1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mymimi

mymimi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how do i read lifetime gallons, i have 2009 prius standard

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep all of your gas receipts. :D

3. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to Gasbuddy dot com and keep a log of your fill ups.

4. mymimi

mymimi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

so all the ppl who know there lifetime mpg do this. i thought they read it off the pruis.

5. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, I probably should have kept quiet. I'm still on my habits with my other cars.

6. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You cannot track gallons used, but you can track lifetime mpg on the multifunction display if you do not reset the display each time you fill up. The number of miles traveled will automatically reset at each fill up, but the mpg will be a cumulative total unless you manually press reset.

Be warned: it is easy to push the reset button by mistake, and then you will have lost that data.

7. olive grn

olive grn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought one of the last 2009's in my area. I've driven over 150 miles and the "pips" have yet to move. Is this normal? Seems like I've used about 3 gallons because I'm averaging 50 mpg- love the car though, has changed my driving style for the better.

8. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lots of variation in what people get on the first pip - from driver to driver and fill up to fill up. My guess is once the first pip disappears, the others will go more quickly. The gas gauge is fondly(?) referred to here as a "guess gauge."

On a brighter note, looks like your dealer gave you a good fill up for your first tank!

1 person likes this.
  9. stefcat

stefcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi allI am new to chat but own 2007 prius... love it.. I also sale toyota.. we just got the first 2010 prius in... oh my god it is fine.... :rockon:blizzard white package three.She is sold..once you get a prius you are addict..I love it when customers come in who own oneand we can talk mile ect.. thank stefcat:)

10. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome :welcome:
    You'll really enjoy reading on this site. There's lots of solid info from some real pros as well as just interested owners like me.
    Yes, sharing Prius Chat (Talk) is fun. :cheer2:

11. tash

tash New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    me. :) I have add and will forget to fill up (read: get distracted and drive somewhere other then gas station). Fortuantly I have a wonderful husband who will fill it up if he notices it close to 1/2 :)

12. susanerl

susanerl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know! I never let it get below 2 pips because I'm nervous, now I'm glad!

13. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how does it hurt the system by topping it off?

14. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Overflow may go into your carbon filter ruining it, increasing polution, and costing $ to repair/replace.
    There's no need to force feed a Prius since you're already getting great MPG and MPtank. Just make a regular practice of refilling around 4 pips and know you're saving lots of $ with a great car. :)

15. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I feel ya, Bootsy!

16. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW that CleanMPG article was just as clear as MUD!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Now I understand way less than I thought I did about "Pulse and Glide." Thanx!

17. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just drive the car for awhile. Get a feel for it. Then come back and read the article again in a couple of months.

IMO, getting the highest mileage is a function of how committed you are to it. Me, not so much. Some others get fantastic mileage because they constantly work on it. Its up to you.

18. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a prius. My tires only seemed to last me 16,000 miles. I tried the nokian wrg2's and they are amazing. I am on my second set which i got 52,000 miles out of, unlike the integrity's that came oe. They work really well for colorado. They are a snow tire too with a 50k rating. They're enviromentally friendlly too. The only problem is they were $750 for the set. I'm new to this site and figured i'd ask around to see if anybody has had the same success with a cheaper tire. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

19. RMulligan

RMulligan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The salesperson also told me about the break-in period. She said not to set the cruise control to 75 MPH and leave it on. I took that to mean driving for extended periods of time at a constant speed will affect how well the piston rings are set in the cylinders. So when I drove my Prius off the lot I went to Disneyland to celebrate. I just varied the speed every now and then while on the freeways. BTW - The Owners Manual says the break in period is 600 miles. I hope this helps.

20. RMulligan

RMulligan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota must have been listening to their customers. Distance to empty is now included in the odometer display for the 2010 model. The salesperson cautioned not to rely on it as an exact measurement. The two biggest variables are the MPG and the G. Between the two, G is harder to measure. I hope this helps.