1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does Toyota say about their stupid traction control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cossie1600, Jan 20, 2011.

1. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wrote to Toyota and complained about the traction control. This is what they wrote back to me. Well that is nice and well, but how does that help me get up hills in the winter? (I have snow tires)

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the concerns you are having the traction control in your 2010 Prius.

There may be times when you attempt to accelerate from a stop on snow or ice where the throttle will not respond. The reason for this is that our hybrid vehicles have 100% of the electric engine's torque available at 0-1,500 RPM unlike our gas-only vehicles, where maximum torque is available around 4,000 rpm. If the Traction Control System detects wheel spin it will inhibit the throttle because if the tires were to spin and then suddenly gain traction, the torque would be so great that damage could occur to the transaxle.

We have documented your dissatisfaction with the Traction Control here at our National Headquarters under file , where they remain available for review to the appropriate departments

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html

Sincerely,
    Joanne Hahn
    Toyota Customer Experience

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Boilerplate but they did forward it to the team, not much more I expect could be done.

FWIW I've heard that TC on the 2nd gen was a problem and it's much better now. My wife and I both have found, to be honest, TC to be a delight in this car. And it does appear to allow some amount of wheel spin, so unless you simply want it turned off (helpful in some, but definitely a tiny, minuscule minority of situations), then I don't see a real problem.

We are in NY and we're using the all seasons that came with the car. Our area is well plowed, though.

3. MeriJeen

MeriJeen New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chains might prevent that wheel spin...

4. kevindeschamp

kevindeschamp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Exactly what do you think is stupid? I understand that you would like it to behave differently but that does not necessarily mean that it is stupid.

It appears that Toyota have been working on this as we hear reports of steady improvement between 2004 and 2009 with a bigger improvement in 2010.

Do you know an easy way for Toyota to provide much more effective traction control with an HSD without risking serious damage to the car?

In my limited experience driving my 2010 on snow and ice, it has seemed to do better than the other cars on the road even though I just have the original tires. I see a lot of other reports that say the same thing.

One particular advantage it seems to have in snow is that the controllability of torque is so much better than it is in traditional cars, particularly when you are in ECO mode.

I would appreciate better performance in any respect but I certainly would not want marginal traction improvement on ice if it came at the price of transmission failures or giving up the benefits of the HSD.

1 person likes this.
  6. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A lot of people don't seem to understand that is is counter-productive (a bad idea) to spin your tires while driving on snow and ice. So when they try to spin and the car won't go, they think it is a problem.

Just yesterday, I drove up a steep hill in fresh snow where two other cars went off the road by trying to spin their way up the hill. I eased the Prius up the hill with no problems whatsoever. The car started to slip slightly once, the traction light came on and straighten the car out instantly.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Isn't this the second thread on the same topic (Toyota's response) from not long ago?

8. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Judgeless was the duplicate thread police? :D

1 person likes this.
  9. N8JC

N8JC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius' traction control only engages when one or both tires slip. We in agreement so far? Physics determines when the tires slip - not Toyota engineers. Still with me? Accelerating 3,000lbs of steel from a dead stop to 15mph requires a substantial amount of adhesive friction between the two drive tires and the road surface. This is substantially reduced with the introduction of a lubricant (i.e. water, snow or ice). How are we doing? So if you expect your Prius to defy the Laws of Physics then go find yourself a DeLorean and a flux capacitor. In the meantime, stop wasting Toyota's time with your foolish complaints or do something productive like purchase aftermarket tires which have better snow and ice performance. I personally live in Minnesota and face snow and ice on a daily basis and see no better traction control performance in my Honda Accord.

bhilgefort, tomlouie, User37 and 7 others like this.
  10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am convinced that many people like the spinning wheels because it is feedback that something is actually happening. But like you point out, it isn't helping anything and likely making the situation worse.

2 people like this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although I might think some of the complaints are off base and probably agree that w/the above about tires, I don't necessarily agree that it's a waste of Toyota's time.

The OP at least logged another complaint in Toyota's database, even if the response wasn't great. It might cause changes in the future (e.g. OEM tires w/better snow and ice performance). See http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-h...er-heard-problem-toyota-line.html#post1140153 and http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ll-little-more-information-4.html#post1061546.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Cossie...,

Several 2010 Prius owners have found that using ECO mode results in easier, spin free accelleration from a stop in icy conditions. Once the wheels spin, the TC will kick in. With the Prius, the goal is to avoid spin at all costs. The ECO mode de-sensitizes the accelerator pedal sufficiently, that its possible to get the car rolling, without kicking in the full torque of the motor.

Give it a try!

1 person likes this.
  13. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just don't get all the complaints about the Gen III, I did not own an earlier model than my 2010. We've had two of the snowiest winters in decades in Green Bay and I find the Prius to be incredible in snow.
    ????????

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if the TC complaints are from people not used to TC?

Has anybody found the TC in a 2010+ Prius to be bad compared to another FWD car with TC?

I can tell you our Prius accelerates a great deal better than my minivan, which lacks TC and will be simply inclined to spin wheels like crazy.

15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tires ... Tires .... Tires ....

16. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those who doesn't think traction control is an issue, I suggest you try driving up a hill with a relatively sharp turn. Here is the problem. If you drive too fast, you can't make the turn. If you go too slow, the traction control will start slowing down the car. Eventually it will slow the car to a crawl and gets you stuck. This has happened to me several times already, obviously it will happen less to people who don't live near step roadways or driveways.

You can soft pedal the car as much as you want, but you can't do much when you are driving uphill.

I do have a set of brand new snow tires.

I am not suggesting TC is bad, I just wish there is an off button to turn it off if you need it. Most cars have a traction control system that you can turn off somehow!

1 person likes this.
  17. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good tires are important, etc, etc, however....

Why is the Prius different in this regard from other cars? If I put my truck in first gear, and spin the tires on snow, when I pass onto dry pavement, nothing explodes. The tire friction on dry pavement is only so much, so the max torque on the driveline is limited by this tire-breakaway torque. They design everything to handle that amount of torque. This is why people who put on larger wheels/tires tend to break driveline stuff.

The tires/road friction acts as a safety release to the whole system. Why is this not the case with the Prius?

Let's say the tires are spinning, and MG2 is spun up to some high speed (made worse by the MG2 reducing gears in the GenIII). Then when I reach dry pavement, the friction increases and the tires start to slow down. Granted, this rapidly decelerates MG2, but it can only do this to the limit of tire friction. Is the gearing not strong enough to take this torque limit? If that's what's happening, then it's a poor design.

What if I'm driving 40 MPH on sketchy pavement and have to make an emergency stop. If the wheels momentarily lock while the ABS is struggling, will the transmission grenade? Is this why the Prius ABS is so poor...they're protecting the transmission? If that's what's going on, then they should have put torque limiting slipper clutches on the motors so the tires/brakes/ABS can stop the car and the transmission will take care of itself.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cossie1600 How do you know the car with TC would have handled this situation better?

In general TC is giving you superior handling to non-TC

I don't think it is poor.

19. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 I only use ECO model never anything else. What little bit of snow and ice I get has never been a problem. This winter, my NC area got an inch of ice and 4 inches of snow. Ruby Sue's TC never lit up, but then I use ECO mode and never, never accelerate too rapidly. I have lots of hills to climb up and down too. I guess you don't want to get caught behind this old man in traffic. FYI...during this winter's ice/snow, I average 52.6 at 40mph average.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

20. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Huh, what does traction control have to do with handling? This is not about the stability control, I am purely talking about the traction control. Traction control is so intrusive that it can virtually shut off the engine and leave you to a standstill when you could use a little wheelspin (going uphill is a classic example).

I have been living in this house for five years, never gotten stuck because the computer decides to freeze the wheel and not let me come up (not due to the tires)? Is that a good enough reason? I have had about nine cars in five years...