1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Did President Bush Gain...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 12 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]318277[/snapback]</div>
    We tend to get pretty lofty and highminded "like in Vietnam" and think if we flex our muscles, everyone will go running and not come back.

One thing we miscalculated is that the Islamic/MiddleEastern world that supported Saddam realizes that if they don't take this opportunity to give the US a black eye, that their days are numbered.

In the same fashion that if we were seriously attacked, our allies "hopefully" would come to our aid and the persons who attacked us would not have attacked only us, but would have us and our allies to tango with.

When we attacked Iraq, we did win quite quickly, However, now we are fighting every other neighboring countries that were allies to Saddam, except we are fighting them "in" Iraq.

We have started a war with the whole Islamic Middle East!, Just like if someone attacked us, they would be starting a war with the whole free world.

Again, we misjudged the seriousness of our enemy. These guys don't see this war as a way to save face, but its the meaning of thier existence... just like Bush stated this war is a battle for our existence when he stated that its a struggle "for" civilization.

Many who are asleep "for the last 20 years", in the comfort and shelter of the US, saw the whole Islamic mentality as no threat as long as they kept thier dirtly little ways on thier side of the world... but its thier plan to take over the world and kill all those who are not believers as they believe. Just read thier bible which is thier guide to life.

They are no interested in "co-existence", or they would leave little insignificant Isreal alone who occupied only a fraction of the area and is no threat to take over the region, in fact they are giving up even more of thier land, yet they all want them dead and wiped out.

Very similiar mentality that predominated in Hitlers day... almost like the same spirit is taking a second attempt to wipe out all Jews.... except its far more reaching this time... thats just the start.

The fact of the matter is, we never want to spend money to fix our roads and do anything proactive, but rather wait till its a crisis before we deem it worth to fork over the bucks.

Their are many who begrudge the expense of money and lives we are spending on this war, and would much rather wait till we have no choice.

To each his own, I myself want my enemies to know their is a high price to pay if they assault me, that knowledge will often thwart off attacks, others are intimidated and just hope the problem will go away on its own.

I'm sure Bin Laden also miscalculated when he attacked us and didn't think he would be living in a cave today.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]318367[/snapback]</div>
    I skimmed through this article when this caught my eye...

Bush said from THE START, it was going to be a long and difficult road... A brief search of Bush speeches revealed this from early November 2003...

I know there are more references to hardship and difficulty going back to even to 2001...

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nov. 2003's a bit late for this realization don't you think... I'm happy to read any references you have prior to the take-over of Bagdad that suggest he knew the scope of the difficulty we'd have.

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]318550[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and I'd be happy to read references which support your point of a slam-bam, thank you ma'am....!

Edit: from Bush or the Administration itself, not wacko-commie-pinko sites!!! lol

March, 2003

Doesn't really sound like a man who thinks it will be as quick and easy as you accuse...

October, 2001

"patient accumulation of successes"....

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Sep 12 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]318554[/snapback]</div>
    Or, if he thought it would be difficult, he could have followed the reccomendation of the joint chief of staff and use 500k. Instead of armwrestle the artifical number of 50k that Rumsfeld wanted. I don't know if he had a justification, real or otherwise, but the administration was as incompetent in Iraq as everything else.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    post deleted for inappropriate content

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 11 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]317958[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Sep 12 2006, 07:03 AM) [snapback]318261[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, in 20/20 hindsight, there was 'failed' intelligence on Iraq regarding WMD.

1) For years Saddam had played a cat and mouse game with the UN weapons inspectors. He did not fully disclose his programs, gave misleading, partial or false information, and did not give the inspectors the mandated - free and unfettered - access to locations of their choosing at the time of their choosing.
    - So, it's no surprise to me the the UN inspectors couldn't find any WMD.
    - I could put my hands over my eyes and say, “I don't see a computer monitor in front of me.â€
    Is it true?
    Sure! . . . I don't SEE a computer monitor.
    Is it there? YOU haven't seen it.
    PROVE IT'S THERE!!!
    I've used a computer in the past. But maybe I'm really not using a monitor now. Maybe I really us a thermal dye printer instead.
    What do you think is the reality???

2) Since Saddam's military was in tatters after the first Gulf War, he was afraid of an invasion by his mortal enemy, Iran. He wanted Iran to believe Iraq still had WMD.
    - Shame on the US intelligence community for believing him. After all, he was playing games with the UN inspectors, and wanted Iran to believe the WMDs still existed . . . so why shouldn't we? We thought he was going to use them on us during the first Gulf War . . . otherwise, I wouldn't have hopped in and out of that dammed WMD MOPP Suit like a scared rabbit. (HEY! <_< I was in Naval Aviation, and not into ground pounding. :lol: )
    - If Iran attacked a weakened Iraq after the first Gulf War, we too would have been in a world of hurt! :eek: What would we have done? Come to Saddam's rescue? :huh: :blink: Allow Iran to conquer Iraq? :angry: All options would have been a no win scenario.

3) Saddam DID use WMD on the Iranians and Kurds.
    - Did he use them all up?
    - Did he bury them in the desert?
    - Did he give them to terrorists?
    Where are the weapons? Where are the conspiracy theorists for this one???? :rolleyes:

As efusco alluded to . . . Tell yourselves enough times that we went to war in Iraq for Halliburton's bottom line, and you just may begin to believe yourselves. Some of you definitely need less repetition than others. :p

8. tag

tag Senior Member

Could we tone it down just a tad, boys? Please, by all means, feel free to carry on the discussion but without the ad hominems and name calling. Thanks! ;)

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Sep 12 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]318520[/snapback]</div>
    Very well said!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Sep 12 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]318576[/snapback]</div>

Wow.. Jayman... thats unusual for you!.. that must have been juicy!

I don't notice too many things deleted anymore.....

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 12 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]318584[/snapback]</div>
    Whose failed intelligence? There were two different sides to it, the CIA who already knew better and said so for quite a long time until the forced 2002 NIE, and the amateurs in the Pentagon's new "intelligence" staffed by Rumsfield's group.

This Pentagon group justified every little weak circumstantial evidence they came upon that matched targeted goals as fact and fed it up the tree. And of course, the CIA and Tenet took the fall for it because they ended up rubberstamping the bad intelligence, even when the CIA knew better.

Now, it seems those who avoided taking the fall for massaging the evidence are still in there. Can we trust these new intelligence agencies?

12. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 11 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]317958[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are giving Bush too much credit by assuming that he actually thought!
    Why in the hell would someone want to be president twice? With a country at war?

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]318468[/snapback]</div>
    Dave, I don't understand your apparent hatred of all things Canadian. I also don't understand why this sort of post is perfectly acceptable.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll call the waaabulance fpr the extreme lefties..... Is there anything they don't B*tch, whine, rant or cry about??

There are several Lefties that add to good conversation others take offence to every word spoken. Then the Name calling starts.. Just read whats posted if it P*sses you off, take a moment deep breath then type. :)

15. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 13 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]318840[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Sep 12 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]318729[/snapback]</div>
    Damn! I would have LOVED to see that one!!!!!

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh PriusGuy, you almost had me there for a minute. I was all set to agree with your agreement of Windstrings' post, which is an enlightening post. But then you went and started up with the "Lefties" and "always whining" rhetoric. I was so close to finding common ground.

Windstrings, I think your post has several layers to it and you have articulated it well. I am often trying to beat it into other people's minds that other people have allies just like we have allies. Other people will fight to their death to defend themselves just like we will fight to our death to defend ourselves. Other people have national and religious beliefs just like we have national and religious beliefs. For some reason, many Americans hold on to the thought that, as you said, "all we have to do is flex our muscles." I hope fewer people still belive that.

17. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narussian @ Sep 12 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]318780[/snapback]</div>
    Because switching presidents in the middle of one can really mess things up. It is like constantly changing the boss of a company. Sometimes it can be good but most times the company flouders around constantly changing strategies. I think only two conflicts did we not have the same president. WWII due to death and Vietnam because it was so long (Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford). I should have paid more attention in History class. :p

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Sep 12 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]318743[/snapback]</div>
    i have another post on intelligence in FHOP's - so to the point - what did Bush have to gain by going to war?

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narussian @ Sep 12 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]318780[/snapback]</div>

Some people like to finish what they start so thier efforts were not in vain.At least he didn't want to run and let someone mop up the mess.

Who knows.. he may actually "care" about his country more than himself?

Wouldn't that be rare for a politian?

20. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 13 2006, 09:34 AM) [snapback]318877[/snapback]</div>
    Others have answered with their opinions, and some of them have been quite detailed (thanks, Evan).

I'd like to hear your opinion. Your replies indicate you don't think Bush & Co. had nothing to gain from the invasion. I'd like to know why you think he had nothing to gain.

I have my beliefs, but I'm willing to entertain other points of view. Especially if they're presented in a well-reasoned manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.