1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what does the ct200h have that a loaded Prius doesn't have?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by zmre2b, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird, everyone I've talked to or who has seen the NuLuxe seats has gushed over them how good they feel and look. My in-laws from India even liked it better than the beautiful leather seats in the $75k MB CLK550 convertible.

The JBL system is great, but the CT200h premium system is supposed to be superior (and with the addition of a simple sub/amp it's nearly true audiophile level).

Don't know what the noise is that you mention, mine sure doesn't have it, nor any CT200h I've been in. I'm extremely anal about noises like that!!

Mine has massive amounts of cargo space with how I've customized it, and with the seats down it's what, 30+ cubes? Sure seems like plenty to me. In fact it suits my work needs perfectly. I fit an entire computer store in that thing. (No rear passengers at the same time though).

Mileage? I have no problems hitting over 50mpg calculated on every tank. Seems like enough to me coming from a car that got 18-20mpg, and I drive 30,000 miles per year. I'd love it if it were even better, like 60mpg, but I don't think that's realistic with the 3rd gen Prius unless we're talking PHV. (And electricity prices are horrible here!)

$4k more? For the exact same technology? Well, the drive train maybe. But there's rather large differences in the suspension, the lateral dampeners, etc.

$4k is easily worth it to me for the superior handling, looks, and if you take the difference off the back end with higher resale value, I don't see the CT200h being that much more when the whole picture is taken into account.

Is it more? Certainly. But worth every penny IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  2. web1b

web1b Active Member

If you are really going to get the extra money the Lexus costs up front back at resale, then it should not cost any more to lease a CT200h than a Prius.
    Has anyone compared lease costs?
    Too bad more of the $4000 extra for the Lexus didn't go towards more sound insulation to drown out road noises.

3. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, leases don't quite work like that. You pay interest on the amount financed (sales price - residual), and as this would be higher on the Lexus, the monthly lease would be that much higher.

But I looked up the 24 & 36 month lease rates on a Prius and CT200h with a 4k difference (IV vs Premium), and it looks like the Lexus retains 2% more of it's original value at the end of the lease. (From cars.com).

24 months ... 61% Lexus... 59% Prius...
    36 months ... 52% Lexus... 50% Prius...

But that's an extremely 'loose' way to ballpark it. Leases are just SO easy to mess with, adjusting residual value, cap costs, money factor, etc...

The CT200h has only been out for months, so residual value at the end of 2-3 years is just a wild ballpark figure, but one the banks are willing to bet on at least.

So let's buy a $32k CT200h, at the end of 36 months if 61% is accurate that makes it worth $19520... And then let's take a $28k Prius, at 59% it's worth $16520...

So when you resell the Lexus, at least after 3 years, assuming those numbers are accurate, you get back $3000 of that original $4000 more that you paid.

Making the Lexus only $1000 more over that 3 year period, or less than $28/month in lease difference (plus tax/interest/whatever else).

Or just add $1000 onto the cap reduction at the start, and the lease payment is the same.

Just some numbers I pulled off the web, but it sure sounds like the Lexus cost of ownership isn't much more at all... $1000 over 3 years? Works for me!

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

Since it's smaller than a Prius with less rear seat and cargo space and is not much, if any, quieter than a Prius it makes the 2012 Camry Hybrid look better.
    A loaded Camry Hybrid XLE will be a more comfortable, quieter and quicker vehicle than the Lexus with similar cost or less.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Camry is not a hatchback. End of story for my short list of autos to consider buying.

6. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good point. my main problem with the prius and the ct is that they are so painfully slow. but to get a significantly faster hybrid with similar luxury/features you had to go to a rx or a gs. but now the camry has a lot of the prius tech, and even has entune which prius (not the van) and lexus don't even have.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 regular Prius three and up get Entune. Should be here by late January/early Feb. Kinda late, but they're coming.