1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What date do you think the 2009 will be available?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kenallwein, Nov 10, 2007.

1. kenallwein

kenallwein New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plans were to buy in January 2008 - but now I see that some pretty significant changes have been made to the 2009 (body, engine, better MPG).

When do the new models come out?

Would you wait?

Thanks,
    Kenny

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically they should be available in October nect year. However, if there are significant changes, they could be late.

3. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegas! @ Nov 10 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]537739[/snapback]</div>

I heard the 2009 was delayed till Spring 2009, which means it about 1.5 year. If you can wait that long, then you should. The 2009 will be much better (mpg & Li-on battery).

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/19...us-not-so-fast/

google it "2009 Prius delayed"

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone (including Toyota) knows for sure when the next generation Prius will be released, exactly what it will look like, or exactly what the mechanical changes will be. Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well, as soon as the '09s come out, the '08s will be a year old model, even if one is brand new. Problem is, thats always going to be the case with cars.

Think about the money and gas you'd save if you had a Prius right now, let alone the reduced emissions you would be NOT putting out.

When to buy is your call. If you have one, and a newer model comes out you like better, trade. Meanwhile you will be helping our environment, saving yourself some money, and helping the planet.
    :D

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    From what I hear, the "new" model that will be introduced will be smaller, to enhance the MPG capability. Then, after an appropriate time, a larger model will be introduced.

Remember, the hybrid Fit will come out next year, and Toyota will have to compete with that.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2009 ones will be available for order around summer with deliveries in Sept/Oct.

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 10 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]537787[/snapback]</div>
    I a having the same trouble with deciding what to do.....I WANT an 09 Prius but I also Want to do a lot of changes to my 07 such as solar panel roof and a PHEV conversion, But then my boyfriend wants a Smart Car...what to do what to do.!!

Also I thought Honda scrapped the Fit Hybrid? Or was that just the CRV Hybrid I read about? or weren't they gonna build a dedicated hybrid car to become direct competition with the Prius.

9. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends ... IF the 2009 is just a mild re-fresh, it may come out earlier than usual -- this coming spring rather than the fall. I personally feel the 2009 model will just be a slight refresh with the MAJOR change coming in the 2010 model (out in fall of 2009).

Toyota does the mild re-fresh with their Lexus line often when a certain model is getting a little long in the tooth, and may do so with the Prius for the 2009 model year. When they do so, they tend to bring out the new refresh anywhere from Feb-April of that year and then gear up for the revamped model 2 falls from then.

My prediction is that the 2009 model year won't be MUCH different with basically a few new touches like slightly different headlights and/or taillights, etc. Whether it will come out in Feb-April I wouldn't know ... it could just as easily come out next fall.

However, I think the MAJOR re-design will most likely be out around fall of 2009 as a 2010 model. This is all speculation on my part, but there have been a few viewings of a slightly refreshed model out there and that leads me to feel the way I feel.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Nov 11 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]538250[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. The redesign won't happen till the 2010 MY (so some time in 2009).

I don't know if Toyota will update the Prius again. I don't recal it ever doing two mild refreshes to any model (unlike what Subaru has done to the last gen Impreza and what Saab's doing to the current 9-5).

Oh and

The 2009 ones will be available for order around summer with deliveries in Sept/Oct.

11. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's pretty secretive what is going to happen with 09. One thing is proven, there is excellent resale value, so you can buy now, and if it takes 1.5 years for the new model to come out, you get 1.5 years of better economy, and not pay a whole ton for your upgrade then.

12. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 12 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]538283[/snapback]</div>
    When did they do the first mild re-fresh for the Prius? The 2004 was an entirely different car than the ones prior. Now that I think about it, when Lexus brings out its mild re-fresh in the spring it's generally b/c of sagging sales ... totally not a problem for the Prius. Maybe the refresh will wait until fall of '08 ... or just not at all.

I'm REALLY confident though that the ALL NEW Prius won't be out until October or so of 2009 as a 2010 model ... of course, again, I'm not basing this on a whole lot. If it were coming out an earlier you would hear a little bit more about it though and have it potentially showing at auto shows and the like.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Nov 12 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]538362[/snapback]</div>
    I think that after 04 they did little things like making the tailights completely clear (on the O4 the top part was blackened to match the hatch window part below the spoiler) and chroming the grille.

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that wouldnt be good

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Nov 12 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]538362[/snapback]</div>
    2006. They had the new headlights, the chrome brakelight background, chrome grille, HYBRID badge, updated ECU, new dashboard/door capping material, better speakers, higher res MFD, TPMS, advanced front airbags (i.e. occupant detection system), lowered the rear seat by 1" (supposedly) and new lower front spoiler.

The refresh usually comes in after the 3rd year (so for the 4th and 5th year). The Prius' refresh came after the 2nd year (i.e. on the 3rd year) so it was a year early.

If it does come out as a 2010 model, they're pushing it just like the 9th Gen Corolla (2003-2008 with the refresh for the 2005 MY.. so it went 4 years on that updated styling).

Now if the Prius continues to sell well in its current form, then Toyota might be willing to let it go for another year til the 2010 model. But it also depends on how the other competitors are playing their cards.

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it does have a lot to do with the competition and Prius sales. Think about it. Most people still think the Prius needs to be plugged in. It is very strange technology to many many people. If they did a redesign now, it would just confuse more people. Plus, there is not much direct competition to to the Prius, so why force a redesign now? There is no one to catching up to the Prius design anytime soon.

The Prius is still a new car design to many people. Toyota has another good two years of sales out of the current Prius design.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 12 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]538621[/snapback]</div>
    Good points. However the competition would be the CR-Z. The reason is that it'll beat the Prius in mpg (even though it'll be smaller) and that'll get people's attention. Plus it'll be a lot cheaper and probably more fun to drive given that it's a Honda.

18. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(partipilo @ Nov 12 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]538295[/snapback]</div>

This is a bad suggestion... .

Priuses used to hold their value pretty well.

You can expect it to be like this:
    1-65
    2-60
    3-55
    4-50

Maybe 5% more.

--

19. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 10 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]537787[/snapback]</div>
    There will be no hybrid Fit. Honda will have a dedicated new model hybrid smaller then the current Prius. Honda has said it will be a 2009 model year car. It will be similar size to the Fit but I am sure more expensive.

Toyota will have the new Prius in late 2008 as a 2009 model in my opinion. Toyota is going to keep its edge and Honda's car might take it if Toyota does not respond. Nothing is currently close to the Prius now and Toyota wants to keep it that way.

20. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hampdenwireless @ Nov 12 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]538698[/snapback]</div>
    Though they are licensing their technology out to GM from what I've read?