1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you mean, ''We can't reset your TPMS''

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lester williams, Aug 31, 2014.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can get a wireless pressure sensor for between $30 and $80. Sending units screw on. This one is cute.

RobH likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I have just been insulted.:D

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's really difficult to see that a tire is low, as opposed to completely flat. And it's usually impossible to detect road damage in time to avoid destroying a tire.

I drove through an accident scene in an older car without TPMS, and picked up something from that crash. About a mile down the road I noticed bad handling, and by the time I could get to the edge of the road the tire was damaged beyond repair.

I suspect that TPMS would have given me earlier warning and avoided having to buy 2 new tires. Light coming on on a really cold morning in winter is probably just low pressure due to the cold (but still needs attention). Light coming on immediately after running through debris is probably a real flat.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure immediate response is the TPMS's long suit. Mine seems to turn the light on eventually if some tire pressure is low enough, and then after adding air, the light goes out again, some time the following day. Wouldn't want to make any hasty judgments, you know.

-Chap

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 1999 Plymouth Prowler came with runflats and an early TPMS from the factory. You can't carry a spare anything in the car and it weighs 2800 pounds. You can't tell by looking at the tires if one is completely flat.

I don't know if you can buy a new tire in a state where TPMS is required and have it removed. Liability is a big deal anymore.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the response matches the rate of pressure change. I've added air while watching the Techstream TPMS report and the response was quick. When I registered a new sensor before installing it, it must have been 20 minutes before it finally decided the sensor was there.

7. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rented a Hyundai Tuscon last week. Even this low-value crap can had tire pressure sensors.

BTW, what a junker. Lots of road noise. Cheap plastic feel throughout. Massive key fob (probably has to be registered as a deadly weapon), noisy climate control. Very uncomfortable seats (which were strangely square shaped). My first experience with a Korean car. Probably my last, as well.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, when I have Techstream connected watching the data list, I can see the pressure readings in near real time. Mine still seems to wait 'til tomorrow to douse the yellow light on the dash though.

-Chap

9. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't have then on my snows mounted on separate steel rims either. Just periodically check the air pressures now and then. Don't even notice the flashing butt light anymore. :ROFLMAO: