1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did you do to your PRIUS today?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by DBLXX, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Debating buying a Quick Jack 700TL for $1,900 or four of the cool Rennstands for $1,000....hard decision!

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Being a person who doesn’t waste resources is NOT the same as being cheap (at least in my book, but then what do I know;). ).

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I did some simple things like wash the interior windows, dusted the interior, and even did it while in ready mode (since my recent trips have been very short and kind of felt the 12 volt battery was feeling neglected, so I wanted it to smile). End result was clear windows and 12.7 volt battery. :).

4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh yeah, forgot to add, took the long way around for a usually short errand so the traction battery didn’t feel left out! I swear I just heard the car purring in the the garage! :))

5. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be picking up a new engine air filter today. Yesterday, on the drive home from work, sheriffs had a road block so had to take about a three mile detour over a dry, dusty dirt road behind an 18-wheeler so she sucked up all kinds of dust. Not sure what the road block was about.

6. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up ordering the Quick Jack 7000TL and got her installed last night....LOVE her but those trays are super heavy so won't be lifting them up to store on the wall...tested driving over them with the Prius and they are low enough to allow that...phew!
    They came just in time...my wife's 2017 Prius is five years old this fall so she needs transmission fluid changed as well as a drain and fill on the engine and inverter coolants which will make those jobs much easier. I also, have mud flaps to install on my Prius and my daughter's Mazda.

7. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, you folks who do your own maintenance/repair on vehicles really need to get a Quick Jack if you can afford one. Mine's operational and, man, holds the car solid when it's lifted...even on the highest setting! I bought the extra rubber blocks with pre-cut spots for pinch wells but, to be honest, I didn't really have to, the rubber blocks you set under the pinch wells would be fine.
    Anyway, I've been worried about my new spin filter conversion job on my wife's 2017 leaking so have been checking the oil level a lot and looking under the car for any signs of oil leaking. This morning, when I had it lifted on the Quick Jack, grabbed the 10mm socket drive and inspected it....dry as a bone, no signs of ANY oil leaks so that's a relief. I highly recommend converting your cannister style oil filter to the spin on if it's an option for your car. (Not all Toyota's have the option for most do...I know the Prius and Corolla and Camry do and many Lexus but the Tundra Gen 3 do not. :-(

8. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rarely drive my wife's 2017 Prius LE but got a chance to take it on a longer drive yesterday (dropped off a friend at the airport).

Anyway, I was watching how her ICE and traction system operated and noticed the ICE runs almost all the time...which would explain why she gets about 10 mpg less then my car. (I'm getting 58 mpg in my 2021 and the 2017 is only around 47 or so.)

So I suspect she has an issue with brake pad(s) rubbing or maybe even a wheel bearing going out so I'll get her up on my Quick Jacks and give her a check.

My wife has been known to clip curbs with the rear tires so might also bring her to get the wheels aligned if the brakes and wheel bearings look nominal.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  9. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I finally clipped a rear wheel (tire?) on a curb around an intersection corner. It felt like a really soft hit, and didn't seem to alter anything as I've driven the car about 800 miles since then - but it bothers me that I did that.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I finally fixed the error made by Toyota marketing (my strong opinion) in my 2020 AWDe Prius LE. I replaced the stereo with one that has a CD and supports Android Auto. It cost me $1000 ($500 for the Kenwood and interfaces requires plus $500 to have it installed). If anyone needs to replace their OE stereo, I have one that works and has no cosmetic issues (part number 86140-47660).

JeffD

Mambo Dave likes this.