1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you think when you see those long lines at the Costco gas pump?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pdog808, Mar 15, 2022.

1. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we went to Kawaii for a vacation, that was the most visited location for us.

2. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Commenting on the Leaf. I ran into someone who mods Leaf battery packs with range extenders for a living. Very interesting conversation that started when I saw him plugging into a free DCFC and was surprised that the Leaf comes with this option.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The DCFC was/is an option for the Leaf. Ours didn’t have it as we just didn’t have any need for it.

Pdog808 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dil drove half an hour and sat in line at cosco for another half hour today to save 50 cents/g for ten gallons, only to find out there was a local station at the same 4 dollar price and no lines

5. eatriceyo

eatriceyo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i try to go before closing, never a wait. gotta love that they close at 1030.

Pdog808 likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Congrats; on your hard earned $5 - That's why the Gasbuddy app is your friend:cool:. As I stated in post #7; usually the same price as the lowest priced station in the area.
    I don't go out of my way to to buy Costco or Sam's gas - that's what the Gasbuddy app is for. FWIW; the annual rebate check I get from Sam's usually covers the membership cost; several times over. This last pandemic year with the new Prime was only membership cost plus $30. I didn't realize that I was getting such a large rebate in gas - my monthly gas consumption was cut in half with the Prime. That's a good problem to have.:D

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    $4.09 was the best price we saw in the Nashville area all last week. That's 30¢ less than our home up north

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wondering when we're going to see gas lines for another reason- gasoline shortages.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think we're cutting deals in the mideast to prevent that from happening :(

10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think of 1978 and how lucky we are today.

1978 - gas prices skyrocketed -many gas stations couldn't get gas to sell and the ones that did had large lines with very high prices. Sometimes after waiting in line you would find they ran out of gas before your turn came - some gas stations would ration gas and you could only buy 10 gallons at a time.

We are very fortunate today.

The Gas Shortage of the 1970’s - Oh, The Madness! | Groovy History

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny, mrs. b and i were just talking about that yesterday. we lived a half mile down the street from the same gas station selling gas for $4. today.
    back then, the queue ran all the way past our house, as far as the eye could see.

John321 likes this.
  12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought of it today when our college age daughter asked if we had ever seen anything similar before.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used to get schadenfreude passing by those Costco gas lines in my Prius. Idiots.

Yesterday, while waiting in line at Costco to gas up my SUV, I couldn't help but feel whatever the opposite is. It's anywhere from $0.15 to $0.50 less per gallon at Costco. The cheap gas stations have lines as well. In my PiP with it's tiny 8 gallon or so fill up, it's no more than $4 difference. Now, due to unnecessary indulgence of the American family SUV, it's now up to $8. Which may be only worth $4 soon if rampant inflation continues. Sucks to wait in line but, hey, at least I get a generous Child Tax Credit.

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On March 10, 2022, Boston Globe columnist Renée Graham wrote:

Gas for $5 a gallon? That’s a small cost to save a democracy.
    Like most motorists, I am not relishing the very real prospect that a gallon of gas may soon cost $5. But instead of swearing under my breath at the gas station, I’ll look away from the frustrating spin of the pump’s tally and remind myself that what I’m paying for is democracy. . . . That deeper cost is something Ukrainians already recognize. In a recent interview on NBC News, a young Ukrainian woman said . . . “We are here, we are ready to fight. We want to have our homeland independent, free, and we will have it.” . . .

Yet the surge in gas prices is not mass displacement from home, community, and country. That extra cost is not tantamount to millions of Ukrainian families now separated at border crossings and left with nothing but their faith that they will be reunited. It is not the agony inflicted on a nation whose familiar hum of daily life has been replaced by the scream of missiles aimed at schools, apartment buildings, even a maternity and children’s hospital. . . .

Not long after America entered World War II, the government began a rationing system. Tires, gas, coffee, sugar, and metal were among the goods that became scarce for citizens so that they could be used to bolster the war effort. Of course, some took advantage by hoarding highly desired items or selling them on the black market. Yet there remained a prevailing sense of people united and willing to make sacrifices to preserve democracy in the face of tyranny.

By contrast, we’ve witnessed in the past two years just how little many Americans care about the common good. . . . Surging gas prices might be only the beginning of our sacrifices. But whatever comes next, it will be nothing compared with what Ukraine — and the world — stand to lose . . .
    Sometimes it's important to keep things in perspective.

source: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/10/opinion/gas-5-gallon-thats-small-cost-save-democracy/

Zythryn and bisco like this.
  15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    YEP! 1973 for sure .

16. Hydrocket

Hydrocket Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    At Costco?

Costco uses Top Tier certified fuel.

Top Tier is recommended by most every manufacturer.

Homepage

Trollbait and pghyndman like this.
  17. Hydrocket

Hydrocket Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm one of the people who wait in line..though it's generally less than 15 minutes.

And it adds up quickly when premium there is 20 cents less per liter and my Porsche holds 60+ liters.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Saw those lines at a NJ Costco today. If I had known of the archaic blue law that prevented alcohol sales until noon, the line would have been a more productive way to waste time.

19. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If I’m driving by Costco and need gas, I’ll go for it if the line is only a car or two deep. Otherwise I’ll gladly pay 50 cents more per gallon for the no wait convenience factor at one of the other gas stations. It doesn’t matter if it’s the PP or the Tacoma which needs to get filled up; I’m not wasting 15 minutes of my time waiting in line to save a few bucks.

20. Optoprius Prime

Optoprius Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't wait THAT long, it IS worth it in the long run. I have that and a rewards card for gas it's significant savings in the long term. It's something you'll always have to buy so to ME, it's worth the extra few minutes