1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does fresh ATF-WS look like? What are the ICE intake manifold and throttle body torque specs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius4ed, Jan 11, 2011.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, I'm starting a new thread in hopes of receiving a reply to these questions in the subject line. Should my ATF-WS (drained from transaxle) be dark burgundy (and you can't see light through it unless you shake it inside a plastic bottle and look through a thin layer of it on the bottle)? I'm troubleshooting my 2040 Prius "loud squeal" from the ICE (possible vacuum leak) so I need the torque values. I'm also checking the ATF to see if it's a bad bearing causing the squeal. Also, need a vacuum diagram of all vacuum components in engine compartment to check them for leaks. Anyone help me please?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Re: What does fresh ATF-WS look like? What are the ICE intake manifold and throttle body torque spec

Virgin Type WS is red, but not opaque. How many miles do you have on the ATF? You shouldn't go more than 60k miles before refreshing the ATF in a 2004+ Prius.

Send a sample of your used ATF to R&S labs for testing and mention Bob Wilson to get a discount (about $25 for contaminants and viscosity tests).

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  3. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: What does fresh ATF-WS look like? What are the ICE intake manifold and throttle body torque spec

Thanks for your reply. Car has only 19k mi on it, but I bought it used and it was a salvage title. The transaxle ATF seems opaque if you try to look thru 2-inches of it in a clear plastic bottle. You can see light thru a thin layer (as in shake the bottle and look thru a thin residual layer on the side of the bottle). Any idea where to find torque values and the underhood vacuum diagram for this car? Really need those badly.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Sounds normal, unless there are solids settling in the sample bottom, similar to dark red engine oil after some use, can't see through it in pan, but looks pretty clean on 'stick. The squeal could be different things, water pumps, belt, no doubt there will be more advice soon. I would start with the simplest, not to fix what isn't broken.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sounds like your car would benefit from a transaxle fluid change.

techinfo.toyota.com is the authoritative source for Toyota repair manual info.

Intake manifold hardware and throttle body tightening torque is 15 ft.-lb.

1 person likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Below is a photo of 3 Prius cvt fluid ssamples. The one on the left is virgin Redline D6 and the one in the center is stock WS CVT fluid with only 5,000 miles on it. You can see how dark it is and no light can shine through it. The sample on the far right is Redline D6 with 27,000 miles on it.
    They are presently in transit to get a UOA on all 3.

Attached Files:

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

Check out:
    Prius Technical Manual (NHW20) - Hybrid Car Forums

Oops - they've moved.

There are downloadable technical manuals at:

http://www.selidori.com/tech/prius/DOC/

The 2004 manual covers 2004-2005 Prii
    The 2006 manual covers 2006-2009 Prii
    The 2010 Manual was just the owners manual when I last looked at it.

JeffD