1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you think of the A-Pillar blocking view?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Skoorbmax, Aug 3, 2011.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't really thought much about that, I guess. I don't recall any close calls, but there have been a few times I've thought "there has to be a better way to do this". Then again, the rear view mirror is also directly in my line of sight when looking through a curve to the right (usually the cloverleaf on/off ramps). Drives me nuts!

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am slightly above average height.

BTW, the window in the A-pillar is almost exactly totally useless. It only lets me see the ground a car length or two out from the side, since it's much lower than the height of my head.

3. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The SAAB that I traded in to get my Prius had a much narrower A-pillar, but it extended more into the interior. It therefore blocked less of the view but was very strong. I think that kind of design is the way to go. You can make it thicker in any direction to make it stronger - why not towards the driver?

4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) No problem until you mentioned it. I'll see if it deserves the extra attention every one is giving it here. After 2 years of driving the 2010 Prius I would doubt it (for me). Very few cars have an unobstructed 360 degree view.

5. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It occasionally gets in the way, but I don't think it's any worse then my 4runner was. I notice it most often making slow, sharp left turns, like in a parking lot or something.

Face it, today's crash test standards pretty much demand a thick A-pillar for crush resistance. It's just something we have to learn to adapt to.

The days of skinny pillars are looooong gone.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it probably can't change much because that is what forms the aero shape of the car.

The view is a fair amount more limited than my Accord Coupe, but I don't recall any close calls in the 16k miles I've driven 2nd and 3rd gen.

7. Casi

Casi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I am constantly surrounded by pedestrians (NYC) and I've learned to rock my upper body back and forth just to make sure there isn't a pedestrian hidden behind that pillar. #2 for me.

8. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #3. 2 close calls within feet of pedestrian crossing stop sign. It was in sync with the walking speed of the pedestrian, completely blocking that person. Let alone other times when it blocks a whole sedan. Yeah, it's me, I'm blaming the A-pillar. However, all my other cars never have this problem.