1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What engine can I put in my prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Allison Meggison, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Allison Meggison

Allison Meggison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius and it has about 243k miles. I want to get a used engine but I'm not sure what my options are, right now I just have a 1.8L little 4 cylinder. Do I have to get the exact same match?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, you don’t, but it would probably be easier/cheaper to install an engine of like kind to yours.

You can get quotes to compare. Some may not be interested in installing something substantially different though...

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Staying with the same Generation engine would be your most reasonable path. Different engines require different ECUs and supporting systems. Everything from your transaxle, fuel pump, exhaust system, electronics, hybrid system, bolt patterns, etc is designed to work with the 1.8 Gen 3 currently in the car. Nowadays, especially in a hybrid, it's more of a complete system, rather than just an engine. It would be cheaper to buy another car than to try to use a different engine family (size) in yours. I would stick with the Gen 3 engine.

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The exception being another 1.8 but from a newer Prius

There are guides to retrofit one in

5. Allison Meggison

Allison Meggison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh thank you !! I installed a new water pump today, I'm saving for the engine still but now my car is riding weird and making a squeaky nose when I'm not hitting the brakes. It did have a squeaky noise coming from it before I took the wheel off yesterday to inspect the coolant leak; we replaced the water pump today because of the code popping a couple days ago. Now she rides really rough, it feels like a flat tire almost but not quite as drastic plus the squeaking when I'm not hitting the brakes at low speeds.