1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do I need to look for?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Aries426, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Aries426

Aries426 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm looking to buy a Gen 3, it will be my first Prius but not first Hybrid ( 2013 Hyundai Sonata). From what I read I should stay away from 2010 because of the Piston issue with the engine. Is there any other years to stay away from in Gen 3?

When I do look at them is there certain things I should be checking out like the battery, warning lights, etc?

What about trim levels? Any to stay away from? I have read many articles, forums and watched videos but I wanted first hand knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

Pixel 3 XL ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    10, 11, 12 and 13 are all the same. 14 got new pistons, and 15 got new rings.

time will tell if that solves the problem, but the egr circuit should be checked/cleaned regardless.

trouble lights would be a no go. reset one of the trip meters, take it for a good long ride under various conditions and see what she returns for average mpg's.

all the best!(y)

PriusGuy32, mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm guilty of starting that, think it's not quite right. My guess now is that at some point in model year 2014 the engine got revised pistons and rings, at the same time. And yeah, who knows what the revision does.

FWIW, earlier model year does not automatically mean oil-burner. I suspect the 10K oil change has something to do with it.

Amen.

Solar roof gaskets have be failure prone.

Blizzard Pearl Metallic has been peel prone for some.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    mikey_t and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mendel, you're killing me :p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Aries426

Aries426 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did read about those 2 issues. Do you know anything about the Advanced Tech Package? From my understanding it has the LKA and Park Assist among a few others, is it good to get or more of a gimmick? I haven't seen to many with this package.

Pixel 3 XL ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know anyone using parking assist

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ran into a post that a couple was trying the park assist for the first time, driver engaged the feature and put gear in reverse complete let off of brake. Nearly slammed into the car behind thinking feature didn't work haha. Buy it if you use those bells and whistles on a daily basis. I only parallel park when cruising around in SF and drive on the highway once every 6 months so those features didn't prompt any compulsive purchase.

If you can find a non 2010 gen 3 with less than 60,000 miles, you'll be good up to 200,000 miles. Other wise I wouldn't recommending a gen 3 prius unless you are willing to DIY all the additional non-listed maintenance items.

mikey_t likes this.
  8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think the ATP has Park Assist for the 3rd Gen Prius, although maybe I'm wrong on that and I just can't find the button. Or maybe there are different ATP packages.

The LKA is pretty much a gimmick imho. Not strong enough to handle much of a curve and, frankly, likes to hug the right side of the lane.

However, when I did my shopping (twice), I would not even consider a Prius without the ATP for one feature -- Adaptive Speed Control. While it unfortunately doesn't work at low speeds on the Gen 3, it works great otherwise. Yes, of course, you still have to pay attention like you would anyway, but it is truly the car essentially driving itself with you just steering. [NO FLAMING ME! -- I already mentioned you still have to pay full attention!]. The system is good enough that it doesn't lag and cause too big a gap where people start cutting in front. If you do significant freeway driving or even highway driving, its great to have.

While not exactly The Jetsons and nowhere near the Cadillac "Super Cruise" system or Tesla "Autopilot" system, its darn impressive for a car at this price point.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check 3 g features explained posted in this sub forum.

10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Park assist was removed from the ATP in 2012 and replaced with HUD.

Grit likes this.
  11. Aries426

Aries426 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you able to get a Gen 3 with Advanced Tech Package and Solar Roof Package? It seems every page tells you something different. I did check out the 3G link but with so much info I wasn't sure which was right. And just so I understand you correctly they removed Park Assist and replaced it with Head Up Display, which comes in the Solar Package right?

Thanks

Pixel 3 XL ?

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Threads with incorrect info will never be sticked here.

13. Aries426

Aries426 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for letting me know that. So then you cannot get the Solar and ATP together?

Pixel 3 XL ?

14. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I question the lubricating capability of increasingly thinner oils which are called fuel economy lubricants may contribute to wear. Most cars used to require 10W30 oil and as time went on the viscosity requirement was reduced.

You might be on to something with the 10k oil changes. It is not a big expense to change it at 5k and it may be good insurance for someone who likes to keep their cars for a long time.

Synthetic oil and dyno oil lubricating properties are similar when first changed but synthetic retains it's lubricating properties much better than dyno oils the more miles are put on it. Synthetic may be good for 10k but I am not going to take the chance.

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do oil change every 15,000 miles and plan to drive mine into the ground. With that being said, I’m in the dog house.

16. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a terrible idea. Why do you change the oil so infrequently?

mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Sounds like a terrible idea. Why do you change the oil so infrequently?"

+1

18. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't get a Gen 3...... Unless it has 50,000 miles on it.

19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To the OP: I have owned a 2012 & my current 2015. I have never experienced oil burning, or any problems whatsoever, actually. Both Pri have been just fantastic. However, I did sell my 2012 with 50k miles, and my 2015 only has 23,000 miles. LOL. I may not be the best reference with my low mileage cars.

Also, you live in E. Greenwich?! I'm from RI. Have family in EG, I just love it there!