1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What component holds the electronic VIN?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, May 12, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Which components in a gen 2 2005 prius generates the VIN when scanned through an OBD2 port? ECU s? ECM?

Anyone know this info. Asking for a friend

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think ECU and ECM are terms for computers and vehicles and other things We have many ECUs and/or ECMs in the Prius. You want to know which one generates and stores the mileage for the display that you see for total mileage I have no idea which module that is but I will say this I don't think you can just take that module out and plug it into another car and everything changes over I don't think it works exactly like that I think that computer has to be able to talk to the other computers and to make that happen something has to be done with software firmware etc that regular people aren't going to accomplish easily. And removing these ECUs and ECMs at least from the body behind the dash Man what a pain And if it was just for changing the mileage I wouldn't even waste my time pretty much any generation two Prius that you see that doesn't have 200,000 mi on it You need to take a close look at what you're looking at the whole situation and that's just as bad as 350k. So when I see generation 2 Prius today in 2023 with 93,000 mi on them I generally expect I'm going to have a whole lot of things going on just because of the time It may be nice that the seats in the pedals aren't worn out but all that sitting certainly has not been good.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So your pieces of wrecked car car that you get electricity from doesn't have any VIN# visible anywhere? You must live an interesting life... Your posts are always memorable, or at least that's what my friend says... :)

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    RIGHT.
    Does that "friend" steal cars for a living ?? :eek:

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And I think your posts are OBNOXIOUS because they are hard to read and are an insult to ALL
    of the other users of the forum.

But you don't seem to care.
    Why is that ??

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What color is that kettle, anyway?

bisco likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I much prefer Tombukt2.

bisco likes this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    According to Google AI:
    [​IMG]
    The following Toyota Prius control modules have a stored VIN:

• Engine Control Module (ECM)
    • Transmission Control Module (TCM)
    • Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) Control Module
    • Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) Control Module
    • Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) Control Module
    • Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Control Module
    • Airbag Control Module
    • Body Control Module (BCM)
    • Instrument Cluster
    • Navigation System
    The VIN is stored in the EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) of each control module. The EEPROM is a type of memory that can be erased and reprogrammed. When you replace a control module, the VIN must be programmed into the new module. If the VIN is not programmed into the new module, the vehicle will not start.

The VIN is also used by the immobilizer system to prevent theft. The immobilizer system is a security feature that prevents the vehicle from starting if the correct key is not present. The ECM communicates with the immobilizer system to verify that the key is valid. If the VIN is not programmed into the new module, the immobilizer system will not allow the vehicle to start.

If you are replacing a control module in your Toyota Prius, it is important to have the VIN programmed into the new module. You can have the VIN programmed by a Toyota dealer or by a qualified automotive technician.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I'm guessing text stream can do it if you have the real version and all the features like the dealer like my machine could probably do it if I had the dealer login which I need to get on that I mean for the online portion of the login like when text stream turns on and tries to go online You need a dealer code I've got a buddy that works in the parts department I need to go talk to him about that and see what he says.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would GUESS that the hybrid control, immobilizer, and smart key (certification) ecu's have VIN.

ECM does not (you can plug and play an used Gen2 ECM and VIN on scantool never changes).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am guessing that Google AI cleverly made that long list of VIN-holding ECUs by glomming together a lot of things it 'read' that mentioned ECUs and VINs.

The repair manual probably indicates which ones really do, but it would take a lot of piecing together from different places.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  12. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok save you judgements for the federal govt but yes I have in effect combined two cars into one and now have mixed vin numbers and a court date to go with it. I have a title for one of my cars, I don’t have one for my “parts car” so I’m just trying to get the damn numbers to all match (which they dont also because I’ve been swapping parts on Priuses for a decade) to avoid getting tickets and my plates taken every time a certain cop sees my car about town… it’s a cluster f of my own doing but I’m trying to remedy it without having my car confiscated again. I thought these laws were in place to fight car thieves, chop shops, and vehicle identity fraud FOR the purposes of selling the car or depriving someone of their rightfully owned property. Not for some dumbass who wanted to fix his car on his own.

bisco likes this.
  13. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey it may take a team of scientists to decipher what his post are saying (punctuation?!) but the man has helped me out of a lot of jams. If you care so much then volunteer to give him grade school grammar lessons.

bisco likes this.
  14. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ha. I see what you did there. Yeah so I screwed myself into a bit of trouble with my two cars and by a stroke of bad luck (which I’m prone to) a local cop caught on and now I’ve got court dates and have had to unconfiscate my own car. It’s bullshit really, and more reason to hate the loooong arm of the federal govt ( and it’s right hand henchman, the DMV). I’m not a car thief, not running a chop shop, or seeking to sell my car or deprive anyone of their own car… in fact now that this car has a target on it I NOW have considered selling it but I don’t want to get in any more trouble or screw someone else over

15. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agreed. He , Chapman, britprius, and the lot of them have helped me out of some jams. I do have trouble chasing all those run on sentences but no one is forcing you to decode them in fact I might just start writing like he writes it looks like fun with not a care in the world for punctuation or whatever period that would be fun I think least it seems that way HA. It is.

bisco likes this.
  16. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Actually just switching the dash changes the mileage but that’s not my intended goal. I think you’re right tho, it’s gonna require dealer level techstream

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dad used to say, "Small things amuse small minds" which took me a while to truly understand the depth of that saying.

Grammar is the codification of an agreed standard so that everyone can put together words in a uniform manner once these rules have been learned. The more one knows and understands these rules, the more everyone else can understand the message in the least ambiguous way. The sole purpose (in my opinion) is clear and concise communication. If one writes with poor grammar, and through that, fails to communicate then what purpose does that serve?

If one chooses to abandon that codification, for whatever reason, they stand it to be not understood or even worse just ignored.

I would advise against writing poorly just for the fun of it.

Some people, of course, do not choose to write poorly, but for whatever reason they just do not know the rules.

I don't know what challenges (and I presume there are some) any one person might have in writing an incomprehensible message but rather than just grump about it, I for one would be happy to offer a select few help with proofreading and offering revisions, via PM, of course.

#17 dolj, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Paul Schenck likes this.
  18. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I feel like my dad just gave me a lecture. Okay, i concur. Order has its place in the world. I'm gonna go do my taxes now, 1 month late.

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It changes the displayed mileage The real mileage may be stored in other modules and that's how they catch people changing displays and trying to say their car has only 124,000 when it's got 240 so that mileage may be stored in a few places just for this reason. I don't know why they're so big on that We used to change pedometers in cars and on people last we just shrug our shoulders and it wasn't for the mileage it was because of speedometer went bad or the tachometer didn't work of the gas gauge didn't work and nobody was taking apart clusters then to replace individual pieces It just changed out the cluster oh well. I mean when I look at a car I look at the seat bottom where your butt goes and the pedal pads and the carpet that's a dead giveaway very quickly even if it's been cleaned and messed with there's your mileage very quickly flat seats are a dead giveaway where fat butts went and worn out pedal pads or where people ride the brake and things like that

20. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you haven't swapped fenders, a VIN label is on fender lip, probably on both fenders.

IMG_1523.JPG