1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to Prius Chat. Could that be a low washer fluid level warning light?

2. Jamie Hart

Jamie Hart New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    #5 I had to learn the hard way lol.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You ran out of fuel? :censored:

4. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, I am new to the Prius world. The first time I drove after purchasing, I left the car on (unintentionally) as the cabin was very quiet and I believe I left the doors locked. I came back after 4 hours and the door opened (as I have the key fob in my pocket). However, to my shock, I noticed that the radio was on and the car is in ready state. Since then, I have been careful enough to shut down the car before getting away. My questions are

1) Whether what I did would have caused any damage to the car. I am ok with the potential loss of fuel caused by the incident.
    2) Are there any tricks to make sure that I don't do this again (other than merely being careful and remembering to do so).

I guess the car makes some sort of noise if you leave it on and walk away from it. But, I guess I did not recognize it.

I expect this to be a standard issue with newbies and so I expect this question to be asked before and well known solutions possibly exist. If so, please point me to the solution.

Tamaruni and Danny3xd like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No damage done.
    My car beeps 3 times whenever I exit with it running. That is the default but may be customizable.

RCO and Danny3xd like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it's actually pretty cool that that can happen, although, maybe the beep should be a little more insistent. ;)

Some people suggest always locking the car when you step away from it. It won't let you lock it if it's on.

As for the fuel loss: 4 hours sitting might have burned about 1/4 cup of gas. More or less depending on how hot it was outside and if the air conditioner was running. Lots of people camp in the Prius and run the air conditioner all night.

RCO and Danny3xd like this.
  7. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LoL, on my second Prius and I do that at least once a week. Not over night, yet.

But give me time.....

8. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe I was able to lock my car even though it was running. Are you sure, it does not let you lock the car when it is on.
    I think I locked it by pressing the powerlock button on the inside of driver side door as opposed to touching the three lines on the outside of the door handle.

Now, I am even more worried. This is because if you are right, not only did I leave the engine on, but left the car also unlocked. So, someone could have got in drove away. Is that right?

9. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They could have drove away, however, when they shut it off, they won't be able to restart it without the fob...

RCO likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just went out and checked. I put it in ready. When I opened the door, it beeped. When I got out and closed it, it beeped some more. When I tried to lock it, it beeped some more and would not lock.

But yours is a Gen 4, so you should verify that. It only takes a few seconds. I would do it with a warmed up engine on a non-Prime or non-PiP, though.

And, as @wb9tyj said, they could have driven away, but would not have been able to restart it once they shut it off. That's way better (less bad?) than a non-keyless car where, if you leave it running, the thief has the key.

RCO likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my 2017 I tried locking the door using the inside button with the car in READY. It automatically unlocked the door when I released the button. The engine was not warmed up though.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason I suggested it be warmed up is that, on a non plug-in, if you put it in ready the ICE will start up cold and then you'll be shutting it down right away. Not good for earlier generations. I haven't heard if it matters with the new ones.

Oh, and I did not try using the inside lock, since I don't think I've ever had reason to touch it. It locks and unlocks automatically just when I want it to when I'm inside.

Tamaruni likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was trying to replicate what the OP thought they did. Whenever I occasionally exit my car with the fob and the car in READY the car beeps 3 times. I do it intentionally at time for some drive up banking, when dumping trash, etc.

Occasionally when getting into the car I get a warning that the key has been detected in the car. o_O:rolleyes:
    I just proceed to use the car normally and it figures things out.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  14. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it does beep three times. But, since I am not used to it and since it is not too much of an alarming beep, I did not recognize it when it happened the first time.

As for locking the car, most probably I must have touched the powerlock button on the inside and assumed that it got locked. I did not do the check as to whether it got locked.

So, is the consensus that there is no trick to make sure that you do shut it off, other than either being careful yourself or listening to the beep which reminds you. I think it is alright, I just have to get used to it. While I left it on and walked away only once, I was about to do it few times later on, but remembered either myself or through the beep.

Tamaruni likes this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gopal, are you parking in a garage? I have my v set to turn off the headlights when I power down the car, so if the headlights are still on, I did not turn it off. I also lock my car on the inside armrest, if it immediately unlocks, it is still on. I use the 3 beeps as my third line of defense.

If you park outside, you may want more or less delay in the headlights.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47B89U/pdf/OM47B89U.pdf

page 776 discusses the headlight auto off feature

#775 JimboPalmer, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Go-Green-Pal likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also set mine to shut off right away. I did not want to trust them "automatically" turning off.

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know what you mean. I've replaced lots of sticky relays. ;)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, I don't have a garage in my house. I have a private driveway in front of my home where I park.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You may want the 30 second delay, if you park farther away, you might want 60 or 90 seconds.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

You can post any questions in the Gen 2 forums which you will find here: Gen 2 (2004-2009) Toyota Prius Forums.

From here click on a forum that most closely aligns with your question, then use the Post New Thread button near the top on the right. You may need 5-10 posts on your account before you see the button.
    No, the consensus is lock the car using the handle sensor/button on the outside of the car. If it won't lock, or beeps at you, investigate why.
    Yes, as second line of defence, intentionally listen for the absence of 3 beeps as you step away from the car. This confirms the car is off.

#780 dolj, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    RCO and jerrymildred like this.