1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What don't you like about your new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Gen 2 Tom, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe Honda hasn't come back with a response for why they use touch pads for volume and tuning. I haven't come across an automotive journalist who hasn't complained about Honda's infotainment systems (without knobs).

Thank god for knobs!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SORRY - I meant the AUTO PARKING which parks the car for you (reverse park & parallel park) - it's not available here on any model for some strange reason, though it was on Gen 3.

I didn't like the Electric Park Brake which was on at least one car I test drove.

3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ANOTHER GRIPE - Why does the CRUISE CONTROL wand go around with the steering wheel? - you reach to cancel it (or other operations), and unless the wheel is straight ahead, you have to go searching for the missing wand.

My last 2 Fords had the C/C controlled by buttons on the wheel which you could sense or see at a glance where they were. Additionally, after a month of using it, I don't find the controls as intuitive as the FORDs.

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Regarding the cruise control wand, I understand what you mean, but...you are supposed to keep the hands on your steering wheel at the 9:15 position at all times - and if you are in CC mode and the wheel is more turned than a few degrees, something weird is happening...if the hands are at 9:15, you can always grip the wand. Moreover CC is cancelled easily with a simple tip of the brakes.

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to agree (again) with the excessive cabin noise / road noise. It seems to come right through the doors and window glass. I try to ignore it; tell myself I can live with it; tell myself it's just a minor inconvenience; and just be happy I'm getting 60 mpg...

But man, it sure is irritating. A female friend of mine took me for a ride in her Ford F150. I couldn't believe her pickup is quieter than my Prius. Maybe because it sits up higher.

pakitt likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, usually when you use cruise control, you're going fairly straight. Like Pakitt said, if your steering wheel is turned more than a quarter turn, while using cruise, something isn't right.

If you need to cancel, a tap on the brake pedal cancels it.

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see what you're saying - but I just don't understand why it has to move??

The time I've noticed it particularly is my most commonly used exit ramp at 100km/hr - I keep up to speed till just as I'm turning off, there is a long ramp which I would normally just click C/C off - but the wand just isn't there as I'm steering off at the time. I don't want to touch the brakes as the brake lights will come on - something I like to avoid on Motorways as it disrupts traffic flows. Similarly with joining the traffic flow, often the wheel will be partly turned as I'm trying to tap RESUME.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it's the same for a steering wheel mounted cruise control system. (Those that are on the right-side spoke, opposite of the audio buttons on the steering wheel).

I see. In those scenarios, I would cancel CC just before I turn off. That 1-2km/h loss shouldn't affect the guy behind you.

When joining traffic flow, in that case, I would just hold onto the speed with the accelerator until I'm comfortably within the lane and traffic flow before hitting resume.

Here, the onramps are parallel to the highway and in most cases long enough, so merging into traffic requires less of a turn of the steering wheel. However, I see where the differences lie - Here, merging means the steering wheel turns left, so the CC stalk is "higher up", therefore, it's easier to reach. In your case, you merge to the right so the steering wheel turns to the right, so the CC stalk is "lower down" and harder to reach.

That is definitely interesting and something we don't consider for LHD vehicles.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Because you are supposed to keep the hands on the steering wheel at 09:15 also when you steer - letting the steering wheel slide in your hands is not safe as you can loose control in an emergency situation. (learnt that from a safe driving course from a professional drive from the local German automobile club ADAC).
    So the stalk is where the right hand can touch it, where it is expected the hand to be. This is also why all the buttons on the steering wheel are moving with it and don't stay in the middle. Because they are where the hands need to be the whole time. And again, if you are steering so much, ACC should be off in any case, IMHO.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seen this mentioned a few times now. With my Prius they gave me an abridged version of the manual, with the option to supply the full manual on request free-of-charge. I've read through it a few times and it seems to cover all the features, common maintenance, etc, and has all the diagrams and images you could hope for. Maybe this is something your dealer could provide?

pakitt likes this.
  11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Same here in Germany.
    Small version with the important stuff, the big one online via a link.

12. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I downloaded the online one a couple of months ago. I seem to remember it was about page 300 before it explained how to turn the car on. That's just insane.

I remembered another problem I have with my Prius - the inability to switch between MPH and KPH. This would be incredibly useful when I travel to the UK (MPH) from here (KPH). My dealer said this is standard on North American models but isn't even an option in the EU or UK, where the cars come hard-coded to the relevant unit. I can only imagine it's a legislation thing to prevent people from accidentally selecting the wrong unit, but c'mon, if you can't tell the difference between 100mph and 100kph, you shouldn't really be behind the whee

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In North America, you get the full manual (plus the navigation manual if you have navigation) so it's one thick book and one smaller book.

For 2016, our cars no longer come with a switch for km/h and mph so Canadian cars only display km/h and US cars only display mph. No idea why they decided to remove it. 80% of the population of Canada lives within 100km of the U.S. border. There's plenty of travel between the two countries.

Hoddie and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    According to the US Manual (pg. 140), you can switch between MPH and km/h in the settings display. It's not as convenient as the button I had on my Gen 2, but it is available..

Hoddie likes this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Changing the units from mph to kph is on the settings menu here in the uk.

Hoddie likes this.
  16. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, perhaps I need to see another dealer because clearly mine either lied or didn't bother checking about the UK situation! I'll have a look in settings next time I'm in the car. I hope it's there!

17. anothersomeotherguy

anothersomeotherguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2015 Prius (US) came with the same manuals but the original owner left a quick start guide (large, full size 3-4 pages folding, laminated) which explained the basics such as how to turn on/off, park, change gears.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's in our manual too. But ours has been modified with a sticker that says " *if equipped " (there's an asterisk in there if you can't see it). Scroll through the menu on your 4.2" MID. You won't find that page that the manual speaks of.

Yes, the 2004 to 2015 Prius (2nd and 3rd generation) had a simple button to change from kph to mph. The 2016 model hides it in the 4.2" MID menu but when you go to look, it's not there. The manual says "*if equipped". As far as we've determined on PriusChat, nobody in Canada or the US has it.

19. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The pathetic rear wiper and the sun visor doesn't extend - come on I paid 30 grand for this car.

Another little concern is how low the front end is - though I like the look but parking can be tricky.

20. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It wasn't much easier in the Gen 3 either. I had lots of little scratches on the underside of the front to prove that.

For my Gen 4, I have bought (but not yet installed) a parking sensor that uses low energy electromagnetic waves and is
    able to detect any kind of obstacle. The sensor is taped to the INSIDE of your front bumper (so no holes to drill) and then attached to a 12V source somewhere. There is a little speaker in the cabin that alerts you when you get too close to an object, such as a the edge of a low footpath. I will be wiser after I have installed and tested it!

krmcg likes this.