1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What else to do during EGR cleaning?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SB6, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you used a pressure washer yet:whistle:?

That's what I use and it does a great job getting the deposits out;).

And this can be done in 15 minutes :).

If in a time crunch, use this as an option(y).

SFO and SB6 like this.
  2. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, I'll borrow a friend's pressure washer tomorrow morning and give it a shot. What PSI have you had success with? Do you pressure wash just the EGR cooler, or do you pressure wash some of the other stuff too?

#22 SB6, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I usually just do the cooler with the pressure washer:).

But I'm not going for "eat or drink out of the parts" clean. Just clean enough as I know I'll be back doing the job again and it'll just get deposits again;).

1700 psi is what the pressure washer I have puts out. I secure the cooler with something like a metal lawn chair as 1700 psi will make a mark if it impacts a body part:oops:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The interior of the the intake manifold, in particular the large entrance passage for EGR, seemed kinda rough and unfinished, on mine.

Using oxi, separate the valve, just work on just the cooler. Use some kinda cork on one end. Mix the oxi as hot (say nothing but hot tap water, but not boiling from the kettle) and concentrated as possible, and let it sit in there about an hour. Then repeat. Mine, not bad to start with, took 5~6 cleanings thus to come clean. How clogged is it; can water flow through?

#24 Mendel Leisk, Jul 26, 2020
  5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SB6, from what I have seen and read in Priuschat, it takes several soaks and power washes to get out the gunk. Many even thought it was clean and decided on one last rinse and finding more brown and black gunk coming out.

6. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think I have anything to act as a cork, so I'm using the valve bolted on to the end of the cooler as a stopper. Is there any harm in doing this?

I think I do have blockages. Water runs through, but it's very obstructed. I see light on the other side of the cooler through one or two fins, if I take off the valve.

I picked up a pressure washer from a friend, but unfortunately it seems we both forgot the wand. I'm seeing if he has the wand attachment, but he hasn't replied yet. For now, I'm going to try again with hot OxiClean solutions.

#26 SB6, Jul 26, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the long stud that connects the cooler to the engine block important? The one at the end facing the front of the car. Looks like I snapped it? Must've been when I was removing it, but I only now noticed, as I was attempting to install the cooler back in. The stud won't screw in.

Here are some pics. Does that look broken to you guys?

EDIT: Nevermind... Seems to have screwed in now... The white at the end scared me and made me think I had snapped it though

#27 SB6, Jul 26, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #28 SB6, Jul 26, 2020
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nope:cool:.

The throttle body line has coolant, where the one you have circled handles vacuum;).

Watch the Nutz about bolts videos and you'll see the routing pattern(y).

Grit likes this.
  10. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I marked the wrong place on the cooler. These should be the pics I meant to post. The red dot I out on the cooler is meant to indicate the small pipe leading out, not the larger one going straight back.

11. NorCal PiP

NorCal PiP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    I have a complete JDM motor to toy with before it is installed in my car. I went to remove the egr cooler for cleaning and discovered exactly what a total PITA this nut/stud combo represents. I can not understand why this cooler is fastened to the engine so tightly with so many different bolt and nuts. Like insanely difficult to remove. I am always one to not question what the engineers do with the cars, but this amount of bolt overkill is absolutely baffling. My JDM motor is not getting those studs and bolts. I am not convinced that it will make any difference. Not weight bearing, no stress, no reason that makes any sense.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I leave the stud on there for alignment purposes;).

It helps when the cooler is in the engine bay and you have to balance putting the rear gasket on:).

But you seem like the type that once your kind is made up, nothing we say will change it. So good luck and keep us posted(y).

Grit and SFO like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the lower stud is off, can the two rear studs be installed on the cooler/valve assembly, and the rear gasket dropped onto the studs, before placing it back on the exhaust manifold connecting flange? It seems like having that lower stud off might allow that.

You could also put a couple of scraps of masking tape on the gasket , temporarily securing it during the install. I believe there's two projecting corners on the rear flange of cooler that stick out far enough that they're beyond the exhaust manifold flange, allows you to pull the tape off after.

14. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been a while since I followed up, but I did manage to get everything back together last time I posted. I don't see any trouble codes on Techstream, other than a U0155 Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module. Not sure what this is, as I haven't noticed any issues.

The car hasn't been driven much, but we have noticed that the ICE seems much smoother now, if that makes sense. Unfortunately, haven't noticed much improvement in mpg, although that could just be due to not driving it much in the last few weeks.

I would have liked to do a better job at cleaning, but unfortunately I wasn't able to do this time. I'm thinking to try again in a few months maybe. The EGR cooler removal/reinstall really puts me off though :(. When I do it again, I plan to install an oil catch can.

One thing I'm concerned about is that every time I have the car up on jacks and not turned on for a few weeks, there is very violent knocking from the engine on the first start up. I noticed this once before, when I was unable to finish working on the car for a whole month while it sat, and again this time when I took a few weeks to complete this "project." Any ideas? Seems concerning to me, and makes me think I should get rid of the car before any major engine issues show up. But then on the other hand, I really like the car, and I haven't noticed any oil or coolant consumption...

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once the OCC was put on mine, it hasn't knocked since after the EGR circuit cleanse and intake manifold cleaning. Like yours, mine has no oil consumption nor coolant going down at all. I think youre just a catch can away from nirvana. Sent an engine oil sample of mine to blackstone and came back with no traces of water nor coolant in the engine oil after 11,000 miles so the catch can continues to pay off for sure. That's something you definitely want to get to soon as you can.

SB6 likes this.
  16. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually have the oil catch can, but I still need to figure out the hoses and all... Since (according to the NutzAboutBolts video) I will have to go find a hose, cut it to length myself, and figure it the adapters/connectors, I felt I would need more time to figure it out. That's why I haven't done the installation yet...

Is there any reason I can't install it whenever? Or does it need to be right after an EGR clean?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It can also leave more than a mark: public service announcement, if you've felt a bite from a high-pressure fluid, do not delay medical attention.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You definitely want to take your time on the OCC install, there are couple of options to go with an OCC install. I bought fuel line from an auto part store, avoid using the braided hose that comes with most catch can as they will flatten up as pressure leaves, or the hose collapses. There are guides here on PC that has adapter couplers that connects to the "elbow" hose on both ends that 9is splice-able with couplers to run the fuel lines to the catch can. It doesn't have to be right after an EGR cleaning, a PC member that goes by the alias of RMB installed a catch can without cleaning the EGR but his car was low in miles. But it's preferred to installed the OCC right after EGR circuit cleanse & cleaning of the intake manifold.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A simple hose method is to cut orig hose at middle, push on two 3/8" barb splice conectors, then run 3/8" fuel line to the Can.

You can purchase replacement OEM PCV hose from dealership for about $10, if you ever want to restore to stock.

I've found hose clamps are overkill with barb connectors; don't bother with them anymore.