What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Indeed, blessed are they that are well prepared!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted in this thread that one day (in the first few days after buying the car), I left the car with the engine running and returned after four hours to discover what had happened. I left it running in a public parking lot (yes, someone could have stolen my car).

Apparently people could die of CO2 poisoning if they leave it running in their own garage . So, newbies make sure you get used to the keyless entry system; it could be a matter of life and death.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Theoretically, yes - however, they might need to be very patient before succumbing to CO or CO2 toxicity. I don't think many of us sit in our garages with an ICE running without first considering the potential outcome. Warning: this is not something I would ever recommend!!!!!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not about staying in garages. These folks who died obviously did not sit around in the garage. But, they went inside their houses. But, with garage door being shut, the CO2 must have gotten into their houses.

Your second sentence seems to imply that they were aware that their car was running. The problem is that they did it unintentionally and therefore there is no question of considering the potential outcome.

Anyway, it is easy for us to laugh as we are now sure that we will not do that kind of stupid mistake. But, for an elderly person who is not used to keyless entry cars, it is a serious issue especially if the fatality strikes on their first time doing this stupid thing (before they got an opportunity to learn).

#844 Go-Green-Pal, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, that's me! Have read that this is a problem in some parts of the developed world, mainly New York. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.