1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you think about this accident? Totaled or repairable?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Koolfreak, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What do you think about this accident? A women never saw the stop sign and crashed on my prime. Side curtain airbags opened...

Prius Prime 2018 Technology, 80 000 km

I have a replacement cost insurance... and they must repair with oem brand new parts...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Koolfreak, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone ok?

That pillar looks suspect. Frame could be toast?
    Looks very close, but possibly repairable in my eyes.
    Hard to tell I only see 3 pics out the 6?

3. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... everyone's ok... thanx for asking. Security are impressive on todays cars... I have only 3 pics of this accident. The 3 other are bugs...

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent!! Yes, for those of us who have been around a long time, today's crash protection is impressive.

That is the primary reason I keep suggesting to the spouse that it might be a good idea to part with the daily driver that I bought for her 33 years ago. It still runs well and is super cheap to keep and operate, but an incident like this in a car of that era would be, at very best, seriously life altering. I just barely avoided a similar passenger side broadside from a taller pickup truck running its red light at well over speed limit, where she was riding on the target side. That was impetus to upgrade to a car with much more modern crash safety, leading to my first Prius. We were lucky then, but good luck doesn't last forever.

Washingtonian likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a goner

pghyndman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to read about the accident, but glad to find out that no one was hurt. I often hear that if the airbag was deployed it is automatically totaled. I am sure it can be repaired, but for an insurance company, it is cheaper, and certainly easier to handle it as totaled to write it off.

#6 Salamander_King, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    pghyndman likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm seeing two doors, a quarter panel, at least one side-curtain airbag, and paint on all of that (well not the airbag) and the rear bumper cover.

Hard for me to put a number on that though. I always guess low with body work.

The plastic rocker panel seems to have popped back out to its original shape. Mine did that too, after I tested the boulder detector.

8. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Deploying the airbags may be an automatic 'total' for some insurance companies. And if the frame is bent, that would likely do it, too.

pghyndman likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That center post is a goner and a PITA to get everything to realigned. Parts, labor, paint - the insurance company will make out better if they just write it off. They're going to get major bucks as a salvage sale - good drive train, electronics, front end, rear end, battery pack.
    They'll write you a check and good luck trying to find a replacement in today's market.

10. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Koolfreak, I am glad everyone is ok. I would second everything that BIOMED01 said. Doors are easy to replace. But damage to center pillar and LR quarter is not. That with possible pulling of the roof and floor area due to the pillar stress, plus side airbag almost certainly makes this a total loss. Again with the high price of salvage parts including the gold priced headlights and carbon fiber rear hatch make the salvage sale price high. If this wasn't a Covid year you could probably do well with some end of the year rebates on new, but not this year I presume.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

BiomedO1 likes this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What are the Quebec regulations for when the insurer must total the car? With today's very high replacement cost the extensive damage might not reach the limit where it is required to be totaled. If it was my car I'd want it to be totaled. The best repair is not as good as new.

That WAS a hard hit. It knocked the wheel covers right off!

12. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    In Quebec, that’s automatically a totaled car. I had far less visible damage in an accident with a 2004 Pathfinder about 8 years ago and regardless of what my insurance company would have decided, the government would not allow a repair as the monocoque structure was bent (very slightly).

13. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You were right... total loss... RIP PP 2018... best car I've ever owned!! 1.4 liter/100 km for 84 000 km... I've took a last pics tonight after I picked up my personal effects... Now, I have to wait 4-6 months for the replacement...[​IMG]

pghyndman, Mendel Leisk and dig4dirt like this.
  14. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    RIP

Sorry for your loss.
    On the bright side, everyone ok, and YOU get to wait for another car vrs not.