1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only time I take it out of auto mode is when I’m doing something while in the garage: using an air compressor to check tire pressure or fiddling with settings. It does a fine job including directing air through the appropriate ports for maximum comfort.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, here's a good video on some driving methods that help. It's for the Gen 3, so the dash indicators are different, but the ideas are the same. Max MPG Driving Techniques Youtube Video | PriusChat

Go-Green-Pal likes this.
  3. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jerrymildred, are you actually averaging 86 mpg in your prius or is that the average over a short trip of 20 miles or something like that. I picked it up from the picture in your signature.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do not forget Jerry has a plugin Prius that can get close to 11 miles from an electrical charge, That helps reduce fuel fill-ups and raise the apparent mpg.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What @Prodigyplace said. ;) Actually, a big trip to Ohio last year pulled that average down a LOT. I typically get well over 100 mg on each tank. But I had 7 tanks on that trip that only averaged 50 mog thanks to high speeds, headwinds, rain, heavy load, and sub-freezing temperatures.

So far, this tank, I'm right at 60% EV mode and showing 145 mpg after 396 miles. I'm sure @bisco is putting me to shame, though. LOL! But, as I say in the first line under that stat in my sig line, Fuelly won't let plug in owners calculate electricity. On my last tank, I got 51.52 mpg in HV mode. That average gets forced down because so many of my trips just barely use up the battery and I don't get to go far enough on gas to pay the warm-up penalty. If I drive longer trips around town, like 40 miles or so, I get over 60 mpg in HV.

Including the electricity I had to pay for, my last tank was 2.89 cents per mile.

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only way to get real mpg on the plug in is at the pump. and prime has complicated matters by counting only miles with engine on as hv.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, I didn't know that. I am now relieved as there is no point in comparing with his figures.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Today, I took my first highway trip in my new Prius. I drove around 200 miles and got 50.4 mpg on highway driving. This matches with the advertised figure of 50 (actually slightly better) and so I am happy with it.

Forgetting the mpg aspect, I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic cruise control and the automatic lights (it switches from high beam to low beam and conversely as needed) feature. I never had them before. Also, I am enjoying the BSM and the lane departure alert. The amount of safety features it has is unbelievable, especially considering that nothing was added on by me as an extra package.

But, the sonar sensor alarms me (when parking or pulling out etc) saying I am about to hit some other car when I actually know that I can make it. Not sure whether it has sensitivity that can be adjusted.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Customization section of the user manual lists anything that can be customized. I think it is under Specifications near the end of the manual. Use the table of contents to locate.

Go-Green-Pal likes this.
  10. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read the following even though it is neither about Prius in particular nor about Toyota in general. Apparently, Ford Trucks are rolling by themselves when parked without using parking brakes. They have recalled 350,000 trucks so far. The issue of whether one regularly uses the parking brake or not may be crucial for these folks if not for us.

Ford Recalls Nearly 350,000 F-Series Trucks That May Roll Away When Parked

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes!! First the steering wheels come off (Ford recall: Here are the models affected ) and then, the trucks roll away? Makes me want to run right out and get one.

Ford is really on a roll right now!!

What's so interesting is that back in the early 90's when "Continuous Pursuit of Excellence" (CPE) was being popularized, Ford was getting kudos for allowing assembly line operators to stop the line to fix problems on the spot rather than slapping it together any old way and waiting for the vehicle to be finished and then repairing it. It appears that they have abandoned that kind of thinking and gone back to the practices that almost put America out of the car making business.

RCO likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    upload_2018-4-8_18-17-51.jpeg

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another newbie question. I have refueled only once so far. It did not ask me to enter the gas price. However, I notice that there is some place to put it in, so that it can calculate the gas cost for a trip etc. How to enter the gas price? does it ask when you refuel?

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine asks briefly after powering on but it quickly disappears.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can enter the price via the MID screen using the cursor buttons on the steering wheel. IMHO, it's not worth the bother and can be done easier with pen and paper. Of course or gas prices vary considerably from one place to another, so the rate goes up and down quicker than a fiddler's elbow.

Go-Green-Pal and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess that's a thoughtful feature. Didn't know they had them. Still, I'd rather use a phone app for that. It's gotta be way easier and then you also have it with you if you want to reference it.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An even more basic Newbie question. I have seen the video giving driving tips for getting good mileage and similar advice in written form as well.

But, can someone tell me that when I should be using the four different driving modes available (viz., Eco mode, Normal mode, Power mode and EV mode). I have do some intuitive guesses, but I thought better to ask from people who are used to it.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drive in Eco Normal or PWR mode to your preference. I use Normal mode becaus the Radar Cruiseis too sluggish in Eco mode and I thin PWR mode is too aggressive. I run my Climate Control in Eco mode though most of the time.
    On a non-plugin Prius, EV mode is only used when you are moving the car short distances and do not want the Engine to start its warmup cycle. It is only available under certain conditions. I find EV mode only works up to about 20 mph.

From the 2017 manual:

upload_2018-4-14_19-55-41.png

RCO and Canessnake like this.
  19. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is my intuitive thinking. Don't know whether it is good or not. Still did not have much time to gather all the knowledge I need. However, once summer begins, I will have more time and will be able to catch up.

1. Use Eco mode when driving in the city and the max speed limit is 45 or less.
    2. Use Power mode when merging on to highways or while driving in multilane highways with heavy traffic.
    3. Use Normal mode after you have entered the highway and the highway is having light or fair traffic.
    4. Use EV mode if driving less than 5 miles in total and at a speed of less than 30 mph.

Can some one tell me whether my intuition is correct? Also, if advice on this topic is available in the manual can someone point out the page number, if possible.

p.s. So far, I have never used EV mode. Once I tried and it said my battery does not have enough charge and so it cannot put the car in EV mode. But, I did not hear any buzzer sounding.

#819 Go-Green-Pal, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Canessnake likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The differences among Eco, Normal and Power are mainly accelerator pedal mapping. Mashing the pedal in all modes gives the same acceleration.
    I do not think you can get 5 miles in EV mode. Likely 0.5 or less.

From 2017 manual

upload_2018-4-15_7-39-12.png

#820 Prodigyplace, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018