1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did you do to ur Gen III Prius today????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sfv41901, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on the wood kit. Looks nice!

2. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Installed my pedal covers today. Hopefully do the LED mirrors and shark fin next week.

[​IMG]

3. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tanabe Sustec front sway bar installed.

Suspension all done! :)

mnml likes this.
  4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at ur sig, it seems u have the Tanabe front STB & u also have a set of hood dampers.

I have the same setup but had to remove the hood dampers cause they were hitting the STB when I closed the hood. Did u have the same problem?

5. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same problem with the hood dampers hitting the Tanabe STB mounts also. But both items where way too cool to remove...
    So I put a couple of strips of masking tape on the area of the STB mounting bracket where I thought it was hitting and slowly closed the hood. Then just looked for the interfering spot on the tape and took a file to it. Not much had to be removed and then a little black paint for looks.

6. Steve Robinson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Pedals look good. I assume from MIT Accessories? I wanted them but spent too much on the folding mirrors! The shark fin will look nice. I really like mine. Attached is a crappy picture but you will get the concept (it poured all day). They should have sent a small tube of prep fluid for the 3M tape. Be sure to use that on the roof. The roof at that point has a good curve and the bottom of the fin is flat. Mine finally took but I should have used masking tape or something to keep a little pressure on it for a few hours or overnight even. There will be a small gap caused by the tape. More than 2 feet away no one will notice, but I do. I am considering filling that with silicone but it won't be warm enough or dry enough here for another 6 months!

Attached Files:

mnml likes this.
  7. mnml

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, got all the goodies from MIT accessories. Thanks for the tip on the shark fin install. I'll be sure to use adhesion promoter that provided. I'm kinda nervous with the install since I'm going to do it after I get my roof vinyl wrapped. I hope it will not pull the vinyl off the car when it's installed. I was going to talk to shop who's doing the install to see what they advise.

8. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    here's my sharkfin before and after the carbon fiber vinyl wrap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Added some more 3M 1080 carbon fiber to the interior today...
    -center armrest
    -top of door panels

20121202_194951.jpg

20121202_190607.jpg

Attached Files:

Steve Robinson likes this.
  10. Steve Robinson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's awesome! Never thought of the vinyl on the armrest. Many have been complaining about the fabric and looking for a solution. A few questions if I might:
    - Did you remove the padded portion to tuck the vinyl under?
    - Any signs that the vinyl will leave residue on the fabric? Putting vinyl on metal is one thing...
    - Is the vinyl flexible enough to withstand daily elbow contact (certainly it is thicker than the fabric!)
    - If I recall (and I am too lazy to go out to the car and confirm) the fabric under the handle is sort of bunched up and stapled into the plastic. How are you holding the vinyl on under the curve?

Thanks!

11. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice brace. Love it. How much did it cost? Just plug and play or need extra holes and threading?

12. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I waxed it to-day. Haha..

13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was it the brackets for the STB that needed to be filed?

14. mnml

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the pictures. Did you remove the shark fin before installing the vinyl or did you wrap around it? Curious to know if the fin is sticking to the roof paint or vinyl wrap.

15. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was actually really surprised with how well the 3M 1080 adheres to the fabric. While i was working on the doors i noticed how well it stuck to the fabric there... so i decided to try the center armrest too. I'm VERY happy with how it came out.

See my responses below, i hope this helps.

- Did you remove the padded portion to tuck the vinyl under? Nope. I tucked it under with the handy-dandy lil chizzler tool. (Advanced Vinyl Decal Application Kit ~ Shop Online or Call 888-488-4695 NOW!) the PINK tool in this picture. It is a must have for vinyl work.... along with a felt edge squeegee.
    - Any signs that the vinyl will leave residue on the fabric? Putting vinyl on metal is one thing... i don't think the vinyl will leave any residue long term (nor does it on the exterior). Its heat/pressure activated so it's not like a sticker or something.
    - Is the vinyl flexible enough to withstand daily elbow contact (certainly it is thicker than the fabric!) give me some time with it and I’ll know more but it really does seem like it's going to last. If the fabric on the armrest was thicker there might be a problem but the thin armrest actually helps the vinyl here. The vinyl stretches too don’t forget.
    - If I recall (and I am too lazy to go out to the car and confirm) the fabric under the handle is sort of bunched up and stapled into the plastic. How are you holding the vinyl on under the curve? Held on with heat (i.e. heat gun) and pressure only. The lil chizzler tool helps to work the vinyl into the crevice between where the fabric ends and the plastic begins. With heat, the vinyl stretches so you can make it flawless around any curve.

Steve Robinson likes this.
  16. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yes, i removed it before i wrapped around it, the fin is sticking on the vinyl wrap

mnml likes this.
  17. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, where the red strut bar bolts up to the mount. Just below the bolt. I said I used a file, but my air grinder would have been quicker. It was either that or loosen everything thing and try to move the STB mounts inward for more clearance.

18. Steve Robinson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks PoD! I think I will give this a try. I have some black and some silver 1080 left over from some other projects. It will remind me of my old 1965 vinyl-seated Pontiac!

ProphetsOfDoom likes this.
  19. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Sean,
    Sorry for the delyed response.

I essentially did what Burna J did, I filed part of the STB down.

20. Questhate

Questhate Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks awesome. Just curious -- what kind of shifter is that?