1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Do You Think (not for the faint of heart!!)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yah, Dave, the "pt" version of "tarmigan" is a derivation of the old English "tarmachan". Be that as it may my spelling reflected the common spelling used up there back then (that's why I put it in quotation marks) and may also be fairly common today.
    Although my post was not following the sequence of your discussion I wanted to make a point regarding cruelty toward living things. Your take on these matters, religious and others, is interesting and certainly useful in provoking others to re-examine ( and most likely reinforce) their own philosophies. To each his/her own. I feel very comfortable with mine and that is the important thing. :?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i hate the thought of killing animals and i am very much like you in that i regret things i had done when young. i basically did things my dad did because like any 10 year old, i wanted to be like him. after i got older and began to form my own opinions about life i quit.

but i do live in an area where many native americans have lived off the land for centuries and the encroachment of civilization has hampered their efforts to survive. (to compensate, we did like most states did and allowed them to have gaming licenses)

so if you hunt and eat what you kill, then i as a pro-choice person can accept that. i dont believe that just becaue the Safeway on the corner is fully stocked that you should not hunt since you dont have too.

for many, it is a lifestyle, a rite of passage, and a great way to bond, spend time with friends and family, and learn certain responsibilities. as long as they dont abuse the priviliage or poach, then i have no problems with that.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While I share your opinion that religion does far more harm than good, the Indian custom of not eating cows actually increases the available supply of protein:

Cows convert plant protein to meat protein at an efficiency of about 10%, but they convert that same plant protein to milk protein at an efficiency of around 33%. Dairy is simply more efficient, and the cultural prediliction favoring milk over meat results in roughly three times as much food being available for people.

The food they would gain by eating those cows at the end of their lives is small compared to the amount of food they would lose by a cultural preference for meat.

Where India remains in the dark ages is not in their dietary habits or in their religion (which is far more progressive than most other world religions, including Christianity) but in the persistence of the caste system, the dowry system, and the shameful treatment in many families of brides who are perceived to have brought too small a dowry. The government and progressive activists are fighting these traditions, but traditions die hard, and India has a long way to go.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i work with an international group of people and we have several indians there as well.

i will say that the indians i work with are among the brightest and motivated of people. their manners are impeccable and they dont "push" their religion... at least not to me. to say they dont push their religion is not right in my mind as anyone who devoutly believes their religious dogma, they have simply no real tolerance for any variance so they are no better or worse than muslims or catholics.

if you are born an indian, it is extremely difficult to make your own decisions on who or how you worship. i see this battle going everyday as we have a two generations of the same family working there. the younger no longer wishes to follow her family's religio n the way the parents are treating their otherwise, bright, energetic, caring and responsible daughter is appalling.

their "tough love" does nothing but display their religious intolerance that is no less dogmatic than any other religions.

their religion boils down to same as all religions in my mind. just another way to strip one of a choice in their life. i am pro choice. if you are doing something that is agreed, desired and accepted by all parties involved, then i believe you have every right to pursue that endevour to your heart's content. if i dont like what you are doing, then fine, dont ask me if i want to participate. but because i dont like it, doesnt mean i will come into your home and tell you taht you are not allowed to do it.

after all, religion has already got that job.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    These creeps ... who knows what's wrong with them that they'd be the way they are. Not condoning, but we have neighbors in Kalispell MT whose dog got shot when it was chased up onto the owner's porch (late 1990's). Seems it had killed livestock. The owner never came out to protest, but rather 'understood' why. Acceptable behavior in some cultures, I suppose. Glad it wasn't my pooch.

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrawles @ Sep 2 2004, 05:11 PM) [snapback]36993[/snapback]</div>
    It's good to have a professional opinion here. {thumbs up}

On livestock populations - I'll agree appetites have made it excessive and given these animals a poor quality of life. Chickens with beaks cut off - standing room only, living in it's own waste...

The US is only the 9th fattest nation, but 74.1% are overweight (see http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2007/02/0...worldfat_2.html )

Some moderation would be good for both animals and humans.

7. lokicat

lokicat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 8 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]402297[/snapback]</div>
    My quick 2 cents on the livestock populations and weather to be a vegetarian or not

We should all to our part to support sustainable agriculture.
    Check it: http://www.sustainabletable.org/intro/whatis/

This way perhaps everyone can benefit.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 2 2004, 10:51 AM) [snapback]36910[/snapback]</div>
    In terms of cows, farmers could still breed them for milk. There are cows that roam around in India and they don't eat them. On a side note, there's a robust industry in India to clean cow dung off of westerner's shoes.

I like your punishment idea, but it's too short. Give them a choice. 10 years in prison or 10 years 10 hours a week in a animal shelter for 10 years.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 8 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]402267[/snapback]</div>
    A person's livelihood comes above another person's pet.
    You don't let your dogs run loose in cities or rural areas - it may appear dogs are loose on farms, but they, by training or temperament, stay close to their farmyard unless with an owner. Any unattended dog seen chasing livestock or even wild game is open to being shot. That's just the rules of farming areas. I tried explaining that to a friend of mine who occasionally let his dog loose on rural roads to "chase deer", but I'm not sure it sunk in. Killing a dog on the owner's porch is a little extreme, it's better to do it at the place of transgression so there's some proof of the act. I assume there must have been some communication between these two people beforehand.

As for meat, I feel hunting is a more humane way to get the meat - the animal lives a free and independent life (instead of being confined and fed unnatural foods), and then instead of starving to death over winter or chased and torn apart by coyotes or wolves, is killed in seconds by a bullet or arrow. Plus you don't spend all the petroleum feeding the animal (although many deer, bear, etc. do eat a lot of farmer's crops).

That said, purposeful violence to an animal for violence sake is clearly a sign of a sick mind.

Holy smokes, a closer look at this thread reveals this is something that happened 2.5 years ago. I should've just let it go, I thought it was something recent. It had a lot of familiar names in it...

10. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 5 2004, 01:58 PM) [snapback]37594[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, you did know that carrot juice constitutes murder, didn't you?

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Whatever happened to these kids its been about two years now?

Wildkow

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sidestepping the sentencing I'll say this.

Better they get put away now before they go "gay bashing" with a baseball bat and take turns beating someone they think "looks gay".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 2 2004, 07:10 PM) [snapback]37012[/snapback]</div>
    Well, lookee lookee lookee.

I guess they'll be buying that baseball bat pretty soon.

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 11 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]403910[/snapback]</div>
    Who knows after being in the slammer for a year their attitudes towards the Gay may have changed. ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

Wildkow

p.s. Then may even be happy to bend over and pick up the soap! :lol: