1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What feature do you wish your Prius had?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by norbert, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

My last car had a feature I liked .. If you gave a quick up or down on the turn signal stalk, the right or left turn signal would blink three times (nice for lane changes).

Also, I wish I had either a telescoping steering wheel or longer arms.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't need a heated seat because I wear warm clothes in cold weather. But I'd really love a heated steering wheel!!!

The car needs a single button press for outside air circulation without heating or cooling.

Sun visors that can actually block the sun, no matter where it is.

Curb feelers.

Backup camera. (Costal Dave is working on it, but it would be nice if he'd put out a monthly update on his progress.)

More batteries for longer/faster EV mode. (It will routinely stay in golf-cart mode up to 42 mph, but pops out of EV mode at 33/34 mph.) I'm really hoping the next major model revision will have this, even if it's an extra-cost option.

THE ABILITY TO GO INTO S4 WITHOUT HAVING TO COME TO A 10-SECOND STOP FIRST!!! This should be governed by system temperature alone. The stop should not be required. I sometimes make my entire commute without ever getting into S4 because I hit the (few) lights just right.

However, the biggest shortcoming of the U.S. version was the lack of an EV button, and I solved that with Costal Dave's EV switch, so I'm pretty happy.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry for the ones that are repeats, but Toyota might be monitoring and counting:

1) CD changer that can play MP3 and WMA files

2) Ability to change (or turn off) the MFD beeps

3) Integrated XM radio with traffic updates on the NAV screen

4) 12v outlet in the hatch area

5) Lighted cupholders

6) Lighted upper glovebox

7) Headlights that can be set to stay on for a minute after the door is opened

8) More detailed gauges (like engine temp) on the MFD

9) Consolidated Energy Monitor/Consumption screen with regenerative/friction braking indicator

10) Better lumbar support (preferably adjustable) on the front seats

11) Ability to upload/download calendar and maintenance notes to a laptop or PDA via bluetooth

12) Ability to set my own "dealer adjustable options" on the MFD (with a factory default reset button)

4. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once you've had them, you never want to go back..... 8)

I also should add to my list:
    DRL
    Leather
    Memory option requires 6-way seat and mirrors

However, like we all seem to agree, there's darn little that's needed with the Prius, just a bunch of "nice to haves." :mrgreen:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, my wife's minivan has one in the very back and it's quite convenient when needed. It would be great if there was a standard 120v AC outlet back there too (could be set to work only when the car is in READY) mode.

Add to the list...built in solar panel to keep the little 12v accessory battery charged.

6. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, that would be great for tailgate parties. No need for a grill, just plug in some hot plates.... 8)

Also running the ICE for 120V would be much less polluting than a smoky charcoal grill. :mrgreen:

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Integrated photovoltaic panels - either on dashboard or integrated into rear and side windows - to trickle charge and keep all batteries topped off, especially in subfreezing weather.
    2. SI options - able to toggle between SI and inch-pound measuring units, i.e., for temperature, distance, etc. I want to see outside and inside temperature in °C.
    3. Heated lumbar area of seats.
    4. Integrated turn signals in side mirrors.
    5. Passive air flow through vents (does not require air conditioner being on).
    6. iPod (MP3) connection, as with BMWs
    7. Heated cup-holder in front.
    8. Better use of overhead panel (lights, glasses), but also audio and climate, space.
    9. Genuine spare tire (vs. short-lived donut).
    10. Cradle or better accomodation for cell phone and charger cord.

8. techogurl

techogurl New Member

FIRST: I'd like to have all the options that other countries get available to the US market for a fair price.

- Seats with full adjustment (lumbar, heat, height, etc)

- A bit better rear view... still seems a tad small

As for leather... isn't it available from the factory? I had the option of getting one with leather new when I was calling around.

Also I noticed that some of the things listed are small things that can be modded such as cup lights and potentially heated cup holders.

You can also buy a solar panel that will plug into your cigarette lighter. My sister uses one on her Beetle whenever she goes out of town and leaves the car sitting.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I doubt a factory equpped outlet would handle the wattage for a hot plate. Few add-ons would either.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, in the midwest that would be a dealer add-on aftermarket thing. In the SE region there is apparently a Port option for Leather. No factory leather is available.

That is true, and I have one, but it won't work unless you mod the cigarette lighter to be active at all times b/c they are defaulted to shut off on the Prius and thus won't trickle charge the battery or charge your cell phone.

I attached alligator clamps to my battery terminals and can plug the solar panel in when needed quickly.

11. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I'd just like better quality interior materials, and more a la carte options (less packages).

12. jchu

jchu New Member

Since the car is drive by wire in many respects. How about a Joystick for throttle and steering control as opposed to the antiquated steering wheel. Think Jet Fighter type set up. 8)

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1-Liter soda bottles are all that fit snugly in my front cupholder. Anything smaller rattles around.

It may be cheap-looking but workable to use one for a drink bottle...

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wish list.
    1 Much better power seats with multiple adjustments and memory.
    2 True Auto off and on lights.
    3 All the adjustments to the system assessable by the touch screen. Stop this Mickey Mouse hold the odometer trip button punch the park button while rubbing your tummy and patting your head! We have a wonderful in put device here. USE IT :cussing: Turning off the back up reseting the oil change changing the door options. All of this should be in a set of menus on the touch screen for all of this.
    4 A working EV button.

15. tntna

tntna New Member

MP3 cabable cd player...

16. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How about daytime running lights for cars with the HID headlights. Perhaps the foglights could serve this purpose.

Also, how about an on/off switch for the traction control system so that you can override the system and use the wheelspin to move in situations where the traction control would leave you stopped.

17. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seat height adjust for drivers seat.

Easy way to bring in outside unprocessed air.

Combine 'consumption' and 'that other screen that shows engine mode' into one screen. There is too much eye candy and not enough information in the separate screens. Especially the one with the animated wheels, just some symbols that change color and/or and engine and generator/motor tach (that has charge and discharge side) would be better.

Get rid of radio/cd controls on main screen. I have too many times wanted to tune radio on trips and can simply not read the screen because of light glare. There is much blank unused space above radio that could show station tuned to and cd track.

Al

18. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One more...

An ability to tell (say for a 15min period) engine control to minimize or maximize usage of battery.

This was most needed on my Thanksgiving trip, with long hills. I charged up battery to full bars, then had a flat then a hill to go up. The car used up all those full bars to like 40% charge (on flat 50mph), then on the up hill it drained battery and the little engine just screamed to get up the last bit of hill as there was no more battery left. I could have told the car to save on battery and not had this situation (a couple of times)

Al

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :idea: The PRIUS has so many GOODIES, but for me, I would wish for the following available NOT as aftermarket but as package options:

1. Body Side Mouldings

2. Mud Guards

3. Programmable Voice Commands (Like my Cellphone)

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess the power seats are a given.

but separate the options. i dont like the all or nothing package the Prius offers.

to put BT, audio and NAV together without an option to separate sucks.

and like Henry, i want all programmable options to be available when driving on the touchscreen.