1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do these mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ThatOddMan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. ThatOddMan

ThatOddMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to a different Toyota dealership this time for my 2014 Prius Plugin's 158,985 miles service. Reason is I want to have a someone's opinion on my car's service history. And so I have a "backup" dealership to do my PiP's service.

My usual Toyota dealership was able to detect a tiny detail that most people do not notice-incorrect directional tires installation.

I was informed by this other Toyota dealership on the following. However they did not list these on the service record that these needs to be done. I am giving the service person the benefit of the doubt because I checked the service history on Toyota Owners Website and skimming over those can be confusing.
    1. THROTTLE BODY AND MAF SENSOR (HYBRID)
    2. BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE
    3. HYBRID INVERTER COOLANT SERVICE
    4. REPLACE 3RD GEN HYBRID SPARK PLUGS WITH MAJOR SERVICE
    5. W/S TRANS DRAIN AND REFILL (PRIUS OR W/DIPSTICK)
    6. FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE
    7. COOLANT FLUID EXCHANGE

Now, what is the difference between HYBRID INVERTER COOLANT SERVICE and COOLANT FLUID EXCHANGE?

The following was recently done by my usual Toyota dealership.
    • PERFORM HV BATTERY FILTER CLEANING/SERVICE ~|~PERFORM HV BATTERY FILTER CLEANING/SERVICE ~|~ ~|~152573 HV/PLUG IN BATTERY COOLING FANS CLEANING SERVICE PERFORMED.
    • INDUCTION SERVICE REMOVES PERFORMANCE ROBBING DEPOSITS IN THE AIR & FUEL INTAKE AR ~|~INDUCTION SERVICE REMOVES PERFORMANCE ROBBING DEPOSITS IN THE AIR & FUEL INTAKE AREAS, INJECTORS & COMBUSTION CHAMBERS.~|~152573 3STAGE INDUCTION/THROTTLE BODY SERVICE PERFORMED.
    • TOYOTA HEATING & A/C EVAPORATOR CLEANER & REFRESHER~|~TOYOTA HEATING & A/C EVAPORATOR CLEANER & REFRESHER 152573 AC EVAPORATOR CLEANING/REFRESH SERVICE PERFORMED.
    • REPLACE GENUINE TOYOTA CABIN AIR FILTER. RECOMMENDED EVERY 12 MONTHS OR 15,000 MILE INTERVALS. $49 ~|~REPLACE GENUINE TOYOTA CABIN AIR FILTER. RECOMMENDED EVERY 12 MONTHS OR 15,000 MILE INTERVALS.~|~152573 AC CABIN AIR FILTER REPLACED

And the following were serviced by the Toyota dealership before I bought my PiP from them.
    • MAJOR SERV SPECIAL DUE 2YRS OR 30KINCLUDESLOF-CLN ADJ BRKS-ROT TIRES IF NEC-TUNE REPL RESISTOR PLU ~|~MAJOR SERV SPECIAL DUE 2YRS OR 30KINCLUDESLOF-CLN ADJ BRKS-ROT TIRES IF NEC-TUNE REPL RESISTOR PLUGS-PLAT PLUGS EXTRA-REPL AIR FILT-FUEL FILT(CARBTYPE)DRAIN AND REFILL TRANS AND DIFF FLUID-REPL COOLANT COMP INSP ROAD TEST -4X4-6CYL-TURBOS E ~|~, MAJOR SERV SPECIAL DUE 2YRS OR 30KINCLUDESLOF-CLN ADJ BRKS-ROT TIRES IF NEC-TUNE REPL RESISTOR PLU, MULTI POINT INSPECTION FORM ATTACHED., SET TIRE PRESSURE TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

Are the "recommended" service work for my PiP already been done by the dealership that sold me the PiP as well as my usual dealership?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF) gives Toyota’s recommendations for maintenance through 120,000 miles; after that, you can repeat the cycle.
    These are not maintenance tasks recommended by Toyota. They sell chemicals for cleaning these parts, but with a clear disclaimer that they should be used “ONLY when it has been diagnosed that the vehicle actually requires service per the conditions described.” Dealers are free to offer the service to anyone who will pay, however. Both of these were done recently (“INDUCTION/THROTTLE BODY SERVICE PERFORMED”), and there’s no need to do them again, though I’m sure the dealer would be grateful for your support of their business.
    Toyota doesn’t mention it in the U.S. Guide, but in Europe and Canada, they suggest replacing the brake fluid every two or three years. The fluid accumulates moisture and contamination over time, and eventually this can affect braking performance. If it’s never been changed, this is reasonable to do now.
    Toyota recommends replacing the coolant in the engine at 100,000 miles/120 months and the coolant in the inverter at 150,000 miles/180 months, and then both every 50,000 miles/60 months.
    I’d ask the dealer to be sure—I suppose “SERVICE” could mean they just check the level and admire the pink color—but there are two separate cooling systems, one for the inverter and another for the engine.
    Toyota recommends replacing the spark plugs at 120,000 miles/144 months; if this hasn’t already been done at least once, it’s reasonable to do now.
    Under normal operating conditions, there is no Toyota-recommended replacement interval for the automatic transmission fluid, but especially if it’s never been changed, it’s reasonable to do now.

The engine oil and oil filter should be replaced at least once every 10,000 miles/12 months, of course.

3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's no mention of the EGR system. I'd recommend you look around this site, and learn about how the EGR system clogs up over time, potentially leading to very serious problems.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What do these mean?
    1. THROTTLE BODY AND MAF SENSOR (HYBRID)
    2. BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE
    3. HYBRID INVERTER COOLANT SERVICE
    4. REPLACE 3RD GEN HYBRID SPARK PLUGS WITH MAJOR SERVICE
    5. W/S TRANS DRAIN AND REFILL (PRIUS OR W/DIPSTICK)
    6. FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE
    7. COOLANT FLUID EXCHANGE
    It means that dealer thought you looked like a big $$ ATM machine.........

Mendel Leisk, Grit and pjksr02 like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This all means dealers think this is an electric vehicle, no oil changes listed.

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2345 yes. Last one redundant. I felt like I needed to straighten my bowtie and puke at the same time for 6....

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like how they sub "exchange" for "change".

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The answer to that is, yes, there is a difference.
    First, they should drain and replace BOTH. I don’t know what “Service” means.

Second, the Prius has Engine coolant, like most normal engines, and it has a separate inverter coolant loop and pump. So it’s good they’re willing to do both.

You can do ALL of these maintenance tasks yourself by following the NutzAboutBolts maintenance videos.

ThatOddMan likes this.