1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you guys think about this roof spoiler?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, May 2, 2012.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. powerjo

powerjo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lovely and clean !

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If doing body mods IMHO would go with full body kit. I am not really sure what image shows. Sorry IMHO not a go for me.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The image is of a roof spoiler. It's very subtle. See the tiny 'lift' on the top of the glass?

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I talked to someone who bought this spoiler for the Gen III and he sent me a picture of it on his car (see first pic below).

Notice he installed it on the panel above the rear window. On the picture in the eBay listing, however, it's on the top of the glass (see second pic).

He did point out that he had to leave 1/4" of space between the spoiler and the roof, so that when he opened the trunk, the spoiler would clear. But now I'm wondering, where is the right place to put it? What looks better?

Attached Files:

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd want to see wind tunnel tests before changing the car's aerodynamics. Although, most street cars aren't driven fast enough for this mod to make any difference.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha I never even considered this. I don't know if this counts as "changing the car's aerodynamics" so much that I don't even know if you are you implying it would improve or hurt aerodynamics? Do you have any input on where I would place this though? (on the top of glass or on the top of the section above the glass)

Edit: The guy says he put it on the roof otherwise it would be too low - "what's the point" he says. And he said it would hit the wiper. I'm starting to agree with him but my concern would be that it doesn't fit the roof, since the picture shows it installed on the glass. Thoughts?

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Intuition tells me it would have a negative effect on the smooth airflow over the hatch. That said, unless you're also installing a flat 12 under the hatch, it's just cosmetic. ;)

Probably on the glass would be less problematic. If putting it on the roof affects being able to open the hatch, that's a significant problem and a dumb idea. If it's on the glass but in the way of the wiper, you can always install a shorter blade.

1 person likes this.
  9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just confirmed that it'll hit the wiper. I went outside and measured the clearance (it recently rained and I used the wiper so I could see the line and measure it). It's about 39mm from the top of the glass to where the wiper swings, so if the piece is truly 44mm like the eBay listing says, then it won't clear.

I'm leaning toward installing it on the top. The other way is too low like the guy says and I don't want to replace the wiper. I'd have to be really careful about installing it, so I have enough clearance to open the hatch.

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plus I think you would lose the function of the rear window spray if you install it on glass. It'll just spray all over your new spoiler...

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yet another great reason. Thanks C. :)

Ok, we've established that it definitely does not belong on the glass. The question is, does it clear the roof when the hatch is open? On a Gen III apparently 1/4" away from the edge is enough to clear. Does anyone know if the Gen II trunk stops at the same angle? I was just outside taking a look and doing some measurements and I can tell you that when the hatch is completely open, it goes deep under the roof. It's like a canyon in there, I couldn't stick my small fingers between the gap.

12. djstl_atl

djstl_atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    macmaster05 any updates or pictures? I think it's awesome, and I've been looking for something like that for awhile. Let us know how it looks and where it was installed :)

14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What i would like to see is this in a "lip spoiler" like the BMWs.. instead of roof spoiler.

[​IMG]

or even a lil more sporty...

[​IMG]

15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    personally, i'd install it in a dumpster. (see avatar). however, i do like some of your blacked-out mods. and i'd like to see what red vinyled tail lights would look like. i hope its easier to install than window tint...