1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did you do to ur Gen III Prius today????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sfv41901, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    its would be the same idea as the dash cam right ? have you installed your dash cam yet ??

these are same ones right ?

Clazzio Seat Heater Kit - Bean Garage

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's them. Yeah it's the same idea.

I haven't even ordered a cam yet :(

3. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. HAWAIIANBUILT

HAWAIIANBUILT Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HEY PRIUS CHAT FOLKS !!!

:):):):)

Helped our Fellow Prius Chat Member and an Old Time Friend of mine : FishCandy aka Bobby today and installed his O-NEX 6000k HIDs for his Headlamps !!!

Here are pictures during his installation that afternoon 01-16-13 !!!

The O-NEX HIDS 6000K H11 Slim Ballasts Version

Purchased from O-Nex (www.O-NEX.com)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installation

Removal of the Upper Front Cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal of the Front Bumper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal of the Fender Well Bolts and Pins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal of the Front Bumper
    (Not Pictured : There are a combination of 8 Bolts and Pry Type Pins underneath the bumper that must also be removed)

[​IMG]

Location of the Slim Ballast Mounting Surface on the Side Location of the Bumper Brace

[​IMG]

Clean Surface with Rubbing Alcohol
    3M Molding Tape For the Backside of the Slim Ballasts

[​IMG]
    3M Molding Tape Added to the Backside of the Slim Ballasts
    [​IMG]

Mounting Location & Attachment

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal of Headlamp Housing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal of OEM Bulb

[​IMG]

Comparison of O-Nex HID and OEM Halogen Bulb
    (Never Touch the Bulbs as Oils can damage the casing when heated, always maintain a clean bulb)

[​IMG]

Per Installation Instructions, Connect Stock Plug and Slim Ballast Connections

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When Completed, Reinstall everything and Voila !!!

Safe Visibility for Night Time Driving !!!

BEFORE ...

[​IMG]

AND AFTER !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see your new mods coming soon FishCandy aka Bobby !!!

:):):):)

Rodney

FishCandy and ProphetsOfDoom like this.
  6. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Nice! Thanks for the pics. I still need to do this too.

You're not worried about burning-out the stock wires with the HIDs? I thought I read somewhere that running power straight to the battery was better? I need to read more into it...

F8L likes this.
  7. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've installed maybe 100 hid kits in various cars.. Not once did it ever burn the oem wires!! I don't know where that Internet mumbo jumbo came from..

Anyways, Rodney nice install! I actually install the ballasts in a more accessible place.. On either side of the engine bay, by the fenders there are little plastic covers .. There is space over there.. Is the a good reason why you didn't put the ballasts there?

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pics and write up, Rodney. :)

FWIW, I didn't use a new harness on my HID and my OE wires are fine. I do notice that sometimes a bulb doesn't stay on though that may have more to do with my crappy DDM ballast than lack of a harness.

9. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Rodney for all your help and answering all the questions I have! See you Friday!

10. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just installed the Wet Okole Seat Covers. These pictures don't do the black color or the covers justice. The flash from the camera washes out the color. Their are a few shots without the flash and they look very black. I got the black with dark gray piping, with red TRD logos on the front seats. You can pick any more logos on their website or at their shop. Included was the air bag cuts and center consule cover. Feels great, and looks awesome. So many people want them now when then actually sit in the car. Adds more cushion to the seats and you can definately tell and feel! If you go to the meet on 1/27 you you will appreciate the seats more...

Before rear.JPG Before.JPG P1000321.JPG P1000323.JPG P1000324.JPG P1000325.JPG P1000326.JPG P1000327.JPG P1000328.JPG P1000329.JPG P1000332.JPG P1000333.JPG P1000334.JPG P1000336.JPG P1000337.JPG P1000338.JPG P1000340.JPG P1000341.JPG P1000342.JPG P1000343.JPG P1000344.JPG P1000345.JPG P1000346.JPG P1000347.JPG P1000348.JPG P1000349.JPG P1000350.JPG P1000353.JPG P1000354.JPG P1000355.JPG P1000356.JPG P1000357.JPG

ProphetsOfDoom, F8L and ucsmfu like this.
  11. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Nice seats!

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The above photos are not really an accurate representation of the bulb colors because of the camera using it's "auto white balance" feature.

If you look at the "Before" photo, notice the small wedge bulb above the OEM halogen H-11 bulb. I'm guessing that small wedge bulb is not the OEM incandescent- but it's been replaced by a LED wedge bulb. If you look at it's color it's slightly blue when compared to the OEM incandescent halogen headlight. The white balance in the "Before" photo is probably pretty accurate as the halogen H-11 bulb is really close to "white" and the LED above it is clearly shown as blue.
    Now look at the "After" photo and you'll notice the same small wedge LED bulb is now displayed as white not blue as in the "Before" photo. That's because the camera being used is set to "auto white balance" and has adjusted the color temperature of the photo based on the brightest light source- which is the O-Nex 6k HID bulb.
    You'll also notice a dramatic difference in the color of the small strip of plastic grill directly to the right of the headlight assembly in the two photos- with the "After" photo displaying a much colder color temperature casting as compared to the "Before" photo.

To make an accurate representation on the bulb colors- you need to set the camera's "auto white balance" to off, choose incandescent- then take "Before" and "After" photos.

I installed the same O-Nex kit two weeks ago- only I used their 4.3K bulbs not the 6k bulbs you used.
    Overall I was happy with the slim digital ballasts, the wiring and connectors were good, and the return wire on the bulb was in the correct (6 o'clock) position to eliminate ground shadow.
    I was not happy however with the brightness and color of the O-Nex 4.3K bulb. They were not very bright, and overall were not 4.3k bright white- they had too much blue in them to be 4.3k. I have since swapped them out with the 4.3k Morimoto bulbs from The Retrofit Source. The Morimoto bulbs are quite a bit brighter than the O-Nex bulbs , and more important to me- much closer to 4.3k bright white with hardly any blue tinge. Unfortunately, the Morimoto bulbs have the ground/return wire in the wrong position (12 o'clock) for the Prius projector system and need to be modded to get the ground wire in the correct position. But they're a much better choice for people who like white rather than blue HID's.

F8L likes this.
  13. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey ProphetsOfDoom !!!

I've not had any trouble with the O-Nex Kits, I believe these are the 35W Bulbs, so these don't heat up any wiring to be an issue :)

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

ProphetsOfDoom likes this.
  14. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey there Bzyrice !!!

Thanks for the kind words !!!

I do like hiding the ballasts lower into the compartment so that they aren't visible with all the wiring that connects with them. Also there's less questioning of wiring should the car need to be serviced from a mechanic or dealer.

That's the great thing about Slim Ballasts, they can be installed wherever you like !!!

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

15. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds great Bobby !!!

More Mods for ya Coming Soon !!!

Rodney

16. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the information Ny_Rob !!!

I will keep this in mind !!!

Rodney

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter what car pics you post, I am always drawn to the silver arowana in your avatar. :)

FishCandy likes this.
  18. Marcus Assis

Marcus Assis 2010 Prius, 18" Momo V10

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    HELP !!!!

After I put the 18" wheels and tires some 18 extra pounds per wheel I'm only getting 39 MPG, I'm freaking out!!!

Does lowering help?

Air intake?

Exhaust?

Chip?

I want my 48-50 Mpg back !!!! lol

Huge Thx!

-m-

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell your wheels and pray for warm weather. You'll never get your mpg back. :)

sfv41901 likes this.
  20. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Come and see my tank one day! Fish is my other hobby!