1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK I'll bite: what is a "spark plug anti-fouler" and how does it relate to a failed CAT ??

Sometimes a CAT will burn up and then pieces will come loose inside and plug up later.

I've heard that muffler shops can provide CATs that meet minimum requirements for about $200.....installed, I think.

2. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YES!! One of the first Amazon shipments I got in for stuff for mine was the Heat shield. VERY good at blocking the sun from the front windshield. I like the little side flaps that cover the 2 small side windows by the mirrors. And the white interior side is nice. I roll mine up with the white side showing; don't get blinded by the reflective side of the Heat shield. Pricy but worth it since it's a great fit and cut down on interior temperature quite a bit.

srellim234 likes this.
  3. stpeterick

stpeterick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Link to the Amazon product please.

4. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Prius Prius V 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Heatshield Sunshade | eBay
    Looks like it was Ebay, not Amazon. Been getting aftermarket parts from both; and a few other sources recommended here on PriusChat. Can't go wrong with this. I've noticed a big changed in temp. when I go out to the car when it's been sitting all morning. No carport or garage so this is a BIG help with the heat.

5. WVPriusCZ2

WVPriusCZ2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a good noob question, this may have been addressed however I failed to read the whole thread.

What is the best way to utlize the engine brake? Should I be shifting my C into B mode to slow down from high speeds, low speeds, downhill, or just when coming to a complete stop?

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I understand it, B is only really meant to impose engine braking on long downhill runs where your speed would run away without it.

For example, if I'm on cruise control and am going downhill, the Prius will use regenerative braking to keep the speed controlled. I've yet to see what happens if the battery is maxed, but if such a situation would cancel all regenerative braking, I'd be forced to either use the brakes manually or go to B to prevent needless wear on the brake pads.

Any regenerative braking you get from "coasting" is cancelled if the battery is maxed (IIRC), and regenerative braking from non-cruise control coasting is not all that much to start with as it's intended to recapture energy without needlessly slowing you down.

WVPriusCZ2 likes this.
  7. USArmy31B30AntiHybrid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome!!! This is my first post and I hope, after I armed myself with the wealth of knowledge in this forum, I would finally venture into the DARK SIDE and purchase a Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) and become a proud "HYBRIDITES":D

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought my first ever Prius c Four....just filled up the gas tank....$20.00...Calif prices.....love the little car..so zippy and quick...have had no trouble giving it the gas when needed....hope you enjoy your Prius v

Rizzy Aqua likes this.
  9. PriusBandi

PriusBandi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the good info!

10. Squeakasaur

Squeakasaur Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I also just bought a C 4 :D Much slower than my last car ( Escape Titanium with turbo ) but still not bad. I have always been kinda anti-prius but I have just vowed to drive it like its not one :p

11. tommytrant20

tommytrant20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think you need to check the label to record and safer

12. Soybeanmike

Soybeanmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi all- new reader and user. Great tips. Wish I knew about not jumping others with Prius :/. Hope it didnt affect my 07 Prius..it just wont start! Reading up how to fix or address. I'm not technical :)

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try a different 12v battery or charge the one you have.

It's probably ok to jump some cars directly from the battery while the Prius is off. You just don't want to strain the DC / DC converter by turning the Prius on.

14. Najeeb

Najeeb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hello everyone,

New member here. Is there anything I should note that would make driving the Prius different from a typical ICE vehicle (e.g. regen braking)?
    Should be getting my Prius very soon; upgrading from a Corolla.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius does not recharge the big Battery in N, you want to avoid N if at all possible. (If you find that the brakes get rusty, doing a high speed stop in N can clear the rust)
    You want to shift to B at the top of long steep downhills, otherwise you can ignore B.
    Long slow gentle braking will yield better MPGs than panic braking.
    EV mode is mostly a gimmick, it does have uses in a parking lot so that the engine never starts.
    ECO, PWR and normal mode are 'user interface' changes and do not change the engine capability. (ECO does 'tone down' A/C activity)

Drive it normally for several tankfuls, do not worry about MPG.

If you have not purchased a prius yet and are purchasing new, read the Customization chapter and request your preferences BEFORE you buy. The sales man will get the Service Department to make the customization. http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47A29U/pdf/OM47A29U.pdf page 752

#695 JimboPalmer, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  16. Najeeb

Najeeb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the response JimboPalmer.
    In case you're wondering, it's a used Gen 3 with Technology Package :) ), so no need to worry about customization.

It's good to know that I don't have to worry about braking any differently than any other car. Since it has the regen system, I thought I would have had to press on the brake pedal later, and with more force. Guess it's not needed.

As for fuel economy, I'll only be able to get a clear picture once I start driving it more regularly. Currently the figures are quite dismal, but that's with a) short drives in the neighborhood, b) the AC running full blast, and c) spirited driving. Hope to see those 50mpg figures with some practice.

As for my initial impressions after two days, here's what I have to say:

1. Who even needs to think about keys with the smart key system? You don't need to worry about unlocking the car even; and it's got the engine start/stop button, of course. Leave them and forget them until you leave the car.

2. Since mine has the solar roof package, I must say it's very useful. I often come back to the car to find it whirring away and cooling the car while it's off.

3. Toyota has made parking somewhat more confusing without the park mode on the joystick/gear shifter. From my understanding, it appears that you just have to depress the foot operated handbrake and press power. Looks like the P button on the dash is unnecessary as the car enables the parking pawl automatically.
    On the flip side, I have ATP with Intelligent Park Assist, so hey, at least the car can steer itself into the parking spot :) .

4. I would have thought the suspension would be more absorbent. Not so. I'm quite surprised to say that my old (2009) Corolla's suspension is far softer. Besides to target a younger audience, is there any other reason Toyota might have done this?

5. The 6 disk changer system is really cool, period. The best part is, my navi screen comes out to expose it.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Long gentle braking is better, as the amount of energy that can be absorbed by the battery is limited. Most of hard braking will just be heat, not electricity.

18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I occasionally use the park button when I jump out to check the mail. It also comes in handy when there is a long wait, such as the other day when a crash on I-5 south in Portland had me stopped for 2 hours. Leaving the car on but parked was handy, as it was 97 degrees outside and I could run the AC from the battery.

eye144 likes this.
  19. Justin Ortega

Justin Ortega New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently bought a used 2004 Prius. It's in good condition. I was driving it last night and noticed that the lights on the steering wheel for the audio and climate control switches weren't lit. Also, the lights on the "POWER" switch, headlight and turn signal switches, wiper and washer switches, electronic shift lever (R, N, D, B), "P" switch, cruise control, Km/h or MPH button, trip meter reset button, emergency flasher switch, the hazard switch, smart entry and start cancel system switch, car audio, and power door switches weren't lit as well. I turned the instrument panel light control dial switch all the way up too and still nothing is lit. The good thing is the dashboard lights up and displays great. The clock works fine as well. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? If so, is there any fuse connected that can be located to fix these luminous problems? Would greatly appreciate the help!

20. XiaoBai

XiaoBai New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there a personality that just has to push the gas to it's limits?

I had a co-worker who constantly ran on the edge with a gas can in the back of his wagon, just in case. I would see his wife driving south and I knew he ran out of gas, again, on a Mail route. The same route he drove every day for years. Got me?