1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What factors affect engagement of EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davidls, Mar 19, 2015.

1. daniel boro

daniel boro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have a part wer i have a sharp left turn fallowed by a down hill drop (nearly allwes i end it at 8 bars)
    i turn on EV mode after the turn so wen i get to the drop thers room in the batter for all the power from the drop

unless the Prius computer uses position and diraction to know wat is the best SOC at the moment ther are times wen the driver knowes best

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The computer "knows" that 100% of the power used to propel the car comes from burning gas in the internal combustion engine.

It therefore "knows" that any substantial gains you have when going downhill will eventually be offset up when going back up the hill again later.

I prefer to concentrate on driving safely and not obsessing over trying to squeeze out the last tenth of a mile out of a gallon of gas........and prefer that drivers around me do that too.

While it looks really good on the display in the short term, in the long run it really doesn't make much difference.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can manage a wack electric-only propulsion without ever touching the EV button. Without even trying the car will put you in it, frequently. With a little effort you can up that frequency, even to the point of running the battery down, if you care to. That's more than enough for me.