1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Jason Whitehorn

Jason Whitehorn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to post here. Brand new. As a noob...do I lack the ability to start a new thread?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. Just go to the forum where you want to start the new thread and click the "Post New Thread" button near the top right. There will be a delay of up to several hours before you see it because the first few posts by new members need to be moderated. This is because we were recently almost buried by a spammer. And welcome to PC!

SFO likes this.
  3. Jason Whitehorn

Jason Whitehorn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks. it seems it WAS the case, however. Until I commented on a post...and that comment was approved, I wasn't allowed to make a post.

4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's never been the case before that I know of. @Tideland Prius can tell us when he gets a chance.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. I don’t know. I’ve gone through the “awaiting moderation” list with multiple new posts from a new user before. It could be that they were all from the same thread? But I have seen multiple posts from a new user before waiting in the queue.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Taiyoko

Taiyoko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm considering buying a used Prius, and I've seen stuff online that they're supposed to be really reliable and such...but my sister claims that her mechanic boyfriend's shop won't work on a prius because they require 2 years of training. I thought that didn't sound right so I'd ask some place with experience in ownership if I'm really gonna pay out the nose for anything more complicated than an oil change or brake pads.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. Tell your sister's boyfriend that many of us here work on our own Prii ... on those rare occasions when they need work. ;) Regular maintenance is almost the same as in other cars except not as much of it.

That said, they have some differences, but I think they are pretty easy to read about and there aren't any secrets that require going to a Toyota school -- not that the school wouldn't help. And some of the repairs can get expensive, but are still comparable to the nearly inevitable automatic transmission repairs in other cars. There are also lots of hybrid specialty shops that charge less than Toyota dealerships. Many of them, because they specialize in hybrids, are at least as competent as the dealer shops. I recently had the air conditioner compressor replaced with a used one in my 2013 for $300, parts and labor.

parnami likes this.
  8. Taiyoko

Taiyoko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'd figured that since I'd seen YouTube videos on how to replace your battery pack yourself that surely it couldn't be that much of a deathtrap to try to diy so long as you appropriately disconnected the hv battery before working on anything electrical. I've not been much for wrenching on my own cars, but it's probably time I learned anyway, since I won't be able to get my dad to do it for me forever. :LOL:

#888 Taiyoko, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to separate maintenance and repair. Any mechanic will be at home doing maintenance on a Prius. Very little is at all different, and with the exception of Brake work where you need to bleed the brakes, it is also easier. (Body shop work, like maintenance, can be done at any shop)

I would want a trained mechanic for repair. Much of the repair work will be unique to the Prius. Interpreting codes and diagnosing the underlying failure will be key to correct repair. That said, I have not needed repair.

jerrymildred and parnami like this.
  10. iiisee

iiisee New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just bought a 2019 Prime Plus yesterday (Titanium Glow, no options) and super glad I found this chat site before I negotiated my deal to take advantage of the July rebate. If anyone in the SF Bay Area is one the fence on this the last day, I had a good experience and got a good deal at Stevens Creek Toyota. My sales guy Matt Behbood, who was low pressure and very knowledgeable and professional. Look forward to learning the ins and outs of this cool car.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome and congratulations. You'll really benefit from some time perusing the manual. I downloaded the pdf version from Toyota so it's easier to look up stuff plus I then have it on both computers, the phone, and the tablet. And there's a ton of good reading in the stickies here on PC.

12. iiisee

iiisee New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, Jerry. That’s great advice and I’ll download the pdf, also.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. MarVel

MarVel New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can get an inverter. To plug in. I certainly would Never use a direct connection, because it shoots energy (for lack of better words) intermittently to the phone, which is bad for your phone. (Mine was an Iphone). So I installed an inverter that also has a usb plug, that has surge protection.

14. MG1968

MG1968 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a 2013 V Five today. It's from the original owner. She kept religious service records. Serviced every 5000 miles. I'm new to the hybrid lifestyle. Heck, this is my first Toyota, period.
    There is something I'm a little confused about. My car is a V 5 (the integrated fog/driving lights were standard and not an option on the 2 and 3), but my car has the 16" wheels, and I thought 17's were standard on the 5. The original owner sprang for leather seats, but no other options. Regardless, at just over 101,000 miles, it's in excellent condition and I snagged it for $9000.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    17 " wheels (and tires) are standard on a Five, but you could swap them for 16" wheels to get better MPG. Some previous owner may have done so. 16 " tires will also be cheaper when you need new tires.

16. MG1968

MG1968 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    As it turns out, the seller included the original window sticker along with all of the maintenance documentation. I have a 2, not a 5. So the 16" wheels are standard. Two wheel covers are missing, and following the advice of posters in other threads, I'm going to ditch them in favor of a set of genuine Toyota 62mm center caps ordered off of eBay.

The one thing I'm kind of miffed about is that when she chose to add leather seats (for $1600), she didn't get a power driver seat, it's just a 4 way manually adjustable seat. It's not anywhere close to being as comfortable as the driver seat in my 2017 Nissan Altima.

I'm going to look into improving the audio system, too.

17. mjvincent

mjvincent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a legitimate shortcoming of the prius or a problem with this specific car? Do the plugins in the prius not charge cell phones? I rented a couple last year and I thought I could charge my phone

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the Gen 4 the USB is designed for USB stick audio or perhaps light charging. The Prius has a Qi charger on some trim levels.

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't say for sure, but I'd assume the regular Gen 4 is like the Prime and my Prime charges my iPhone 8+ just fine with USB. As for the Qi charger, it won't reach through a case that's think enough to actually protect the phone nor will that kind of case on one of the Plus phones fit down flat into the Qi charger.

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is. My Trim 2 does not have the charger but seems OK on my iPhone. I remember some complaints from others though. I think some Android phones want a higher charging current than the car is designed to provide. The manual does not say you can use it as a charge port.

jerrymildred likes this.