1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What documents to expect from dealership after purchase

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by yaun, Feb 13, 2019.

1. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just bought a new Prime at a local Toyota dealership in MA. In all my interaction with the dealership they seemed to be a little disorganized. When I picked up my car, the person I had an appointment with to give it to me wasn't there and someone else just found the keys somewhere, handed them to me, and goodbye.

The dealership did the registration and I assumed I would find the registration documentation in the glove compartment but it's not there. Also, should I expect to be handed some type of title documentation? All I have right now is the sales contract. This was my first car purchase so I'm a little confused, how is this supposed to work and what type of documents should I ask the dealership for?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Title, no.
    If you finance, the lender holds the title until the loan is paid.
    If you pay cash the title will be mailed to you. Here in Illinois it’s printed on tamperproof paper. Not something a dealership can produce.
    I would think you would receive the registration for your transferred license plates or temporary plates if you’re not using existing ones.
    You should also receive the completed signed purchase agreement, state tax document along with a encyclopedia worth of manuals and warranties.
    J

3. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The car was paid in cash, I'll just wait for the title in the mail then. The dealership has its own registration unit. I have no idea how it works, but the car comes with new non-temporary plates and the registration fee for that was reasonable. Definitely better than having to deal directly with the local DMV which in the city of Boston always resembles a communist era shop right after the once in a year delivery of toilet paper just came in. I got the manuals. What's a state tax document? MA Sales tax is stated on the purchase agreement, do I need anything else for that?

#3 yaun, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  4. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yuan, contact your state's vehicle licensing department. For you, that's the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV).
    Register and Title Your Vehicle | Mass.gov

They will tell you what documents you need for your new car. Other states may have different requirements, so we need to be state-specific. The dealership is an agent of the RMV and required by them to do everything that is required by state law. If they do not do everything correctly, file a complaint with the RMV.

5. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I was finally able to get ahold of the person who was responsible for me. They forgot to put the registration into the car but will overnight mail it to me. In MA, the dealer does all the registration stuff for new cars, the buyer won't have to deal with RMV until renewal after 2 years. Title documentation will arrive in mail after ~4 weeks. Thanks for everyone's help.

6. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also received a odometer mileage certificate. Not sure if it is a state or federal document. I’m in Illinois. The mileage is also emblazoned on my title.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a bunch of funky paperwork that come with a new car in ma. none of it is important except the registration and title. you have to have insurance to get registered, so you should be all set

8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If they were that disorganized when delivering the car, I suggest you ensure you received everything that should have come with the car. For example, I received a total of 7 different owner manuals: a 784 main manual, a Warranty and Maintenance Guide, an Entune System Quick Reference Guide, the Owner's Warranty Rights Notification, the Owner's Manual Quick Guide, the Quick Reference Guide, and the Navigation System Owner's Manual (that one is 308 pages). Make sure you have the cord used to charge the car and the tools needed to change a tire or pump up a flat. You also receive some paperwork that allows you to charge if free for a couple of months at certain charge stations. I never used that as I charge in my own garage at home. I would also make sure the dealer shows you how to set up and use the Safety Connect so if you ever really need it it is ready to go. (Although I am not sure this comes with the Plus model).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No more free Chargpoint cards as of 2018+ models.

10. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Depending on your state, registration and titles are handled differently. In Nebraska, we buy a new car with a temporary tag. The dealer either mails the lien documents to the County Treasurer, or if no lien, mails the manufacturer certificate of origin to the new owner. Typically takes a few week. Then, with that in hand, off to the county office, pay the sales tax, property tax, registration and other fees. They issue you a title with a registration card and plates.

When I have bought out-of-state for registration here in Nebraska, after the dealer sends me the certificate, it's off to the DMV.

In California, the dealer collects sales tax and registers the car on the spot at point of sale.

11. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That overnight mail never materialized. Two days later I wrote an email, asking them again to mail & email it but never received a response. Then spoke on the voice-box of the general manager and did not get a response. Then looked at an email that I had received from them and previously ignored which asked if my experience with them had been 'truly exceptional'. I returned a review with 0 out of 5 stars. To my greatest surprise, 10 mins later I receive a call from the sales manager asking me what the problem was and he got everything done within 10 mins.

There is another problem, however, which I did not notice previously: In the glove compartment there are two plastic plugs (see picture). On the plastic wrap it says 'To Pre Delivery Inspector'. Insert these into the holes of the center floor side member extensions'.

I found this other thread with someone who had the same problem:

Rubber plugs installed at pre-delivery inspection? | PriusChat

I guess they aren't critical and just close some transportation lock holes to prevent water intrusion. I can easily insert them myself, but at this point I worry if there may be any other pre-delivery steps in getting the car ready that may have fallen through the cracks with the dealer. Any opinions, anything else that I should check?

Attached Files:

12. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I also noticed that no tire emergency inflate kit is included. I assume this is supposed to be standard equipment, is that correct? To me so far it looks like this dealership put close to zero effort into the car after the sale happened. They put a sticker with their logo onto the back, and were done.

13. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry that I turned this thread into a review of my gripes with the dealership, but after my experiences of the last couple of days I'm shocked and only hope that this was simply a 'bad apple' type of example an not an indication of industry 'best practices', and maybe this will function as a warning to others. To follow up on the story above:

I thought it would be a good idea to contact the very helpful sales manager again about the problem with the plugs and ask if they could redo the pre deliver check. He was indeed very prompt in arranging an appointment with the manager of the service department.

When I arrived I told the service manager that pre-delivery checks had been missed and I would like to have pre delivery services repeated. I showed him the plugs that were missed. He then had someone insert the plugs and told me everything was done and I could leave.

When I asked him if the other pre-delivery checks should not be repeated, given that at least one step had been missed, he said that this was not necessary, it was just the plugs. I then told him that the windshield water tank was empty. He then had someone fill it up and then told me again that things were done now and that I was ready to leave.

At that point I asked him for a copy of the pre-delivery checklist. He came out with a generic one with everything checked but without a vehicle VIN. I then asked explicitly for the checklist for my vehicle, which he then brought. On the pre-delivery checklist, both the windshield water fill and the insertion of the plugs had been checked. I asked him how it could be that this was not done then. He said that the person who did the services just could not find the plugs.

This did not make any sense. On the delivery checklist itself it says 'Install rubber body plugs (stored in the glove box or center console)'. They were in the glove box, so how could the service employee not find them? And even if he could not find them, what type of work ethics is it to then just make the check on the checklist and move on?

When I asked again to have the other checks on the checklists repeated, he said this was not necessary everything was done now. At this point I decided not to press any further because my trust had been destroyed.

Now, mistakes may happen, that's ok, but if the head of the department is in denial of clear evidence of negligence and comes with nonsensical excuses and declines to make sure that the work has been done properly, then there is little hope that this situation will improve in the future.

Because of this, I contacted Toyota, and asked if they could transfer the pre-delivery check to a different location. There was some hence and forth and they said they will escalate this and have their regional liaison mediate this but if I want to go to a different location I may have to pay for the pre-delivery check myself as they don't want to pay for it. Not exactly the solution I was looking for, because I don't want to have to deal with this dealership at all any more.

Finally the service manager called and apologized and offered that the dealership will pay for the pre-delivery check to be done at a different location. That's the current situation and I'm waiting for things to get arranged for that and hope that this will now come to a swift conclusion without any further twists and turns and waste of my time.

I'm really amazed at what some people think they can get away with.

Concerning the tire fix kit, it is in a side compartment in the back of the car, so all good. It was interesting though when I asked if they could show me where it is and the services manager went searching for it. He tried to pry the battery cage open until one of the service employees showed where it is. He clearly had no idea how the Prime is built. I guess that's ok since he is doing an office job.

#13 yaun, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most sales people have no clue as to what they are selling. Often times I know more about the car then they do. It is a shame that the dealer industry has come to this. Also it is not uncommon for the pre delivery inspection sheet to be filled out and having some items left off. I would rather just check things myself on a brand new car, then have some heavy handed person working on my new Toy!

15. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I did indeed get the feeling that the service manager had previously been in sales. There was a bit too much sleaziness for an engineer/mechanic. The problem for me is that I'm lacking the right tools, and an easy way to access the underbody, and generally the expertise, so many of the checks are outside of my reach. Some examples on the checklist are
    • Remove disc anti corrosion wheel film
    • Activate and initialize tire pressure warning system
    • Visually check bolts and nuts on the chassis and powertrain for looseness
    • Check hybrid transaxle fluid levels
    • Calibrate intelligent clearance sonar system
    I really couldn't care less about the missing window wash liquid, but I need to be able to trust that any important task on the checklist has been completed.

#15 yaun, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would you consider divulging the name of the dealership so others may avoid them?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It was Herb Chambers Toyota of Boston.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Email Toyota about your experience. And check your tire pressures, fluid levels, lol.