1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What design change would you make for 100 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by John in LB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    oops... double post [DELETED!]

2. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 26 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]412513[/snapback]</div>
    You mean like lightning bolts!? That would solve the quick charging problem! (I know there's not much current in lightning.)

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

What about a nuclear powered car. Maybe it would only come in one color only.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 26 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]412215[/snapback]</div>
    We have different goals and objectives. Now if you wanted to put together a hybrid kit car, we'd have something to discuss. But to enter a contest?

I don't do contests. I'll enter projects I'm already working on in a contest but not if it interferes with real life. The reason is a contest will have a set of specifications that may not reflect what real customers need or want. Once the contest is over, the requirements are gone and efforts that should have been in service to real customers has been frittered away. No, I prefer to work for real customers and enter a contest only if it doesn't interfere.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

5. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob, I'm reviving this because your answer was SO thourough..wow. Do you have a list of the mods you've done / would do for better mpg? Thank you!

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes it is really interesting to read through old threads:)
    I must admit, I read a few before realizing the thread was 15 years old!

@bwilson4web Bob is incredibly thorough. I get a ton from his posts.
    He made two ‘mods’ I am familiar with…
    He bought a BMW i3, and then a Model 3 ;)

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And a 2017 Prius Prime that was traded in on the 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus so my out of pocket cost was $24,000. I kept the older 2014 BMW i3-REx which is my new wife's car ... and she loves it!

My earlier list was for a Gen 1, 2003 Prius, the compact sedan. Some tricks remain universal but the base technology has moved forward so fast my recommendation is to catch today's technology and build on that base. Yes, the Prius Gen 1, 2, and 3 can be improved but after all the modifications, it becomes nearly as expensive as the cost of getting an 'end of lease', current technology car. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Zythryn likes this.
  8. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Bob,

Nice to meetcha. I just saw you're from Huntsville - I am driving my Prius down an hour outside of mobile for work in November. So right now I am trying to make some mods before I move.

That's really good advice. I hadn't thought from that view before. Now if only prices would come down..

9. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were to design a 100mpg Prius I'd take note of the Aero Civic. Mainly make the body more aerodynamic. This is the same with Aptera. A wingless airplane.

Better regen efficiency would be better too. Maybe a hydraulic hybrid instead of an electric.