1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does this warning light mean?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CWM, Sep 15, 2018.

1. CWM

CWM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It looks like it may be a tire with an exclamation mark. I just got this car at the dealer last week

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The pressure in the tire is low or a sensor is not communicating with the car;).

Pull out the tire pressure gauge and see if you have a tire low.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Skibob and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. CWM

CWM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the pressure which was 18 psi. I took it up to 32. By the end of the day, the light was still on, so I took it to the Toyota dealer. They took it up to 33 and the light went off. Said they checked for nails, etc.
    Light went on again the next day, so I took the tire off and repaired it myself. Pulled a tiny metal splinter out of a deep part in the tread. Hard to find. Holding at 33 and light went off after a few minutes.
    So, if I take the pressure down to get a more car-like ride, will this light go on again? It rides like a truck now. Where and how is this sensor configured?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you press/hold the TPMS set button as described in the manual, it will reset the alarm thresholds to be several pounds lower than whatever pressure is currently in the tires.

Have you checked the placard in the car to see what the pressures should be?

A Prius has a pretty heavy front compared to other cars, and there may not be a large margin for lowering the tire pressure, at least for the front tires, and still being within their load-carrying limits. That had to be very carefully kept in mind for Gen 1, though Gen 2 and 3 use slightly larger tires so there may be a better margin.

I like my tire warning to give me early notice, so I actually pressed the button with the tires overinflated, then let them down to my usual pressure. That way, the warning is set for just a couple pounds lower.

-Chap

Skibob likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Man it's never easy to find this. Took a concerted ten minutes wandering through the pdf. I'll attach a (printable) pdf of the page.

upload_2018-9-21_19-23-47.png

(Not sure exactly what a "few minutes" entails: maybe five?)
    ("Turn the "POWER" switch to ON mode" equals "push the start button twice without foot on brake".)

Attached Files:

#5 Mendel Leisk, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Skibob likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You complained about a hard ride in an earlier thread, but never answered my question about your tire pressure there.

Be aware that the recommended tire pressure label on this car lists 35 psi front, 33 rear. Anything less than that puts them at underinflation risks. If you are running lower pressure and still find the ride too hard, then I'd suggest:

(1) check your pressure gauge against some others, to identify whether or not your gauge is seriously in error; or
    (2) check your suspension, is something worn in such a way to cause a needlessly hard ride?

7. Moh-V

Moh-V New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the warning light will turn off once you get the write pressure !

8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will turn off when it reaches the pressure it’s set for. You can reset the pressure to whatever you like by pressing the reset button.

Moh-V likes this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone should read their owners manual. It’s surprising how many people come here and ask simple questions that reading the owners manual would solve.

Not having it is no excuse either, you can go to my Toyota.com and download it. If you can post here you can get to it.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two