1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do guys think about the accord hybrid?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by cukodukoo, Aug 21, 2014.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Accord Hybrid:
    Very limited supply and small discounts
    Only 1 year reliability history
    No spare tire
    No trunk pass through
    Trunk smaller than HyCam but larger than Fusion Hybrid
    Very nice place to be inside

2. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After a 9 year relationship with Prius I just traded for the 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring. It lists for $35,875 but I found a dealer who discounted it to $31,066. To purchase a new Prius with all of the options on the Accord Hybrid I would have paid much more. I have waited for Toyota to update the Prius body style and technology. I feel that they have lagged behind many others after being the frontrunner for many years. As for reliability, my 2010 Prius started having some issues at around 125,000 miles.

cycledrum likes this.
  3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Forget reliability, forget engineering, forget truthful fuel economy;
    it's all about emotion nowadays.
    Can't you feel the excitement?
    ;)

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As demonstrated by your reply. I'm sure the 195 HP Accord Hybrid is a much nicer car to drive than a 134 HP Prius.

to withersea,
    Please give us a comparo after the car honeymoon is over.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a great price! does this put the kibosh to the notion that honda doesn't discount? hmm, tennesee, hybrids $1.75 gas, perfect storm?

withersea likes this.
  6. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Honda with imploding engines needing disassembly to replace the camshaft belt at 60,000 miles that then suddenly break anyway !!!! NO THANK YOU ,,, i had two already,,, pieces of junk

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You discrediting Honda is only an isolated case. I've talked with many professional mechanics who recommend Honda just as much as Toyota.

8. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i got burned TWICE by Honda. that is NOT isolated

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a business associate that gave me a ride in his for a trip. A very comfortable car, very nice interior. He drives a fair amount, and his mileage has been 47 overall. We achieved 49 on a 2oo mile round trip that took us on interstate 80%. Much easier car to drive, didn't have to baby it or worry about the bars. In a head to head with the Toyota Camry hybrid, it's not even a close contest. Not just the mileage, but the entire car is better. It seems to be a decade ahead of the TCH in terms of fit and finish, interior room, all of it.

I would get the Accord hybrid over either the Camry or Avalon. In terms of the Prius? Just driving the Accord made me want to forget mine. Although, my v has the big plus of cargo room.

withersea likes this.
  10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My wife picked the 2015 HyCam XLE over the Accord Hybrid. Still waiting for our special order, so this is based solely on short test drives.

As has been the case for the last 40 years, the Accord had crisper handling than Camry, at the cost of a less compliant ride. As some car pro reviews have noted, the ride was actually kind of jittery. Not uncomfortable, but you were constantly aware of every pebble in the road. Fit and finish were good. Front seat cabin areas felt a bit constrained. Electronics (Nav, stereo, etc.) were OK, but nothing to get excited about, other than the blind spot showing up on the Nav screen if you signaled a turn. Seats were firm, but comfortable. Wife liked the exterior, but I found it boring. What really killed the Accord for my wife was the lack of a spare tire (having had a bad experience in our PIP).

The HyCam XLE has Toyota's latest electronics, which while not particularly new and exciting, look better to my eye than Honda's. I liked the new dashboard and dashboard display. Ride is not as soft as the old days, but is still noticeably more compliant than the Accord, with slightly better handling characteristics than prior Camrys, and not floaty like our 2007 Hycam. Steering was still vague, but not quite as bad as prior year Camrys. Seats were firmer than the 2007 HyCam, but still reasonably comfortable. Fit and finish were OK. 2015 exterior and interior are definitely improved over 2014 model. Wife found both OK and comparable to the Accord. I still find the exterior boring, though improved (calling it "bold" is truly bold marketing!). However, the thing that really mattered was that it had a spare tire! Also, that it had PCS, which I will now insist on for any car I buy (and is the reason I had to make a special order).

Honestly, I was not thrilled by any of the current EV or hybrid sedan options out there, other than the too expensive Tesla. If it were me, I probably would have just done a short term lease of a CRV, while waiting for the better options coming in 2017.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the rear end of the new camry, not a fan of the cattle pusher.

12. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a tougher comparison than it used to be for sure. the 2015 TCH is a better car all around than the model before. The handling is better, so'd the interior and exterior. Unfortunately for many, the front end is now a Toyota family design. Like the older Audis and the Mazda 3, you either love it or hate it.

About the only thing I didn't like about the Accord is the distracting lane change, where the blind spot indicator is on the screen. I find the screens to be very distracting while underway.

At any rate, there are now three world class hybrid sedans out there to choose from. Toyota really had to rush to change the new Camry hybrid. Between the Fusion/Camry/Accord it's mostly personal taste. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

withersea and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's really all about real world mpg's, trunk size, historical reliability, spare tyre, interior comfort.

14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    John Hofmeister, former CEO of Shell said this morning gasoline prices will begin to rise later this year and we will see $5.00 gas later in this decade. Whatever we drive I think we better make sure it is a hybrid. The people who are rushing to buy the gas guzzlers are going to be sorry. AS USUAL.

withersea and robertmaria like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw that. funny he's pushing natural gas now. agreed, prices will eventually rise, when and how high? wall street would love to know.:sneaky:

16. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    gas at $20/gal would help to pay the true cost of our soldiers' lives fighting our USA wars for oil. adding it on as a tax is fine by me.

bisco likes this.
  17. sqwerty

sqwerty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have just purchased a 2014 Accord Hybrid Touring with 5800 miles on it from a local Honda Dealer.

I have driven a 2010 Prius since November of '09. It has been super reliable. I have replaced tires and wiper blades and two H11 low beam headlights. I would say I have averaged around 43-44 MPG over the 63 months and 98,000 miles I have driven it. I have been very happy with it. It has been a sound purchase and come this August it will become my son's car.

I knew I wanted another hybrid, mainly because I have become addicted to infrequent fill-ups and not having to take out a mortgage to fill my tank.

I drove the Camry (2014) Hybrid. It was nice. I also drove the Accord Hybrid. It was nicer, only slightly more expensive and that expensive would be amortized in a few years with the better gas mileage.

I bought the Accord because of the better mileage as stated above, but also because the Accord just felt more substantial. I thought the Accord felt much like an entry level Acura, and the Camry....well it felt like a Toyota, maybe a bit tinny and cheap comparatively. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of MPG I get.

withersea likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! please keep us apprised of your experience, thanks!

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just read on driveaccord.net that Honda is pulling Accord Hybrid production back to Japan from it's Ohio current location. Maybe makes sense since the engine and transmission are sourced from Japan anyway.

This Accord Hybrid has mostly slunked back to a 'situation' I'm not too surprised about: Lately about 900 ish sales a month in US. Each dealer gets one a month or something like that. I rarely see Accord Hybrids on the road.

Honda's recent commercial showing dirtbikes and such are sorta pathetic. They tout 'We brought the first hybrid to the US' ....

but who really cares when you (Honda) have 6% hybrid market share.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our previous Civic hybrid we happened to park beside another one once. Purely accidentally, it wasn't a convention or anything. What are the odds? :ROFLMAO: