1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did we learn from the Chief Engineer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 13, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately it was difficult to pin the Chief down on this, he said that it has something to do with setting the timing and piston position, but this doesn't seem quite right and I thing the language and atmosphere made a clear understanding very difficult. Someone was taping when I asked about this, so hopefully we can get it posted.

I asked twice about why we couldn't have a higher 'stealth' speed, and he just repeated that the battery didn't have enought energy for high speed EV...I tried my best to be clear that I meant coasting/gliding at higher speeds, but it just didn't translate well.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did a 640 X 480 resolution video with my phone and I believe your question is on it, but not sure how the sound is yet either... I can't post it on photobucket because they will not accept anything over 100mb and mine is 386mb and 40 min long. Not sure if I can split it or not. That video is posted on the Jay's ftp site with a player to play it if needed as it is still in the .3g2 format.

3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations are due Toyota for their insight to invite PC leaders to view and react. The reviews have been great.
    Thanks guys!

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OP quote: "7. The max rpm went from 10000 to 13500, but was unclear what max EV mode speed was or if top end speed was raised to higher than 115???"

I'm not ready to give up hope on higher EV glide. No good reason to permit 13500 if not for ICE shut down at higher speed than before. I think the test mule xcel drove had the higher speed glide from this change. Anyone worked out the PSD math on what 13500 would mean?

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, you will be able to customize it... and you should be able to customize other things as well :)

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure you can compare to the current model at all. It sounds like the PSD is significantly altered, so all bets are off. I would assume the relationship between wheel speed and MG2 rpms (with ICE 0 rpm) is related to the relative size of the gears in between. Since those gears may have changed, its impossible to know what the new relationship is. That doesn't rule out the possibility of higher speed EV, but says we don't know.

Rob

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are exactly right. With the language issues, I just don't know.

Found the Gen II formulae: MG1 = 3.6 x ICE - 2.6 x MG2
    MG2 = 59.1 x mph
    Gen II limits: mg1 +-6500, mg2 6000, ice 4500
    Haven't seen any Gen III constants and john1701a mentioned mg2 was 2-speed now or something like that.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind MG2 is now reduction geared, and I don't believe we obtained that gear ratio, other than 13,500 was the maximum speed (rotor or shaft?). I did not overhear the max speed of MG1, but imagine it would have changed as well to accommodate the ICE's slightly increased 5200 rpm redline - presuming they wanted that usable/available at a legal speed.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is a good thing :)
    I like that one too.
    Not so sure that is a good thing AT ALL. Not that having the middle person straddle the 'hump' on the current model is exactly ideal, but it looks like they now also have to contend with their legs hitting the front console. Other than a kid in a booster seat, or a very short adult, it appears to pretty much turn the car into a 4 passenger.
    ie. "Not recommended"
    Good plan, as I can not currently ride in the back without heading my head on the glass. Of course, I'm the dad, I don't HAVE to ride in the back :) It doesn't hurt that the taller of my daughters probably won't make 5'6" so no problem there. I (very un-fondly) remember cramming into the back of my step-father's 1970's era Datsun (for you youngin's, that was before they became Nissan).
    I guess that is OK but i never found it a problem to pull them out when I wanted to fold the front seat back flat. It still does that, RIGHT ??????
    I always wondered why this wasn't done on the Gen II given the desire to reduce Cd. Seemed an oversight.

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, dear. What is the chief engineer's name? Please? I'm labeling photos...

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Akihiko Otsuka

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Akihiko Otsuka

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Gesundheit!

14. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Correct and correct. I asked about the reduction gear but I understood the answer no further than the Chief Engineer's promise that it provided higher efficiency. That was good enough for me.

How about that Chief? I could not believe his patience with fools like myself. He also was willing to answer any question at all and could not have been more gracious.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All of my photos and my three videos are posted now.
    Please, feel free to comment and tell me when I mess up people's names, okay? :)
    Thank you!

16. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i agree, what a nice guy. he had to be tired also, from the mornings unveiling and his trip over from Japan to dealing with all of us.......

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My recollection from when the 2-speed came out on the Camry is that one of the benefits is a big improvement in regen efficiency. The higher the rpm of the generator, the higher its output voltage, and the more current the inverter can put back into the battery. As you slow down, voltage naturally drops of quickly. With a higher gear ratio available, voltage stays higher longer, and more energy can be recovered during braking. Am I remembering correctly that this was one of the advertised benefits of the 2-speed?

Rob

18. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Similarly, you want a low gear ratio from MG2 to the wheels to put as much torque on the ground as possible at low speed, but as rpms go up, the motor's naturally generated voltage (back EMF) fights against the inverter reducing the effectiveness of the electric drive. In the 2G PSD you have to compromise between these two with a single gear ratio, although they did also add the boost converter to up the output voltage and increase the effective rpm range over the 1G. The 2-speed should allow you to put more torque to the wheels at low speeds, and reduce rpms at high speed so you get more power there too. Sounds pretty good!

Rob

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't get "2 speed" from the presentation, just that we saw a planetary reduction gear on MG2. Anyone else specifically see/hear otherwise or is it speculation?

20. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never studied the Camry/HH/Lexus system, but here's the kind of thing I remember (from john1701a's blog)

"11-30-2007 Multi-Stage Hybrid. Camry-Hybrid differs from Prius by having a second PSD. The purpose is to enable delivery of a second speed, much like gearing"

I thought I had heard several indications that the new Prius system was essentially the same, so I guess I assumed that meant effectively two-speeds. Not sure if that was a correct assumption or not.

Rob