1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What 'easy on/off ' snow chains to buy for the PRIUS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ski.dive, Dec 23, 2013.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm looking to buy an EASY ON & OFF set of 'front wheels only' snow chains.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

`Thanks

2. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    I bought a pair of Autosocks three years ago. They have worked perfectly, it has not snowed wherever I am in all that time so they have given me full mobility.

My umbrella does the same, whenever I carry it it does not rain.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out the first install video....

Having said that == There is easy, and then there is what works well.

You want maximum safety, you will have to compromise on easy -- but only a bit.

There are lots of gadgets, spike spiders, socks, even spray-on stuff, but for real chains that really work, you will have to accept a bit of kneeling.

The best, very best are diamond chains -- that is a design, not a brand. The firms of Peerless, Security Chain and Quality Chain all sell them and there are probably a few more.

Diamonds will absolutely give you most stopping, starting and traction. And, they really don't take that much effort to mount. Try them in a warm garage to boost your confidence and make sure they fit.

A bit easier to mount, but you give up a bit of traction is the diagonal cable design. Easier to fit than the diamond chains and still pretty darn effective.

Here are links to videos on installation -- the first is more of a tongue-in-check vid, but it gets the idea across -- guys will love this vid.

The second vid is straightforward serious.

Diagonal cable install:

Diamond install:

I use chains every winter. Spent a week driving on them two weeks ago.

Takes longer to take off the diamonds than to put them on -- and putting them on only takes about four or five minutes each.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't Belong in modifications....

This topic is NOT a modification. I understand trying to organize and reduce clutter, but it fits best in main forum....