1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do guys think about the accord hybrid?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by cukodukoo, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems the early shortages of the Accord hybrid were due to the lack supply of hybrid components from Japan. It was reported last month that the issue was resolved, but perhaps is wasn't completely.
    Honda Accord Hybrid: Supply Now Sufficient To Meet Demand

Of course, low gas prices and high sticker price aren't going to win any sales.

2. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I was deciding, my insurance agent quoted the accord hybrid at $300 per year more than a gas Accord, while the Prius was only a few dollars over a gas Accord. Not huge $, but it likely reflects higher estimated costs to repair going forward.

I can't get over the lack of spare tire either - it also was one of the factors that kept me out of a PIP or Accord Hybrid.

I hope the Accord Hybrid does well - I think the serial hybrid plus a single speed lock-up for highway driving is a logical, smart design that has a chance at being nearly as efficient and reliable as a Prius, with the added benefit of stronger, longer electric-style performance at speeds under 47.

I do a lot of highway and cold weather driving, though, and the Prius still is a far more efficient vehicle on roads where the speed limits are 65 or 70, and where the temperature is below 50 degrees (check out the real world reports of 39-42mpg at 70 mph in warm weather on the Accord forums).

Also, I have felt for years that the PSD on a Prius is such an inspired, reliable design - and one that meshes well with a relatively small battery that doesn't get too stressed. I told myself for years that it would be my next car if I could afford it. Driving a Prius is new to me, and I am glad that I made the choice. If I was at a point in my life where I could gamble more on reliability, the Accord hybrid would be tempting!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's too bad. This latest HAH really does look impressive. Honda needs to do more promotion (I've heard nothing on the Accord Hybrid here in Canada and we don't even get the Accord PHV).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you think, 'once burned, twice shy'?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just saw this down at westwood Honda. ;)

image.jpg

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that the showroom or the service bay?

I saw an RLX Hybrid the other day. I think I've seen 2 or 3 Accord Hybrids (the new one). I saw an Accord PHV with Ontario plates last Sept or Oct. It might have been a fleet car for journalists to loan out and write articles on it.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've the new Accord hybrid on the road, and at this time I'm guessing the second one I saw was the same car.

The first one on Fuelly was somewhere in chilly Canada. Which why the first averages for the car there were low.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Tideland Prius it was in the service bay. Think it was new tho. We've had a LOT of Accords over the years, and white's my favourite colour. And of course a salesman happened by to help with my questions.

Gave my head a shake and got outa there.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the early adopter honeymoon being over and low gas prices have caught up with Accord hybrid: I saw 4 Accord Hybrids at San Leandro Honda today. One of them has been there for at least a week. Lot of money for a car with a 3/4 sized trunk and no folding seat.
    I noticed Accord Hybrid sales have dipped under 1,000 a month. Plus the mfrg. is being relocated from Ohio back to Japan not too long from now.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we got our civic hybrid there was a series of enlightenments:

Oh, the rear seat back doesn't flip down?

Oh, the trunk is that small?

Then we got the Prius. :)

11. antiglare

antiglare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I test drove the Accord Hybrid and it indeed was very smooth, solid and refined compared to the Prius, but I still have a confidence problem in the reliability of Honda Hybrids, based on the fact that their past track record has almost exclusively been problematic.

Honda's a great counterweight to Toyota, though. Wish them the best.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The blind spot indicator has an on/off option.

13. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cycledrum- Honeymoon period is over. I've been driving the Honda since January and currently have 17,000 mile on it. Here is a brief review.

Gas mileage: Currently averaging around 45. If I stay within the speed limit I can easily get 49-50. My 2010 Prius was consistently at 47-48 and I could get 54 if obeying the speed limit. I drive mostly highway miles.

EV Mode: Prius was inconsistent when using the EV button and would kick out of EV at 25 mph. Car would not go into EV mode much of the time. The Accord EV button is much more friendly and will go up to 40mph in EV mode.

Interior: The Accord looks and feels much more upscale and is a little more comfortable than the Prius. The Accord is much, much quieter than the Prius. I had the JBL stereo in my Prius and the upgraded stereo w/ subwoofer in the Accord- neither has a significant advantage over the other. I prefer the more conventional windshield in the Accord over the elongated Prius glass.
    I have read reviews stating that the Accord control panel is confusing. I do not find this to be an issue. Your grandmother might, but anyone who is tech savy will have no problem. I do like the lane watch camera. I would like one on the driver side as well, however the driver side mirror has an extended view. Legroom and headoom - I am fairly short at 5'8" and neither car has been an issue.
    As my Prius III was a 2010 and the Accord is a 2015 some of the Accord's technology is a bit more up to date.

Driveabilty: No issues with either car concerning acceleration and braking. Both are fun to drive. The Accord does handle quite a bit better on wet roads. Have not driven it in snow yet. The Prius was great in snow.

Exterior: A matter of preference. I do like the more conventional sunroof in the Accord better the the retractable roof on the Prius. I do miss the solar panel which did keep the car a tad cooler when parked though. The Accord headlights are much brighter than the Prius. I have poor vision so this is an advantage for me. I always hated the split rear window in the Prius. Accord rear view is good. I had many paint chips on the front of the Prius (because of the diving front end maybe?). So far none on the Accord but only a 10th of the mileage so far.

A couple of things I do not like about the Accord - no folding rear seat and no spare tire.

Overall I am happy with the Accord and I liked my 2006 and 2010 Prius (Prii?) as well. I will say that I am glad I gave up waiting for the restyling of the 2016 Prius. Perhaps it will grow on me but I don't really like what I have seen thus far.

breakfast, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm bias for Toyota. Been thru every other car out there. My 2006 XB really sold me on the solid built cars produced by toyota. Had 162,000 miles on it and the only thing I had to replace in 9 years of ownership was the water pump!! Not the starter, alternator, AC pump, timing belt, or any hoses!!! Who wants to deal with the idea of replacing a timing belt when you are still making payments? Really? As for Hybrids, do like I did, research the internet so you can decide what you want. Toyota has proven to me after research and personal use to be the most reliable car out there! I can comfortably say that I will get up to 300,000 miles on this car without having any major repairs. Can Dodge, Ford, GM, Chevy say that? Even my son's honda went down the toilet after 100,000 and the repairs were expensive.