1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does B line mean on the reservoir? And is possible/bad to overfill with too much coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Oct 21, 2022.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    20221020_174634.jpg

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I do a fluid change, I fill it to the B line. Twice I have not had to add anymore
    fluid.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the B line is explained in the repair manual in the instructions for replacing coolant; it's the line you fill to before burping the air out.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

In a nutshell, you fill to the B line, put the cap on, run the engine up to operating temp and yea minutes more (squeezing and shaking some hoses doesn't hurt either, just watch your fingers around the fans), shut the engine off, and wait for it to completely cool down. Once the coolant is totally cooled to its normal room-temperature volume, look at the level again, it should be right around F. (Every time I've done it, it landed right on F at the end, just like the engineers knew what they were doing.)

Mendel Leisk and zoeboi954 like this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Baseline.

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B for burp? That's funny! (Probably true, too!)

No, you can't overfill coolant BUT it's a mess when too much comes out of the overflow tubes so it's best to stick with the lines on the reservoirs. (I keep many flashlights handy to help see them...especially the hidden brake fluid reservoir!)

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whether it stands for Burp or Bleed or some other English b-word that a Japanese translator might have thought of for getting the air burped out, we might not strictly know, but any of those would give you the right idea, as you see in the repair manual instructions for what you use it for and when.

Guessing 'baseline' would lose you your turn, because that isn't how it's used.

Paul E. Highway likes this.