, and by the way, you were correct. They do buy the paint from outside companies. Paint OEM's, BASF, Pittsburgh Paint, Etc., Etc. Vehicle OEM's build vehicles, not formulate paint. Remember all, The 9 scariest words in the English language: "We're From The Government And We're Here To Help" Hope I haven't teed off everybody. Open to friendly discussions.

pjm877 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  5. bowerda47

bowerda47 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Comments I just posted on another thread:

Reality Check: What a STUPID thing to be concerned about! Big whoop, so my white car shows dirt! But I'm getting 60 MPG! And I'm VERY blessed and fortunate just to HAVE a new car!!! (y) People are dying in earthquakes; And thousands are homeless! And here I sit in the comfort of my home, eating a nice chicken dinner... and chatting on the Internet about a little dirt on my friggin' white PreEye! :sick:

God, you can make that white car as dirty as you wish! Thank you for your blessings.

#46 Coast Cruiser, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Jim in NC, Oversplode and 'LectroFuel like this.
  7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota and other automakers like to spray white paint under the outside paint coat, so that when your paint chips, you'll have no choice but to buy some expensive touch-up paint. Under my black paint (when the golf ball hit my hood), there was white paint which was very noticeable.

The touch-up paint took a while to be delivered to me, too. The service department said they would call me when my touch-up paint arrives at the dealer. I waited a month and they didn't call. I called the dealer and asked if they had them in stock. They said they did! They totally forgot!:mad:

PriusRos likes this.
  8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a thread about the color of your Prius - why you chose it, whether you like it, or whether you have any regrets. If it were a thread about restaurants, would you say that it's so stupid to be complaining that the steak was overcooked when many people in the world may have never even had a chance to eat a full meal a day?Yes, it's silly and trivial. But it's fun!

Yeah, right. Every time I get a ding in the paint I'll insist that they replace the whole part.(y) Actually, I did call to ask whether the paint has come in. It hadn't. The sales rep was sending it to me gratis anyway. What's the use of complaining?PeterKG,I'mJp,apt5020,LectroFuel,Nicholas Sorense,njettlash1000Would one of you please post exterior and interior pictures of your black Prius? ;)

glennonrp likes this.
  9. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the paint quality was better in the 2010 model. My '13 Prius c had extremely thin and easy to scratch paint. It stands out among all the cars I have owned for that. It certainly could have used a factory clear coat.

10. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What color was it?

11. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks great!

A couple questions about the dark gray, does it get super hot in the sun (like black) and does it tend to show or hide dust?

12. Oversplode

Oversplode Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live in The Panhandle of FL and it hasn't gotten super hot here yet. On the days where it has been 80s I have been pleasantly surprised that it was not very hot in the car after sitting all day.

I wasn't able to wash the car on Sunday like normal and looking at it, it doesn't appear very dirty at all. I feel like it hides the dirt pretty good. If I get right up on it I can see that it needs to be washed but not everyone is gonna be doing that, so I'm happy.

13. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a 2010 in Winter Grey and agree it doesn't show much dirt. However, it does show white bird poop! I don't have a garage and there's a tree that overhangs the driveway, so bird doo has always been a major problem. However, I have reduced the problem somewhat by hanging a sort of windsock or kite that has big owl eyes in the tree. It sounds goofy but it actually works!

Oversplode likes this.
  14. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wife chose silver this time around. Previous ride was CX 5 Mazda in soul red ( tri coat paint ) so didn't want another red color and wanted something that is known to hide dirt and imperfections well, hence boring old common as muck silver was chosen.

LG-H901 ?

15. Oversplode

Oversplode Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whatever works! I might have to try that too.

16. Prius_noob18888

Prius_noob18888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is an Emotional Red. Not as sure its the same as the Hypersonic Red in the US
    1 standard model to choose that comes with Cruise control, leather seats, power Driver seat, JBL 8-speaker system, fog lights, rain sensor wipers, 15" alloy rims, HUD, Front & Rear Thinkware cams, Reverse parking sensor etc....all for US95K

17. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    With as many greys and whites on here I'm surprised red is winning... go red go :)

18. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Indeed. Go Granma red ;-)

LG-H901 ?

19. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Emotional Red ... I like the sound of that. Please post pictures.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same colour.