1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What features would make you jump ship?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beamsley, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great, and I will applaud them once the 'concept' goes into production with the same stats.

2. jeminy9

jeminy9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Prius prime got totaled last week, Toyota's feature of having customers deal with dealers and price gouging is making me switch to Tesla or Chevy.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In real life, the Prime is more efficient than a 2019-2020 Model 3 (pre-heat pump). I consistently beat my two friends who have Model 3s in consumption. I was around 11-12kWh/100km in the summer (record was 9.0kWh/100km, travelled 63km) and 15 kWh/100km (worse was 20kWh/100km when I was pushing 10-15cm of freshly fallen snow. I did make the round trip home in full EV but barely… around 23-25km of range that day)

pakitt, Louis19 and Isaac Zachary like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. chevy dealers don't gouge?

5. jeminy9

jeminy9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy lists price for every car at dealership, most of their EV’s are being sold at MSRP or $500 less with $7500 tax credit. Chevy website also shows window sticker of every car and price break down of dealer price, so it’s easy to filter for good price and dealer. Very unlike Toyota, especially in south where Gulf states company is the only one authorized to sell Toyota.

pakitt and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably because of the difference in demand, rather than ethical business practices

Todd Bonzalez and moonmist like this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Interesting if Chevy's effort is sincere. However, truth be told...I have *never* had a good experience with a dealership of a 'USA automaker'....nor their vehicles. Maybe it is worth a relook though. (y)

8. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had a great experience with any dealership. The worst I had was with a Nissan dealership. Back when I had my Leaf I asked to get a key made and also wanted to have it converted from 2G to 3G due to AT&T's 2G sunset. They said yes and I drove through a snow storm, all 73 miles, and barely made it with any charge left, just to be told they couldn't even make another key fob. They didn't tell me until I was already there. So I was stuck at a Level 2 charger for 4 hours. Thankfully the weather cleared and we made it back fine.

I don't know if I can blame dealerships for price gouging. I hate it very much, but if people are willing to pay for something, what can you do. I don't see any difference between dealerships price gouging and people selling their used cars for almost new prices. As a used car buyer, anyone selling a used car is basically the same as the dealership to me.

9. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have not read the replies…still waking up. Scotty Kilmer just did s utube :) video on a new Corolla hybrid…was too darn early hearing that voice lol.
    Guessing that uses the prior gen prius engine maybe thu…other than not being a hatch back would address the ever lowering height of each new gen prius with maybe more relaxed seating ergos. Course one loses all the benefits of no rear hatch sadly.

Todd Bonzalez and Isaac Zachary like this.
  10. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh man I just watched that review and remembered why I stopped watching Scotty Kilmer...

23 grand for a new Corolla hybrid has to be pretty compelling if the Prius "name" isn't the primary concern.

I could be wrong but the engine seems to be the 2ZR-FXE...isn't that the same one used in the current Prius?

#110 Todd Bonzalez, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think that is one and the same as the gen 4... it might have some mods in the corolla..
    Our 06 civic hybrid was 24k... my accountant didn't like the way the 06 prius looked.. I was how do I say, just a bit disappointed when I got the news while away in FL.... she says she got her monies worth out of the car, I guess that's all that matters, but it turned into a huge headache / big ole moneypit for me.
    I wouldn't have minded so much with an 06 insight...

#111 vvillovv, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now, there may be differences in tuning and improvements in the newer ones that happen with time, but the 'core' of the engines are the same between the two models.

The Corolla got the 1.8L from the gen4 Prius. In Europe, the hybrid also had the 2L as an option. That 2L is going into the gen5 Prius.

farmecologist likes this.
  13. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Now that the pricing of the 2023 Prius is out ( and many of us are disappointed ), the Corolla hybrid looks like a heck of a 'deal'. (y) I'm afraid to say that while I love the new Prius, it is quite a bit more than I want to pay.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  14. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Interesting..I had to go digging on the Toyota Ireland site to find the 2.0. It's only an option on the Corolla GR hatchback and the CH-R GR, and makes 6bhp more in the CH-R

upload_2023-1-27_15-40-43.png upload_2023-1-27_15-41-19.png

15. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    And BTW - Here is the Scotty Kilmer video about the Corolla hybrid mentioned above ( sorry )...:ROFLMAO:

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Part of Toyota's plan to keep the Prius viable as a product is to take it more upscale. Of course, that means higher price.

I'm guessing the different countries in Europe are like the US and Canada in that Toyota varies the exact product mix. It appears the UK can choose either for all the trims of the hatchback and touring sports.

A few years ago, a poster somewhere in the EU mentioned getting the 1.8L as a company car, because the 2L's CO2 emissions missed some incentive limit.

17. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Not available in the uk so we have no choice.
    Do you have a link to the poster?

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not to the poster. Was years ago.

This site makes it appear both are available.
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars
    Just to be clear, I was responding to a post about the engine choices for the Corolla hybrids.

19. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So mention of the prius in your post was a mistake. .

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had quoted to different posts in #116. One was talking about the Prius, and the other the Corolla. The software here cut the quotes from a post when the post is quoted, which could confuse the discussion following.