1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do we win?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Oct 25, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]338787[/snapback]</div>
    So what about his facts about what hillary, kerry, et.al. said?

2. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 26 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]338703[/snapback]</div>
    Here are my cherry picked quotes:

So Mr. President, for all its appeal, a unilateral attack, while it cannot be ruled out, on the present facts is not a good option. -- Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

There is clearly a threat from Iraq, and there is clearly a danger, but the Administration has not made a convincing case that we face such an imminent threat to our national security that a unilateral, pre-emptive American strike and an immediate war are necessary.
    Nor has the Administration laid out the cost in blood and treasure of this operation. -- Ted Kennedy, Sept 27, 2002

Although the quote from Kerry is repeated adnauseum on conservative blogs, I have been unsuccessful at ever finding the full text of the speech. It is however consistent with some of the things he said in his floor speech on the war vote. Here is my quote cherry picked from that speech:

If we go it alone without reason, we risk inflaming an entire region, breeding a new generation of terrorists, a new cadre of anti-American zealots, and we will be less secure, not more secure, at the end of the day, even with Saddam Hussein disarmed. -- John Kerry, October 9, 2002

Believing as I do that context is a marvelous aid to understanding the meaning of people's words, I have linked the full text of each of the three speeches I've quoted so that you may decide for yourself what the message was.

So far as I know there is one player who did not believe that SH had weapons of mass destruction -- Hans Blix. But being the one on the ground with his team in IRAQ, what could he possibly have known? I believe he was quoted as saying "Your intelligence is garbage."

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You forgot one ...

"YEEAAARRRGGGHHH!" -- Howard Dean

That pretty much sums it up for me! :p

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Pogo - here's the Kerry speech from January 23, 2003.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/012503A.kerry.no.rush.htm

Excerpt:
    "But what matters is not just what we win but what we lose. We need to make certain that we have not unnecessarily twisted so many arms, created so many reluctant partners, abused the trust of Congress, or strained so many relations, that the longer term and more immediate vital war on terror is made more difficult. And we should be particularly concerned that we do not go alone or essentially alone if we can avoid it, because the complications and costs of post-war Iraq would be far better managed and shared with United Nation's participation. And, while American security must never be ceded to any institution or to another institution's decision, I say to the President, show respect for the process of international diplomacy because it is not only right, it can make America stronger - and show the world some appropriate patience in building a genuine coalition. Mr. President, do not rush to war."

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 26 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]338547[/snapback]</div>
    Whaddya mean, Squid??? I gave a real answer: If we win, we win control of the oil. But we're not likely to win. Certainly not with a moron as commander in chief. What more of an answer do you want?

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]339052[/snapback]</div>
    Now, now, just because Bush is an idiot and a moron that's no reason to call him names. :D

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]338958[/snapback]</div>
    "(W)e need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime. We all know the litany of his offenses. He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. ...And now he is miscalculating America’s response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. That is why the world, through the United Nations Security Council, has spoken with one voice, demanding that Iraq disclose its weapons programs and disarm. So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but it is not new. It has been with us since the end of the Persian Gulf War." -- John Kerry, Jan 23, 2003

Mr - i voted for the war before i voted against it - should open a Waffle House :lol: Has he ever made a decision and stood by it? Maybe that is why he lost the election against a guy who can't speak in public, pronounce nuclear, and has trouble stringing two thoughts in sequence while on his feet? I kind of hope he runs again - just for the amusement of it all. Maybe he can get his medals back - I mean a certified war hero throwing his medals away - he must regret that action - unless of course those medals never meant much to him for whatever reason.

8. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 25 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]338249[/snapback]</div>
    According to Mary Matlin this morning apparently we win "scores of millionaires in IRAQ". This, to her, is how we know things are going really well there.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]339052[/snapback]</div>
    Wait didn't you say that about GW1/Desert Storm? Where have we been hiding all that Kuwaiti and Iraqi oil from that war? Oh BTW the Afghan oil do we have that oil also? Maybe that's why the price of oil is going down all those millions of barrels of oil flooding the market from all the oil wars we have fought. LOL :p

Wildkow

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 26 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]338794[/snapback]</div>
    poogo :rolleyes:

Sorry I just couldn't resist that one, my bad! ;) Your example is a good one and another of the many reasons not to vote or trust the demoncrats cause they talk out of both sides of their mouth or as db pointed out they waffle and flip-flop on everything especially the difficult decisions. After eight years fighting the WOT where is the plan/policy from the demoncrats? Few if any of the nations that deal with us would trust us if on one hand we said one thing and on the very same day issued another statement contrary and opposite of the prior statement. They may not like some of the things we do but at least they can now trust us to carry through on what we say we are going to do.

Wildkow

p.s. Oh another thing after all the blustering and waffling and the quotes you noted above all but one or two of them voted for war, so the examples you cite are not real good indicators of their true feelings/intentions IMHO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 27 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]339718[/snapback]</div>
    Could you cite something for this?

11. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 27 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]339735[/snapback]</div>
    Only that it's what I personally heard her say in an interview on foxnews this AM. She said there are "scores of millionaires" in Iraq, and opined that the economy must be doing well or that couldn't be.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 27 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]339757[/snapback]</div>
    OK just trying to get some context. Don't know if I fully grasped what you were trying to say in the orginial post. Mary M. is a pretty sharp cookie still surprises me that she hooked up with the "Ragin Cajun" sorry but he is one Butt-Ugly dude! But to be fair he is almost as intelligent as his wife.

Wildkow [attachmentid=5499]

p.s. That's all for tonight! Off to Las Vegas tomorrow to watch Celine Dion and the NHRA drag races tomorrow.

p.p.s. WTH! Did I just mention Celine Dion and Drag Racing in the same sentence? [attachmentid=5498]

Attached Files:

13. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 27 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]339869[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely, which is why it surprised me. I (like you were with me) was kind of wondering what point she was trying to make, and with whom. Number of millionaires in Iraq didn't seem to be relevant to much of anything.
    Well she does refer to him as "serpent head" in public. She, OTOH, looked pretty good. I hadn't seen her for a while -- Married life and motherhood must agree with her.
    And lot's louder. I've often wondered what dinner conversation in the Carville/Matalin household must be like. Have a good weekend.

14. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 26 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]338950[/snapback]</div>
    Bush reached the exaulted rank of Cheerleader at Yale. I bet he made a lot of sounds like this.

That sums it up for me too.