1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do u guys think. Can I salvage my tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SoCalBPrius, Jul 15, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just found this past saturday while I was washing. A screw that went in at the edge of the tire & has gone through to the side as I can see & feel the bulge on the side:eek: . Such a strange area & even stranger the way it's in there slightly angled & not all the way in about 3/4 of the way. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but has anyone experienced similar puncture & was able to salvage the tire as it is fairly new(about 6k miles) & seems like such a waste:(.

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're lucky.... It doesn't look like the tire actually got a hole in it... Just unscrew it and see if it leaks... It probably won't. And maybe this tire will blow sooner than your others, but I doubt it. As long as the sidewall doesn't swell/wires aren't torn, you'll be alright. Of course take it to a tire store looking to make money off of you rather than being honest with you and you might get a much different answer than mine.

3. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ouch baby, very ouch. When I have had any failures near the side wall, discount tire will not fix it. They will force a replacement due to safety reasons...and this is done free for me since I always get the package deal from them. So f0r those about to say yes they push replacement to get your money does not apply for all of us with the insurance.

Do you have the package deal from them? I love not having to worry about my tires...ever. It paid for itself when I had a puncture on my Titan that was in the sidewall...those offroad tires are expensive. Got a brand new one covered under my plan.

4. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, it was a double ouch moment especially knowing I didn't have the insurance certificate they offered at the time of purchase:(. Oh well, gotta bite the bullet as I most likely need to replace it. I'm going to put my stockers back on & see if I can pull out the screw & see how bad it is & if it's even fixable. I doubt it though as the screws pretty big & there's a good size welt on the side of the tire.

5. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking likewise but the screws pretty big & I can't imagine that wouldn't cause some kinda damage even if it doesn't leak, the tire & the safety of it is probably greatly compromised unless I was able to do a solid repair, such as patch it up but then again patching may do nothing as placement of the puncture concerns me on a possible fix. I'll definitely get a better idea after I take off the wheel & tire, pull out the screw & see the extent of the damage.

6. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't think so, it looks just between the tire and the laminations they mold onto it. Go watch a youtube video on how tires are made. If it isn't deep and doesn't leak, you should just unscrew it and maybe get a small phillips head and some rubber cement and push some rubber cement into the groove left after removing the screw.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a tough call since it is so close to the thinner portion of the sidewall. If you were a real aggressive high speed driver I would say replace it for sure. I'm on the fence with this one.

With this type of puncture you could experience a blowout. While those may be easy to control, they can do quite a bit of paint/body damage if the tire rips apart. Who knows.

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Given the location, I wouldn't risk my safety. If there is a leak, no reputable shop will repair it, and even if no leak, the tire has been compromised in a particularly bad location.

It appears your tires have lots of tread left, so you shouldn't have to replace more than the 1 tire.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had/have a puncture in a very similar spot on one of my tires on my Camry SE. The main difference was that mine did go through the side wall slightly and it was losing air slowly.

Edit: Inserted Pic

[​IMG]

You can see that the plug is right between the tire tread and the sidewall, but the screw that punctured the tire did deform the sidewall like the OP's tire.

I also was hesitant to repair it, but I did and didn't think it would be a problem while the tire was on the rear of the car, since the rear of the car has a lot less weight on it and isn't involved with the steering dynamics of the vehicle.

I have since rotated the tire to the front of the vehicle and even with the weight of the 3.5L V6 engine up front, the tire has been OK, so far...

I didn't want to replace the tire, because this was one of two tires I had replaced when I previously ran over some debris on the freeway that caused a blowout and a bent rim, so the tire was pretty new.

SoCalBPrius likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my impoverished college student days I would have used the tire as long as it didn't leak but I wouldn't now unless I had a way to know that none of the belts were touched by the screw. The belts aren't weather resistant and if moisture gets leaked into them that's not good in the long term.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It seems a waste but DO NOT continue to use that tyre. It might be alright but it might also want to blow out on you at 80 mph one rainy evening.

As xs650 said, when I was 18 I'd have probably continued to drive on that tyre, but the phrase "older and wiser" is there for a reason! :)

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One hundred percent with Grumpy Cabbie you can't risk your life and the life of others for the price of a tyre even though I know it hurts.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup the tires store by me wouldn't touch it. Anything having to do with sidewall damage no matter how small and they will not get involved. To many horror stories of cars with sidewall blow outs.

You could pull out the screw and if it does not leak drive on it carefully until replace time. Just don't roll hard into corners on that side.

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldnt even risk that. If you do highway driving the sidewalls get hot, especially if you have a full car. The damage could be internal and could spread without you even knowing about it.

In my job I've had a blow out and many of my taxi colleagues have too and it's not nice. I can relate many stories of drivers spinning out on busy motorways because of blow outs. It just isn't worth the risk. One guy had a blow out and hit and/or caused other cars to hit each other as he spun out. Nobody was seriously hurt but it was one big insurance claim.

And these examples are from people who check their tyres religiously.

I think you got your answer no eh? :)

15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yea... Tire shop won't touch it, but if the tables were turned and you pointed out tiny ripples in a sidewall on a new tire they'll tell you that the sidewall is safe and its just normal manufacturer defect that doesn't effect the safety of the tire.

As has been said before if the screw didn't damage the belts in the tire and you can rubber cement the hole so water can't rust the belts, the tire is fine...

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah your right. I agree and retract my suggestion. Its not worth it.

17. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picture 2218.jpg First, I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions & will consider them :) . On that note, I took the screw out today & no air leak. Also, I was amazed to find minimal damage appearance wise as there is a small puncture where the screw went in & the side was hardly noticeable as the bulge is gone despite almost the whole length of the 1 1/2 inch screw being imbedded in there moments before. Currently, I have my stock set back on & when the time comes to refit it w/ the 17's, I will weigh my decision. Here are some pix. of tire after the screw was taken out & the screw itself. View attachment 39957 View attachment 39957 Picture 2219.jpg Picture 2221.jpg

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't drive on public roads, or haul any PAX in the car, then I'd say that you're (probably) old enough to roll the dice on your own. Vaya con DIOS.
    However (comma!) since you have to share the roads with others who may not appreciate it when your car goes skittering out of control because you wanted to "take your chances" I'd humbly suggest that you go ahead and change out the tire.
    Too bad it's not the rear tire for a motorcycle. ;)
    I took a roofing nail in my $270 VRSC rear tire when it had 5,000 miles, and about 60-percent of its tread remaining. It was repairable, but the cost of un-mounting/repairing/remounting plus the fact that the tire was more than half way through its life cycle, coupled with the fact that there are only TWO tires on a motorcycle made the math pretty easy---PLUS I got to see how many burnouts I could do with a plug before it failed.
    You know what?
    It never did.
    I hit the steel treads, dismounted the rear wheel, and replaced it.

Of course, with a Prius I guess all you can do is to make sure that the tire is properly recycled. ;)
    It ain't easy being green.

Sometimes...it's not easy being a responsible citizen either.
    No kidding.
    If it were ME...I'd replace the tire.