1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What electrical work did prior owner do?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by AandMev, Aug 30, 2022.

1. AandMev

AandMev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This 2017 Prius v Five was originally a fleet vehicle. Then it was owned by a private party. Now, I see that someone added an additional cigarette lighter-type power outlet. I wonder why they did that when it's so close to the factory one in the back... Also there is that electrical cord with a pigtail (correct term?). For trailer lights? Also there is a tow hitch. (The car dealer said the previous owner used the hitch for a bike rack.) I'm not sure who did what and if those things are related. Also there are 2 lights zip-tied on either side of the tow hitch. It all looks like fairly tidy work. Kinda gives me the impression that someone knew what they were doing, but what I want to know is what WERE they doing? o_O

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They wanted a 12v outlet that did not turn off with the car like the factory outlets do. Plus the diy can handle a lot of current depending on the fuse. Might of had an inverter.

AandMev likes this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I agree with the 12 volt outlet. Looks like they use it when tailgating at parties and they have lighting under the car for ambience. That's terrific. It did a good job using a fuse and all. They also have a battery tender connector for the car. Very convenient. It looks like they didn't leave the car running overnight but they had a battery tender plugged into a 12 volt outlet nearby. It all looks good.

I'll buy that tow hitch if you don't want it

AandMev likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've same battery tender connections on about 14 vehicles bikes n all of it.

5. AandMev

AandMev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for that. Could you tell me which specific battery tender you have?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have several one or two or European and came with my Italian scooters they're 12 volts I just can't remember the brand and they have a different kind of plug then the plug in your picture which is the universal standard for battery tending and then the most recent ones I have purchased. Is the Schumacher SP1297 which I like quite a bit it has a hanging hook it's all plastic not bad. And the other one is the EverStart Plus smart charger maintainer 3 amp model 6811A and then I've also been looking into or maybe we'll make up a multiple plug unit like if I could have a maximum of a 3 amp charger with the six ports on it for tending that would handle my needs eight maybe but six would get it.

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Those terminals match Schumacher which is sold at Walmart

AandMev likes this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The plug is generic, and can be purchased as an SAE type connector to ring terminal cord.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tending port the green n yellow label battery tender company . . You need to inspect other brands that you buy the positive may be backwards it does happen you want to make sure of that that your battery tender that you're using with the other end of that port matches up with the proper positive of the lead that you're installing on your battery I'm telling you this by experience so if you're not careful you can wind up with the positive on the wrong side and when you go to connect it all that happens is a fuse blows. If you get to this point you will notice just reversing the leads on the battery will fix it but then on this bad terminal you're positive will be your negative and vice versa so just be aware if you're buying an off-brand or something happens Yes there are white lines on one of the conductors and all that just have your meter ready and be able to check what you have going on when you do this.

AandMev likes this.