1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured What Drives Us Podcast - What Drives Us – One on One #2 – Death Of The Prius, Tesla, Volt...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This week Danny Cooper and Russell Frost take apart claims that the Toyota Prius is on its last legs and why that might be happening. In the process we dig into Tesla, Chevy’s Bolt and Volt as well as other EVs.

Read more about this episode on WhatDrives.Us

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll listen to the podcast later but the subject matches my experience:
    • Sold both Prius Gen-1 and Gen-3
    • Bought BMW i3-REx and Prius Prime Plus
    When we 'sold' our 03 Prius to the housekeeper, we had an empty space. So I test drove a 2016 and the only one with TSS-P was a 2016 Level Three. I tested the moonroof equipped car and it could not bust 100 MPG on my test loop that I knew the 2016 Level Two ECO would. Then the dealer offer it for $33k and then $28k that bound the price of a used, 2014 BMW i3-REx that had come off lease.

Now the first model year of the BMW i3-REx has the usual infantile problems and sure enough, it went back to the local dealership. Yet they would loan me something I learned to loath, a BMW Series 2. Then the motor mount bolt broke and I went back to driving our Prius Gen-3 that does not have TSS-P or anything like it. I realized a car without TSS-P or equivalent, I don't want it!

The 2017 Prius Prime Plus (the basic model) comes with TSS-P. But the Prime also significantly improved the control laws. Granted I don't have hands on with the Gen-4 but the Prius Prime has easily met and exceeded expectations. To the degree Prime control laws show up in the Gen-4 or Gen-4+, the unplugged Prius will remain competitive.

Even if every city of 50,000 or more had a fast DC charger, it would still be impractical to do cross country trips with 30 minute to 80% charge. I know, I drove 700 miles in a BMW i3-REx and have upfront and personal experience with a short range car. I can fix the BMW i3-REx gas range problem but EV range is limited by technology more complex than a fuel tank.

Now that I think about it, I probably should 'test drive' a Prius Level Two ECO. It is entirely possible that car already incorporates the control laws in the Prime. Spread them out to the complete hybrid line, Toyota will have a manufacturing problem . . . not enough capacity.

Bob Wilson

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The 2017 Prius v is 39/43 per the Toyota web site.

I drive mine in very mixed conditions (hot, cold, city, interstate) and one of the things I like is I get the mileage shown in my fuelly figures below which means it is pretty easy to get the EPA MPG because I don't drive it in an manner that is different than my prior CRV or Porsche. That 42 figure is the most typical average achieved for a v per fuelly.

The fuelly Rav4H most often achieved average is 33. That is a 27% difference between the 2 cars.

I'm mystified by your MPG figures cited on your podcast. You cite much less for the v and much more for the Rav4H. I'd figure with your eco-driving experience you'd get much more than mine which means you should best the EPA.